Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Quick photoshoot of the 1984 Raleigh Racing USA Prestige

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-23, 06:04 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Liked 5,353 Times in 1,860 Posts

Still haven't gotten a ride on this one yet but I figured I'd grab some real photo's of how it's setup right now. Still needs the new chain I keep forgetting about and then I may wind up doing something about the brakes. Overall the bike looks pretty good until you get really close to it and notice the 40 years worth of wear. I've also got the original Superbe wheels back from the LBS and ready to go back on the bike if that's how I decide to go. The rear wheel was a bit of a mess so I asked the LBS to just relace it. Lot's going on with the old spokes to include some mis-sized replacements and such. They also put a proper spacer on the rear hub vs what seemed to be some miscellaneous washers.

I do like the look of the more modern wheels on this.

Flite saddle seemed like the right choice for this. If I keep this one though and ride it a lot I'll need to swap this saddle. They don't work well for me.

The finish isn't factory fresh but it's not too bad

Most of the chrome is still pretty good.

Decals are surviving pretty well

First time I've had one of these "aero" headsets or a stem with this kind of clamping system

The hoods fit the body well and feel good but are a bit too long and tall.

Superbe Pro goodness!

I love the look of this crankset.

Superbe Pro goodness!
Old 11-25-23, 06:10 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Superbe goodness

Superbe goodness

Not a fan of these brakes

Good decal to let other's know what kind of bike is beating them, LOL!

Raleigh of America

The infamous 555SL "mystery tubing"

Cable housing enters these brakes at an odd angle to me.

Beautiful head tube

Another overall shot of the bike

Gold bolts to dress it up a bit.
Old 11-25-23, 08:29 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Liked 797 Times in 375 Posts
Beaut of a bike! Bridgestone or Merida?
Old 11-25-23, 10:17 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Beaut of a bike! Bridgestone or Merida?
IDK, one of the great mystery's of life. Just like what is 555 SL tubing really.
Old 11-26-23, 12:33 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Liked 536 Times in 237 Posts
Really nice bike altogether.

Those brakes look like they seemed a good idea on paper or in a schematic but maybe in practice weren't that great. How is the lever feel? Stopping power?

Your photography is usually impressive. What camera(s) are you using?

Cheers.
Old 11-26-23, 02:07 AM
repechage

Liked 2,846 Times in 2,007 Posts
I like those brake calipers, just kind of 80% scale of what was needed to fit bigger cross section tires.
l liked those calipers when they came out, my bike with Campagnolo normal reach calipers adjusted at the middle were just too far a reach for those wee ones. Too bad.
Old 11-26-23, 07:58 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Those brakes look like they seemed a good idea on paper or in a schematic but maybe in practice weren't that great. How is the lever feel? Stopping power?
The Aero Gran Compe calipers work as well as any other single-pivot side-pull caliper of the era. The issues they have are limited vertical adjustment of the pads (they use a cam mechanism rather than a slot), very short reach (37-43mm), and proprietary pad holders that have been out of production for more than three decades.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-26-23, 08:51 AM
plonz 

Liked 491 Times in 311 Posts
Love me some ‘84 Prestige. Magnificent!
Old 11-26-23, 09:25 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,618 Times in 1,525 Posts
Handsome bike. Those brake calipers were designed as attention getters. By the time they were made, brake technology had not budged much in a long time, so the innovation was in styling. Later, cantilever brakes came back in style, dual pivots came out and were very improved, and then we got V brakes which have some advantages. And now disc brakes are popular.

The bike looks small for you, no? What are your plans for it?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-26-23, 09:46 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,091 Times in 1,575 Posts
Beautiful

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-26-23, 09:54 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Really nice bike altogether.

Your photography is usually impressive. What camera(s) are you using?

Cheers.
Most of the time I'm using my old Canon 5D with a manual focus Leica R 60//2.8 macro lens adapted to the EOS mount.. Challenging yesterday in the low light to hold steady on the healing new knee while on some good pain meds, LOL!

Like my preference to older bikes I run a lot of old Leica R, Contax, Pentax, and even Mamiya 645 lenses adapted to the EOS mount. The old glass is still top notch, especially the prime lenses.
Old 11-26-23, 10:00 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by noglider

The bike looks small for you, no? What are your plans for it?
Yeah, unfortunately that is the issue with the Raleighs from this time period. Usually they had the 53/54cm models and then jumped to 57/58cm. I prefer 55/56 frames. This is a 54 and with the timing of the surgery I've not been on it. May not get a chance until spring. It was bought as just another project and because I've always wanted to see and experience one of these Racing USA bikes. If I love the ride it will be a keeper, otherwise I'll either pass it on or maybe this will be next years donation to The Bike Collective.
Old 11-26-23, 10:03 AM
jamesdak 

So for all those with experience with these brakes, am I missing something simple with them? Without the ferrules the angle was causing the housing to enter off enough that the brakes would not release after compressed. Am I doing something stupid?
Old 11-26-23, 10:08 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,021 Times in 679 Posts
very nice bike Even tough I would have preferred to see Shimano Dura Ace 7700 ot 7800 groupset instead of a Suntour groupset
Old 11-26-23, 10:15 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by georges1
very nice bike Even tough I would have preferred to see Shimano Dura Ace 7700 ot 7800 groupset instead of a Suntour groupset
LOL, you sure love your DA.

The Superbe parts were a big reason I did about a 4 hour round trip to get this one. Nothing, and I mean nothing, feels so good in use out on the road as a well tuned Superbe setup.

Old 11-26-23, 11:58 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,021 Times in 679 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, you sure love your DA.

The Superbe parts were a big reason I did about a 4 hour round trip to get this one. Nothing, and I mean nothing, feels so good in use out on the road as a well tuned Superbe setup.

I know I love my DA Your bike is nice anyways, let us know how it rides
Old 04-08-24, 07:27 PM
jamesdak 

Well, this one didn't take long to sell. Went this evening as I was unpacking and going over a Sancineto that arrived today. Another youngster and ex bike mechanic. So that's two Raleighs gone in 4 days and both to mechanics.
Old 04-08-24, 08:10 PM
plonz 

Liked 491 Times in 311 Posts
Congrats on moving out another. Over or under 4?