Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Shorts' Padding = Crotch Pain!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling Shorts' Padding = Crotch Pain!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 11:28 AM
peiffer83

Bikes: 2007 Giant TCR A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MONGO!
F Pearl Izumi, over priced and not very good.

These are a great deal for $25

https://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...YCLING,Cycling
+1 Bought two, work great for the price.

Last edited by peiffer83; 12-05-08 at 11:34 AM.
Likes For peiffer83:
Old 12-05-08, 11:59 AM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've had good luck with the shorts from www.aevero.com
Old 12-05-08, 12:25 PM
GrotonPaul

Bikes: Serotta Fierte Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to stop devouring pie.
Old 12-05-08, 08:13 PM
iDevourPie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everybody. I adjusted the seat a little bit, made sure I was wearing the shorts right, and double-checked my posture. It's all good now.
Likes For iDevourPie:
Old 04-30-24, 06:45 PM
SineathE

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't seem to find a pair of shorts that have good padding for the perineum area. That's the only area I need padding. Reluctant to spend lots of money since I don't know whether a $300 pair would have sufficient padding in the perineum either.
Old 04-30-24, 06:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Liked 5,718 Times in 2,887 Posts
Thanks for the update. Nothing to do but keep trying.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-30-24, 08:33 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by SineathE
I can't seem to find a pair of shorts that have good padding for the perineum area. That's the only area I need padding. Reluctant to spend lots of money since I don't know whether a $300 pair would have sufficient padding in the perineum either.
You might be better served by looking for a saddle that has a perineum cutout, rather than trying to pad the area. I like the Terry saddles (link https://www.terrybicycles.com/saddles/womens-saddles) and have several on my bikes
Old 04-30-24, 10:47 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 370 Posts
Yep, time for a saddle with a cut out. Padding the perineum area only creates more pressure there. Good luck
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 05-01-24, 08:40 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 306 Posts
Best shorts I've ever had were Kuchariks... Plain old wool, real chamois, NO pad. Simply wonderful.
Old 05-01-24, 10:08 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Best shorts I've ever had were Kuchariks... Plain old wool, real chamois, NO pad. Simply wonderful.
Sadly, Kucharik is out of business now (retired and closed the store.) I still have a pair of his shorts, and a pair of bibs with the hidden flap, useful for emergency roadside relief.

To the OP - you may also want to consider using something like Chamois Butter or Assos cream.
Old 05-01-24, 08:36 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 384 Posts
Boure (boure.com) uses a thin pad for their lowest priced shorts. They size by hip size. I like the pair I have, but they're too rich for my blood budget now. Voler makes good stuff, but they're now in Boure's price range.

I got a pair of P-I Attack shorts last year on closeout. I'm not favorably impressed by the quality, but they're comfortable. I just don't know how long they'll last - no flat stitching, for example.

IDK ... the Boure shorts seem to look and feel as good as new, and I put them into service at the end of 2016. I 've used them once or twice a week during SUmmers and warm days in Spring and Fall 2017-2023 - 7 years for$80 ... not bad. Boure used to put their pad into shorts you send them.

The thing with thickpads and the perineum, is that the pads compress and put pressure on the perineum, which is usually exactly the opposite of what is needed.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 05-02-24, 05:35 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 254 Posts
It's not necessarily the "quality" of the shorts, it could be that the pad just doesn't fit with your particular anatomy.

I rode Performance brand bibs for years, then I got a gift certificate to a bike shop and decided to buy some "nice" bibs - they were about double the cost of the Performance brand bibs. Unfortunately, the "nice" bibs rubbed me raw - I was literally bleeding after a 3 hr ride. That particular brand/model just didn't work with my body, though it worked great for many others. (I tried to make them work, because they cost so much, but they were never comfortable for me.)

You might need to experiment to see if another brand/model works for you. Unfortunately, nothing stays the same and shorts/bibs tend to change nearly every year nowadays, so if you find shorts that work for you, take my advice and buy several, if you can.
Old 05-03-24, 02:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10537 Post(s)
Liked 12,114 Times in 6,200 Posts
Once you find some shorts/bibs you like, buy several pair so you can always have a clean pair when you ride, especially if you use chamois cream. I have 6 pairs, so I can ride an entire week (with one or two rest days) and then wash them all at once. It may seem like an extravagance, but they also last a long time if only worn for an hour or two (or 4) a week!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-04-24, 08:30 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 467 Posts
+1 on seat with cutout for perineum/crotch pain. Suggest Selle SMP TRK, the biggest advancement in cycling since the derailleur.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 05-05-24, 11:14 AM
rv_biker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by philbob57

The thing with thickpads and the perineum, is that the pads compress and put pressure on the perineum, which is usually exactly the opposite of what is needed.
I've always found this to be the problem with most of the shorts out there. It always seemed dumb to me that we build saddles with cutouts to relive pressure on the perinium, then we put thick pads in that area in shorts and bring the pressure right back. The shorts designers and the saddle designers need to get on the same page.
Likes For rv_biker:
Old 05-05-24, 11:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Liked 5,718 Times in 2,887 Posts
The resurrectionist has not returned.
Old 05-05-24, 11:24 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 3,093 Times in 1,759 Posts
Originally Posted by SineathE
Very early on in my racing career, I had my saddle too high. Perineum discomfort was constant, but I assumed that it was just part of bike racing, until a guy riding next to me told me I needed to drop my saddle. Brought it down about a centimeter, or maybe more, and that took care of the problem.

Bike fitters often report that the proportion of riders that they see with saddles too high is roughly 50%. (Riders who find that they have to tilt their saddle noses down for comfort usually have their saddles too high.) Might not be the case with you, but it's worth experimenting with dropping the saddle.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-05-24, 11:41 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 3,093 Times in 1,759 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
I rode wool bike shorts starting in 1963 until our bike shop received our first shipment of Giordana Lycra shorts around 1980. I was happy with the wool and leather when that was all there was. I still have one pair in a drawer, with the chamois worn thin.

The real chamois was fine, and the artificial chamois was and is fine, too. I prefer the way Lycra shorts feel, but I was OK with wool for over 15 years.

Counterpoint (quoting myself from a previous thread):

Grant Petersen once conducted an interview with Maynard Hershon, a longtime writer, particularly about bicycles and motorcycles, and one of Grant's mentors, in which he asked what Hershon considered the most important innovation in the world of bicycles in recent decades. Hershon immediately replied, "Lycra shorts."

Grant said, "You must not have tried a pair of Kucharik wool shorts. They're wonderful."

Some backing-and-forthing ensued, ending with:

Grant: "You really need to try the Kucharik shorts. I'll send you a pair."

Maynard: "I love you, Grant. Please don't send me any wool shorts."
Old 05-05-24, 12:00 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Once you find some shorts/bibs you like, buy several pair so you can always have a clean pair when you ride, especially if you use chamois cream. I have 6 pairs, so I can ride an entire week (with one or two rest days) and then wash them all at once. It may seem like an extravagance, but they also last a long time if only worn for an hour or two (or 4) a week!
Good call on having multiple pairs of bibs, but better to wash bibs sooner rather than later after a ride; I generally do it right after or by the next day.
Old 05-05-24, 01:32 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked 3,695 Times in 1,851 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Good call on having multiple pairs of bibs, but better to wash bibs sooner rather than later after a ride; I generally do it right after or by the next day.
If you remove your bibs and immediately hang them to dry, you can delay washing them for a few days and still avoid the "stank".

Bacteria need liquid water to live and grow. If you take away their water, they are powerless.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-05-24, 02:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10537 Post(s)
Liked 12,114 Times in 6,200 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
If you remove your bibs and immediately hang them to dry, you can delay washing them for a few days and still avoid the "stank".

Bacteria need liquid water to live and grow. If you take away their water, they are powerless.
Bingo. I always hang up my bibs and jersey to dry after a ride. I only toss them in a basket the next day.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-05-24, 08:10 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 370 Posts
I rinse my kit in the shower before I jump in, then spin it when I get out which removes most of the water, and then hang them in the shower to finish drying. By doing that I only have to sterilize and give them a complete laundering every 3-5 days. That's my system and it's worked for me for quite a few years. When I worked S&R and we were in the woods for days on end, we used talcum powder, but that's got nothing to do with biking. Where I'm going with this is, the only time I've ever had an itch or other down there was when I weeed in a poison ivy patch. I digress.