Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery “Van Nuys” touring bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery “Van Nuys” touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-24, 10:32 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 1,079 Times in 800 Posts
I'm going to bet "Netherlands" based solely on the Hatta Swan HS combined with hodge-podge of other Euro and JP bits...good thing I don't bet actual money!
Old 05-05-24, 02:33 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked 4,751 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----
paging His Unfixedness @non-fixie
-----
You rang sir?

It doesn't look at all Dutch to me. And although the name Van Nuys originated in the Netherlands, it is now very much an American name, I believe. Sounds a bit too posh for it to be a bike brand for the Dutch market as well.

It looks like a very well-made frame, and - for what it's worth - some of the details made me look up pictures of the one bike in my own collection that they reminded me of: the Akibo.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-05-24, 07:23 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 155 Posts
I don’t know much of anything about identifying a frame. But my eyes tell me that this is a very unique and great looking bike. Awesome “bones”.

I’d enjoy a thread on its rehab!

The color and the Van Nuys name brings up a semi fond memory of my very first brand new car. A 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS, 25th Anniversary edition. The color was called purple haze with silver stripes. The final year for production of the Camaro in the Van Nuys plant.
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 05-05-24, 08:00 AM
maaakaaa

Bikes: 2011 Giant TranceX, 2015 Ralleigh Rumson, early 1990s Gitane CX, 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1992 Bianchi Project-3, 1994 Norco Blitz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
You rang sir?

It doesn't look at all Dutch to me. And although the name Van Nuys originated in the Netherlands, it is now very much an American name, I believe. Sounds a bit too posh for it to be a bike brand for the Dutch market as well.

It looks like a very well-made frame, and - for what it's worth - some of the details made me look up pictures of the one bike in my own collection that they reminded me of: the Akibo.
I enjoyed looking through your mystery bike post on the Akibo. It’s kind of interesting when the internet just has no information on something, especially pre-internet products. I have a Gitane cyclocross bike and when I’ve looked up about it I think there was just one blog post.
Likes For maaakaaa:
Old 05-05-24, 08:02 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6256 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Pretty sure Van Nuys is a Dutch name. Maybe bike came from The Netherlands.
It is a Dutch name but it is also the name of a suburb of Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley. Van Nuys, CA. Given that the bike is badged from The High Wheeler in Boulder, CO, I’d suspect a frame builder from there rather than a Dutch import.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-05-24, 09:21 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 2,221 Posts
-----

has anyone else noticed that here we are approaching thirty posts on the thread and as yet have not been told tubing diameters or threading standard

a great deal more speculation than substance...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-05-24, 11:54 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
A 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS, 25th Anniversary edition. The color was called purple haze with silver stripes. The final year for production of the Camaro in the Van Nuys plant.
from back when a "Camaro would drive you absolutely...MOD!"
uh, no.
that was more like 1967...yeah, baby

Can't find a video clip, but dig some of these trippy lyrics, man (jingle sung by the Turtles, AKA Phosphorescent Leech and Eddy):
"A Camaro will drive you
Absolutely mod
(Dig that fantastic body by Fisher and)
You're really gonna flip
A Camaro, a Camaro
(Buckle up in hip hugging bucket seats)
You're on a groovy trip
With Camaro, Camaro, Camaro..."

Last edited by unworthy1; 05-05-24 at 12:02 PM.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-05-24, 12:13 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 219 Posts
I suppose it is possible that the name was a tribute to Van Nuys, CA. Having lived in So Cal for many years, including the period when this bike was plausibly built, that possibility strains my imagination.
Old 05-05-24, 12:14 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 3,938 Times in 1,925 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
from back when a "Camaro would drive you absolutely...MOD!"
uh, no.
that was more like 1967...yeah, baby

Can't find a video clip, but dig some of these trippy lyrics, man (jingle sung by the Turtles, AKA Phosphorescent Leech and Eddy):
"A Camaro will drive you
Absolutely mod
(Dig that fantastic body by Fisher and)
You're really gonna flip
A Camaro, a Camaro
(Buckle up in hip hugging bucket seats)
You're on a groovy trip
With Camaro, Camaro, Camaro..."
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 05-05-24, 07:20 PM
maaakaaa

Bikes: 2011 Giant TranceX, 2015 Ralleigh Rumson, early 1990s Gitane CX, 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1992 Bianchi Project-3, 1994 Norco Blitz

-----

has anyone else noticed that here we are approaching thirty posts on the thread and as yet have not been told tubing diameters or threading standard

a great deal more speculation than substance...

-----
Shoot, I took back my cheap digital calipers and keep forgetting to buy better ones. I’ll have to prioritize that and measure tubes.

what’s the best way to judge threading? Will it be enough to know what is threaded into it? Or do I need to be able to measure the threads themselves? I’m glad to do it so long as I know what I’m doing

I finished up a project bike today that was almost done. With something finished I can do better starting a new bike!
Old 05-06-24, 07:01 AM
juvela

------

outer faces of bottom bracket bearing cups are likely to be marked with threading

Hatta headset locknut and adjustable race should show a marking as well

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-06-24, 12:04 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

and if the seat post is marked 27.2 (no confirmation of that yet, IIRC) then no need to measure the tubing diameters, and I don't think Columbus Cromor was ever sold in metric sets, only "Imperial", but checking the inside base of the steerer for "rifling" would be useful.
Otherwise it's the cup markings that may determine if ISO/Brit "1.37 x 24" (and therefore likely Asian-made or possibly Dutch) or Italian "36 x 24" (therefore Italian but could have been made for a Benelux house-brand) on the BB plus any HS markings, if present.
And has OP confirmed what brand(s) are the dropouts and the fork ends? I don't find those details noted in the previous posts, and can't read any stampings in the photos

Last edited by unworthy1; 05-06-24 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-06-24, 04:41 PM
maaakaaa

Pulled wheels and cranks and removed some grime. I have some more info.

Bottom bracket cup is marked 1.37 68 for standard ISO.

Seatpost is indeed 27.2

Headset lock not only states “Hatta Vesta Sealed Japan.”

Dropouts are unmarked, but I’ll add photos of them. There’s a hole for a set screw, or whatever the bolt to position the wheel is called.

If this end up as a keeper I’m inclined to replace the Deore LX biopace crankset with something less clunky and more round, unless someone here convinces me otherwise. Disassembly and cleaning will do a lot for it too. It has a 50t big ring, a little smaller middle with tooth count hidden so far, and 28t granny low.

Interesting cable guide design I haven’t seen
Old 05-06-24, 04:55 PM
juvela

-----

thank you for the additional information

wrt headset -

if thar be a thread marking would expect it to be on underside of locknut and upper face of adjustable race

t'is somewhat moot now since we know what the shell thread is

if frame as late as you suggest threading does little to narrow national origin possibilities since both France and Italy began introducing some ISO in the mid-eighties

-----
Old 05-06-24, 05:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 6256 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts
Originally Posted by maaakaaa
Yesterday I picked up an interesting bike that appears to be a touring model. Not well cared for recently but seems to have good bones. Columbus Chromor tubing seems like it’s pretty nice.

Interestingly though, I can’t find anything online regarding a “Van Nuys” bike. I’d guess it’s the brand, but could maybe be a model name. Searching bikeforums came up with nothing except a city of that name. No head badge. I’m thinking early ‘90s from the LX group with biopace. 700c mismatched wheels, but line up with brakes so I expect they are the original size.

Does anyone have a lead on what I have? I’ll clean it off more to find a serial number in case that helps if it’s made by a different manufacturer. I don’t know who was using Columbus tubing all that well. Thanks!

I acquired the bike in Boulder but unfortunately this shop closed long ago.
Here’s a very old thread by bigbossman where he talks about H. McIver company. He said that the company built badged bikes. Wonder if this could be related to one of those. He doesn’t appear to have posted anything since 2020, however.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-06-24, 05:22 PM
maaakaaa

-----

wrt headset -

if thar be a thread marking would expect it to be on underside of locknut and upper face of adjustable race

t'is somewhat moot now since we know what the shell thread is

if frame as late as you suggest threading does little to narrow national origin possibilities since both France and Italy began introducing some ISO in the mid-eighties

-----
I’m guessing a bit on date, but across the board the components seem to indicate at least late 80s. I can definitely picture someone replacing a derailleur or even wear down a drivetrain, but I doubt they did everything. And I doubt that it is so old that everything would have worn out by that point. I could be wrong, of course, and there’s components like the headset that I don’t know when they were used.
Old 05-06-24, 05:29 PM
juvela

-----

keep in mind we do not know when assembled into a cycle

doubt assembly performed by frame maker

could have been in storage/display for a period of time prior to being assembled into a complete machine...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-06-24, 05:51 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 393 Posts
Pulled wheels and cranks and removed some grime. I have some more info.

Bottom bracket cup is marked 1.37 68 for standard ISO.

Seatpost is indeed 27.2

Headset lock not only states “Hatta Vesta Sealed Japan.”

Dropouts are unmarked, but I’ll add photos of them. There’s a hole for a set screw, or whatever the bolt to position the wheel is called.

If this end up as a keeper I’m inclined to replace the Deore LX biopace crankset with something less clunky and more round, unless someone here convinces me otherwise. Disassembly and cleaning will do a lot for it too. It has a 50t big ring, a little smaller middle with tooth count hidden so far, and 28t granny low.

Interesting cable guide design I haven’t seen
The cable guides, the filled-in lug windows, and the finish work around the dropouts all say top-quality hand built frame to me. The drivetrain and mismatched fenders are certainly incongruous, but I’ve seen (and built) stranger setups. I’m sticking with “well-loved custom frame” as its origin.

The chainrings are probably 28-44-50 teeth. This is the rarely-seen half-step-plus-granny Biopace setup. If the rings aren’t worn you should keep them as a set. To replace the entire crankset I’d go with a Sugino XD-600 triple- my current favorite.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 05-06-24, 11:04 PM
juvela

-----

the drive side dropout exhibits several small and lightly struck markings on the bridge between the seat stay tang and the chain stay tang -

​​​​​​

perhaps if you took a look at them under strong illumination with a bit of magnification you might be able to read something there...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 05-07-24 at 01:13 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-07-24, 10:16 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 162 Posts
-----

the drive side dropout exhibits several small and lightly struck markings on the bridge between the seat stay tang and the chain stay tang -

​​​​​​

-----
Dang, don't tell me it's a modified Simplex dropout!
Old 05-07-24, 11:27 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by Aubergine
Dang, don't tell me it's a modified Simplex dropout!
highly doubt it, never saw a shorty Simplex DO with eyelet, "conventional" hanger stop and axle-stop threaded screw. If this isn't Italian then perhaps JP, but doesn't exactly match up with any of the major brands I see on Velobase
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-10-24, 03:51 PM
maaakaaa

-----

​​​​​​

perhaps if you took a look at them under strong illumination with a bit of magnification you might be able to read something there...

-----
Just got a look with a flashlight and I don’t see any marks, though in the photo I can tell what you’re seeing.

I did however take a closer look at the fork ends again and I see stamped in them “SHIMANO” with more characters just above it that look like maybe “SE22.” The 22 is pretty clear at least.

I also got calipers this afternoon and measured the tubes. I was getting approximately 28.8 for seat tube and down tube and 25.6 on the top tube. I had a little variation depending on where I measured.
Likes For maaakaaa:
Old 05-10-24, 07:51 PM
juvela

-----

apologies for my poor tip on the dropouts

Shimano ends tend to be supportive of the idea of a Flanderland origin

nominal tube diameters are 28.6 for down & seat, 25.4 for top

these measurements can be very slightly enlarged by the presence of the paint finish

sometimes the heat of brazing can put a tube slightly out of round, depending upon where one measures

-----

Last edited by juvela; 05-10-24 at 07:59 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-10-24, 07:53 PM
maaakaaa

Before I got home I tried adjusting lighting on that photo and it looked even more like some kind of stamp in the back.

i didn’t even know Shimano made dropouts.
Old 05-10-24, 08:39 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 393 Posts
Before I got home I tried adjusting lighting on that photo and it looked even more like some kind of stamp in the back.

i didn’t even know Shimano made dropouts.
Yes. You can see them on this page of the 1982 Shimano dealer catalog:
https:/www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/31.html

I remember shipping a couple sets when I worked at Euro-Asia Imports, a wholesaler in Southern California. (And, ironically, about 20 miles from Van Nuys, California.)

We definitely sold more sets of Campagnolo dropouts.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.