Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repairing a dent in a steel frame?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Repairing a dent in a steel frame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 04:59 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Old 11-26-08, 11:03 AM
MotoIdaho
'73 Motobecane, Catrike

Bikes: '73 Motobecane, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photos Finally!

Sorry about the delay, but other small things, like work interfered. Here are the pictures of the dent, in a valuable (to me) steel frame that I would like to save.

Here is a crazy idea, if I removed the stem and the seat post, I think I would have access to both ends of the top tube. Why not attach strong cables to a steel ball of appropriate size, and run it through the tube with a cable attached to each end, and use it in a dental floss action, and strike the dent from the inside of the tube?

The dent was from a recent "fall over" incident in which my wife hit a curb, and "fell over", so I can't yell at her too much.

Last edited by MotoIdaho; 11-26-08 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-26-08, 11:36 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3407 Post(s)
Liked 5,590 Times in 2,902 Posts
Originally Posted by MotoIdaho
Here is a crazy idea, if I removed the stem and the seat post, I think I would have access to both ends of the top tube. Why not attach strong cables to a steel ball of appropriate size, and run it through the tube with a cable attached to each end, and use it in a dental floss action, and strike the dent from the inside of the tube?
There probably are holes drilled in the head tube and seat tube inside the ends of the top tube, and they are probably a fraction of the diameter of the top tube. Pull out your seatpost and take a look.
Old 11-26-08, 12:04 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
There probably are holes drilled in the head tube and seat tube inside the ends of the top tube, and they are probably a fraction of the diameter of the top tube. Pull out your seatpost and take a look.
When a frame is made the ends of the top tube are left open and attached to the head and seat tub - where holes are usually drilled, but the holes are smaller diameter than the ID of the top tube. It may be possible to get a steel ball on a a cable in there, but it won't be a ball anywhere near the ID of the tube. For this to work you would have to apply a large force to the inside wall of the tube, and it is impossible to apply a lateral foce with a cable (you can't push a rope).

If I were the OP, I would get the alignment checked by a compentent shop or builder - if the alignment is good then no problem. If the alignment is off then bend it back to straight.

When I first started racing mountain bikes, I was given a medium-lightweight steel frame with a large dent in the top tube (tube actually bent at the dent). In my teenage wisdom I decided the way to fix it was to hit the frame with a 10 pound sledge hammer to put an approximately equal dent in the other side. The frame straightened out and I raced that bike off-road for two years, and it still exists today as a cruiser bike at my camp. There was never any hint of a crack or buckling.
Old 11-27-08, 12:56 AM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Dents in steel bikes aren't usually a problem. Actually a "dent" can give form stability to a round tube. Take some of the Colonago steel framesets. I would say that you could safely ride your bike for some time before you have to worry. But the picture shows a significant "crease" dent orthogonal to the tube. A significant sideways impact would cause a problem. I think it will eventually crack due to corrosion. Apply some paint and ride it until you want to replace the tube. This is an older steel frame and is fairly thick tubing compared to some of the recent frames. A good thing is that it is a lugged frame and the top tube can be replaced easily. It would probably cost $200 to replace the TT and some $$ to repaint the TT and areas around the lugs. Check with a local builder of contact Nobilette (Longmont, CO) or Bilenky (Philly I think). They can do very good frame repairs.
Forget the steel ball idea. Frame alloys for steel bikes have a very high modulus and aren't easily repaired. The steel on autos is very soft comparably. There is a set of rollers that can be used to roll out some of the dent's flare but, there will be some paint damage and the crease will remain. If you have a good frame builder in your area take the bike by. This is the time of year that builders can get to repairs because the new bike orders are down.

I recently dented the down tube of my Columbus Neuron (lightest of all steel tubing) in a crash. It is on the bottom of the DT so I don't see it (out of sight out of mind). The bike is a Mondonico Diamond Extra moltini orange. I will eventually replace the down tube and put in S&S couplers in for traveling. I am going to wait until it needs a paint job. Right now it is still beautiful.
I am not worried about the dent and would use the bondo route if I wanted cosmetic perfection. The paint wasn't damaged. I just wax my frames periodically to prevent any problems (and it makes the frame look nice). The frame alignment wasn't compromised and there are no twitches in fast descents so the frame is "good."
I recently sold an old 1999 Columbus FOCO tubing frame. The Shaped tubing makes for a very tough frame. It was thin but my Neuron tubeset is even thinner (and round). Unless the bike alignment or performance is in doubt don't worry. The only frames I have seen crack is from front end crashes where the top and down tubes are both bent across the whole tube diameter and the paint was compromised. I bought an old Torelli cross frame built with "seamed" tubing that was in a front end crash. I rode the bike for 3 years before I noted a crack in the tubing. I will eventually replace the tubes of the lugged cross bike when I have some Idle cash (a joke these days). Another nice thing about steel is that it will crack slowly and usually not fail catastrophically like Aluminum, Ti, or Carbon from a stressed frame. Ti is a very strong material but I have seen failure around welds from embrittlement caused by Oxygen during welding.

Last edited by Deanster04; 11-27-08 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-27-08, 07:36 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Titanium is actually embrittled more by hydrogen than oxyen or nitrogen. It would have to absorb a lot more of those to get brittle compared to hydrogen. But yea, that's the idea.

As for the tiny dent in the top-tube, there's simply zero easy and inexpensive way to repair it. It doesn't pose ANY structural issues, so I wouldn't worry about that. Really, the ONLY way to repair that dent is to replace that tube with a new one. That means unbrazing all the tubes of the main triangle to replace it. I can do it for you as I've got all the equipment and built several frames for myself. I'll estimate about 10-15 hours @ 250/hr.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 11-27-08 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-27-08, 08:31 PM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm still going to say that that that dent can be mostly popped back out with some hardwood tube clamp blocks, a bench vise, and some elbow grease.
You clamp the tube over the dent, tighten the vise until you feel a decent amount of resistance, rotate the tube in the blocks by pushing/pulling the frame's downtube, tighten some more, rotate, etc. until the clamp blocks are completely bottomed out on the tube surface. The pressure on the high spots around the dent will force the tube wall to pop back out where it was indented.
Old 11-28-08, 11:33 AM
Squeazel
Luddite

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Cannondale Synapse, Bianchi Aquiletta Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1, after looking at it. I'd give the blocks with a hole through them a try to get the tube round again, *then* bondo.
Old 11-28-08, 09:53 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't touch it at all. Just ride it.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-28-08, 10:46 PM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just noticed that your cable guide is probably behind that ruler. That puts it too close to the dent to allow you to clamp some blocks there. You'd need to have the guide properly removed to get the dent fixed. It could be brazed back on afterward.
Might want to call up a local framebuilder for an estimate to see if you think it's worth the expense.
That Fuji's toptube is tough enough. You'd be doing this primarily for cosmetic reasons.
Old 12-01-08, 03:19 PM
MotoIdaho
'73 Motobecane, Catrike

Bikes: '73 Motobecane, Catrike Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for advice. I took the seat post out, and the hole leading into the top tube was only about 1/4". I may get the tube replaced someday, but for now the plan is to ride it, and fill it bondo it if I ever paint it. Thanks for the skilled analysis by all. Bob
Old 05-05-24, 01:57 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Without posting the picture first, the people here did not realize how bad it was, while I do not think that it seriously affects the strength of that Fuji, it is only repairable by a framemaker. I agree with the person who suggested replacing the frame. Craigslist usually has good frames in the bike parts section that are very reasonably priced. This falls under the heading of "**** happens" usually when you can least afford it. That appears to be a 56 cm frame, which is the most common size.

'
Old 05-05-24, 02:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5900 Post(s)
Liked 2,771 Times in 1,546 Posts
Why? Why? Why?
Why would you revive a 16year old Zombie thread to add this?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-05-24, 02:16 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 695 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Without posting the picture first, the people here did not realize how bad it was, while I do not think that it seriously affects the strength of that Fuji, it is only repairable by a framemaker. I agree with the person who suggested replacing the frame. Craigslist usually has good frames in the bike parts section that are very reasonably priced. This falls under the heading of "**** happens" usually when you can least afford it. That appears to be a 56 cm frame, which is the most common size.

'
Let’s hope he had the opportunity to save up over the 14 years since he made this post.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-05-24, 05:15 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Liked 6,706 Times in 3,842 Posts
Zombie thread has been closed.

Likes For cb400bill: