Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Alivio 9 speed crankset OK for 10 speed drivetrain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 11:03 AM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

I've crunched the numbers. A 22-32-44 would be fine for me on a 11-28 cassette. It pretty much gives me exactly the same range as my 26-36-48 gives me with a 12-32 9 speed cassette, with much closer spacing between gears. That shift between 18 and 21 drives me nuts! Actually, there are times when I also despise the 12-14 and 24-28, depending on terrain. So there ya go.

Switching this out on a Surly Disc Trucker. Bar end shifters, so friction on the FD.

Any problem with these 9 speed chain rings on a 10 speed chain? I've got the 10 speed bar end shifters and rear derailleur.
Old 02-29-24, 11:43 AM
13ollocks

Bikes: '00 LS Vortex/Chorus 12/Campag Zondas, '98 LS Classic/Chorus 10/Rolf Vector Pros

Liked 365 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
I've crunched the numbers. A 22-32-44 would be fine for me on a 11-28 cassette. It pretty much gives me exactly the same range as my 26-36-48 gives me with a 12-32 9 speed cassette, with much closer spacing between gears. That shift between 18 and 21 drives me nuts! Actually, there are times when I also despise the 12-14 and 24-28, depending on terrain. So there ya go.

Switching this out on a Surly Disc Trucker. Bar end shifters, so friction on the FD.

Any problem with these 9 speed chain rings on a 10 speed chain? I've got the 10 speed bar end shifters and rear derailleur.
Different system (Campag Chorus), but I used a 9sp crankset with 10sp for years - no problems at all.
Old 02-29-24, 11:49 AM
JWK

Originally Posted by 13ollocks
Different system (Campag Chorus), but I used a 9sp crankset with 10sp for years - no problems at all.
Thank you for the response.

After looking into it further, I've discovered I'm actually not the first genius to think this scenario up. Apparently, lots of people have done it and it works fine. I was going to stick with 9 speed, but the 10 speed stuff is now so much more versatile, and 9 speed components are almost extinct. I could actually just buy another Alivio for the 26-36-48 rings if I want higher gearing. It's cheaper than trying to replace rings.

Now I just wait for spring.
Old 02-29-24, 12:36 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Liked 176 Times in 104 Posts
As another data point, I've got a bike setup with 11-speed chain on a triple crank intended for 9-speed chain. Works fine with a friction shifter.
Old 02-29-24, 02:16 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by Arrowana
As another data point, I've got a bike setup with 11-speed chain on a triple crank intended for 9-speed chain. Works fine with a friction shifter.
Even better news. Thanks for that.

Someday 11 speed is going to be on the way out and inexpensive, like 9 speed was a handful of years ago. However, I do not anticipate me giving up my triple willingly. I was glad to go to 10 speed and will probably be happy to go to 11 speed when that time comes. Methinks the road will end there, and that's OK with me.