Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need Outer Cage Plate for Shimano RD-5701s

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-24, 09:41 AM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts

I am in need of replacing the outer cage plate on my Shimano RD-5701s and the Shimano doc says part number

Y5XV98040. The outer cages I see available are part number Y5XH98040 and listed to fit Shimano RD-5700s.

Even though these short cage rear derailleurs look the same, the fact that Shimano has 2 separate part numbers lead me to believe that these 2 outer cages are not interchangeable.

Shot in the dark, but does anyone have any experience with this part?
Old 04-20-24, 11:44 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,963 Times in 1,643 Posts
Sometimes parts are renumbered simply because of cosmetic differences. Not saying this is so, but if the RD was made in different versions, that may be the case.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-20-24, 12:23 PM
KCT1986

Liked 348 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
I am in need of replacing the outer cage plate on my Shimano RD-5701s and the Shimano doc says part number

Y5XV98040. The outer cages I see available are part number Y5XH98040 and listed to fit Shimano RD-5700s.

Even though these short cage rear derailleurs look the same, the fact that Shimano has 2 separate part numbers lead me to believe that these 2 outer cages are not interchangeable.

Shot in the dark, but does anyone have any experience with this part?
For the RD-570?-? series, there are differences in the cage of the models. 1st model was RD-5700. The 2nd version, (5700-A,) uses a different cage that is slightly longer between pulleys, and the placement of the upper pulley relative to the pivot point is different. These slight changes results in added large sprocket capacity & total chain take-up.

3rd version 5701 has the same capacity specs as the 'A' version. So, presumably similar cage specs.

So, swapping a 1st version 5700 outer cage on is possible, it will also require a matching inner cage (shorter pulley to pulley measurement). And the capacities will change.

This info is for the SS versions. Also assumes that the parts are correctly IDed by the seller.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 04-20-24, 12:26 PM
KCT1986

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Sometimes parts are renumbered simply because of cosmetic differences. Not saying this is so, but if the RD was made in different versions, that may be the case.
Not In this case, there is much more going on. See post #3.
Old 04-20-24, 12:57 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
For the RD-570?-? series, there are differences in the cage of the models. 1st model was RD-5700. The 2nd version, (5700-A,) uses a different cage that is slightly longer between pulleys, and the placement of the upper pulley relative to the pivot point is different. These slight changes results in added large sprocket capacity & total chain take-up.

3rd version 5701 has the same capacity specs as the 'A' version. So, presumably similar cage specs.

So, swapping a 1st version 5700 outer cage on is possible, it will also require a matching inner cage (shorter pulley to pulley measurement). And the capacities will change.

This info is for the SS versions. Also assumes that the parts are correctly IDed by the seller.
I think you may have hit it on the head. Logically, the original 5700 version would be the shortest pulley center to pulley center and then to handle larger cogs the pulleys had to be widened as well as the cage mounting holes.

Since I never use more than a 11-25 10sp cassette, my best course of action may be to replace both inner and outer cage frames with the shorter 5700 version assuming there is no difference between the 5700 and 5701 bodies.
Old 04-20-24, 02:22 PM
KCT1986

Originally Posted by gkamieneski
I think you may have hit it on the head. Logically, the original 5700 version would be the shortest pulley center to pulley center and then to handle larger cogs the pulleys had to be widened as well as the cage mounting holes.

Since I never use more than a 11-25 10sp cassette, my best course of action may be to replace both inner and outer cage frames with the shorter 5700 version assuming there is no difference between the 5700 and 5701 bodies.
Yes, as stated prior, the 1st version has shortest C to C, and slight difference in upper pulley location.

Installing new cages should work. Shimano doesn't provide info on the bodies. But, many of the other Shimano RDs of this era used the same attachments method (solid pivot axle, secured by the long thin bolt). DA and Ultegra are sometimes different.

The pivot springs are sometimes different, so you need to check the EV tech doc to see if it seems similar. The 5700s' springs all seems to be the same.