Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ritchey Road bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ritchey Road bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-22, 02:02 PM
masispecial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Really nice. Was the fork adjusted?...the front end doesnt look as steep now, but again- could just be camera angle.
Thanks.
The fork steerer was replaced but the offset is unchanged.
Old 02-27-24, 02:13 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
When Serrotta and True Temper screwed up the 7-11 team bikes (they literally were breaking and to this day there is finger pointing regarding whose fault it was) many of the team bikes were sourced by the cyclists themselves. Andy Hampsten's Land Shark is iconic because when Slawta built it he probably never imagined his bike would with the Giro d'Italia. There was at least one Ritchey bike being ridden by a cyclist on the 7-11 team. I think they all had to buy the "other" bicycles that weren't Serottas out of pocket. Hampsten, like the others received permission to source his own bike not trusting the Serotta's after one broke under him in one of the Belgian Ardennes classics. He said he got a great deal on it. It was displayed in Boulder for years at a LBS. I think Slawta would have paid Andy to ride his bike if he knew the history that bike was going to make. Hampsten is still the only American to ever win the Giro, although other US bicycles have won the Giro (Cannondale twice).

If a Ritchey was good enough for a gran tour its good enough for any of us.
@mtnbike, a zombie quote resurrection after this thread popped back up! I've certainly heard the story of Andy's Landshark. I've never heard of a Ritchey being ridden by a 7-11 team member. Can you provide more details or a reference?

I can only find this article, but it doesn't provide any real details: https://www.cyclingwest.com/columns/...rican-cycling/.
Old 02-27-24, 02:38 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 145 Posts
Here is my 1987 Ritchey. Also adding this link to my best guess timeline for Tom Ritchey made roadbikes from my website.

https://classicrendezvous.com/countr...sa/ritchey-tom

Guy

Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 02-27-24, 02:56 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
@mtnbike, a zombie quote resurrection after this thread popped back up! I've certainly heard the story of Andy's Landshark. I've never heard of a Ritchey being ridden by a 7-11 team member. Can you provide more details or a reference?

I can only find this article, but it doesn't provide any real details: https://www.cyclingwest.com/columns/...rican-cycling/.
Actually it was another Ritchey thread that I boosted earlier today…previous post to yours was couple years old….but who cares, love them Ritcheys. As I recall, Ritchey built Eric Heiden's Murray-badged bike when 7 Eleven rode “Murrays.”

Last edited by Markeologist; 02-27-24 at 08:03 PM.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 02-27-24, 03:30 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 163 Posts
So I had no idea this thread focused on Ritchey’s road bikes existed…it has been resurrected numerous times…the power of Ritchey is strong! So recycled content but if it helps keep this zombie alive, so be it. Here are my two favorite Ritchey road bikes, both tandems. I’m posting current as well as historic photos of both. Red one is mine and was formerly owned by the late, great cycling scribe (and racer) Owen Mulholland. I first saw it hanging up in the Marin Museum of Bicycling and then it showed up on craigslist a few years later…I pounced as my dream tandem was the Ritchey Anchor Steamer as ridden by Otis Guy and Joe Breeze (and it fit, see below)…it hangs where mine once did in the museum. I had the opportunity to but the Anchor Steamer when it was for sale in Larkspur but it was way too big for me…so glad its on display. I’ll post the historic images first and then the bikes as they exist today.

Owen Mulholland and family, the Mrs. evidently said no more family rides after they passed some tour busses on the descent of Mt Tam as I was told by his son, Emile.

The Anchor Steam team after Otis and Joe had to abandon their cross country record attempt. The late Tony Tom was a team member.

My Ritchey tandem parked on bridge that replaced the bridge Owen and family are resting on above.

The Anchor Steamer as it hangs today in the Marin Museum of Bicycling.

If you look closely, you will see my bike, like the Anchor Steamer, originally had a same side drive system…it had the cross-over system when I purchased, maybe someday I get back closer to original. Should also note that besides the cycling greats listed above, during
this period, Grant Petersen also had a Ritchey road tandem which he sold as I recall to fund the kickoff of Rivendell.

Last edited by Markeologist; 02-27-24 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-27-24, 05:10 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
Actually it was another Ritchey thread that I boosted earlier today…previous post to yours was couple years old….but who cares, love them Ritcheys. As I recall, Ritchey built Eric Heiden's Murray-badged bike when 7 Eleven road “Murrays.”
Got it.

I was able to dig this article up, which shows Eric Heiden's Ritchey: https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...mpionship-rig/. Some of the photos don't show up, but those that do clearly show a Tom Ritchey handbuilt with his characteristics.