Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Grim reminder

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Grim reminder

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-24, 07:29 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
Grim reminder

My SIL was visiting and in showing her the area we were driving down a beautiful country road that I ride from time to time. I was commenting on how safe the roads are as they have very little traffic. Just as I made the comment we came upon a ghost bike that had not been there three weeks earlier. A sad reminder that no matter how relatively safe a road is you can meet with tragedy anywhere.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-04-24, 07:35 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
You forgot a Photo.

Old 05-04-24, 04:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5900 Post(s)
Liked 2,768 Times in 1,546 Posts
Near my home is a twisty highway with narrow lanes, and no shoulders to speak of. When I drive it with friends of family they all ask why I drive such a "dangerous" road. My pat answer is that the road is fine, just sitting there, and that there are no dangerous roads, just dangerous people.

It is the same in reverse. You never know if some idiot is just around the bend.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-05-24, 05:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4548 Post(s)
Liked 5,060 Times in 3,122 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Near my home is a twisty highway with narrow lanes, and no shoulders to speak of. When I drive it with friends of family they all ask why I drive such a "dangerous" road. My pat answer is that the road is fine, just sitting there, and that there are no dangerous roads, just dangerous people.

It is the same in reverse. You never know if some idiot is just around the bend.
This describes pretty much ALL the roads where I live (Buckinghamshire, UK). Yet they are relatively safe to drive and cycle on.
Old 05-05-24, 01:48 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 866 Posts
Roads that "look dangerous" can have a lower overall crash rate than roads that "feel safer", likely due to greater care and awareness in driving/riding.

Conversely, roads known for steep grades and tight turns can have higher run-off-road crash rates, but in reading the reports it becomes clear that many involved drivers/riders were fully aware of the curvature and the appropriate travel speed, but chose to drive faster for fun / excitement / "the challenge", etc. Conventional run off road crash countermeasures such as enhanced signing, markings, and rumble strips are ineffective, as the driver/rider chose the behavior in response to the curve; e.g. almost the opposite of inattention.
Likes For RCMoeur: