Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much faster would I be with better wheels & tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How much faster would I be with better wheels & tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 09:11 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10541 Post(s)
Liked 12,115 Times in 6,201 Posts
So, what I'm gleaning from this discussion is that 1) the answer to the question the OP asked is, "A bit." and 2) the difference in acceleration between the 500g Mavic CXP30 rims that came on my Ritchey and the 425g Velocity Aeroheds I later replaced them with was probably just placebo effect.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-06-24, 09:48 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
So, what I'm gleaning from this discussion is that 1) the answer to the question the OP asked is, "A bit." and 2) the difference in acceleration between the 500g Mavic CXP30 rims that came on my Ritchey and the 425g Velocity Aeroheds I later replaced them with was probably just placebo effect.
Close. The OP asked about both wheels and tires. The tires effect scales like slope, and that effect can outweigh (heh) weight differences. The wheel effect is almost entirely captured by difference in weight: the acceleration you feel isn't a placebo exactly: you may actually feel it. What you may not be feeling is the deceleration that matches the acceleration. A different wheel may accelerate more slowly but it will also lose speed more slowly, so the net effect over the climb is almost entirely determined by the difference in gross weight, not a difference in the wheel's moment of inertia. That 75 g difference in wheel weight would, over the course of a climb, look just like a difference of 75 g in a water bottle.

But nice tires and wheels feel nice, so there's that.
Likes For RChung:
Old 05-06-24, 09:55 AM
TX_master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by marko_1111
I've been riding all winter on HardCase Lite R3 tires that came on a Trek I bought last fall with zero flats for 2200+ miles, and I've sure liked the zero flat part as well. I don't ride in the mountains in winter so I figured I'd beat em up on bad roads and see how it went. Didn't care so much about performance off season and they've served their purpose. No, they're not supple and I wouldn't want to ride anything challenging at all on them and I'll lose them going into summer. I had similar tires on a different Trek a few years ago and knew on my first ride down a mountain they had to go straight away. So anyway I have recent experience with similar tires

You're gonna flat more regularly. Period. I usually ride GP5s in winter and don't get many but some

Pretty sure your tires are around twice as heavy as a better performing choice, so you'll immediately lose about a pound from your wheels. It's gonna feel different and better whether or not you're faster, and it'll handle way better when you need it

I replaced my last stock wheels because they weren't stiff enough for me, but I'm going to replace the ones on the new Trek because they're just too heavy and narrow. Unsure about the faster part, but if you go aero they'll definitely look cooler
I'll give you a recent real world from myself. I had been riding an older Felt Z25 CF bike that had mechanical Shimano 105, Vision Team Comp 30 wheelset (1990 grams/pair claimed weight on Vision's website) and Vittoria Zaffiro Pro tires (durable but slow). I ride a 2 mile closed loop in my neighborhood and for a 20 mile ride on this circuit with the Felt the best I've averaged is 19mph using the faster of the multiple ride profiles I've worked up for this circuit.

I just buiilt up a Gary Fisher Rail Super frame w/identical mechanical Shimano 105, but with Ksyrium SL's (1480 grams/pair claimed weight on Mavic's site) and GP5000's. I noticed right away the Fisher was faster than the Felt and today on the same 20 mile ride with the faster profile averaged 19.8 mph. So in my mind it's the greatly reduced rotational mass coupled with the much lower rolling resistance of the GP5000's. I don't ride in the drops on these rides, but on the hoods, while trying to keep myself as small as possible while staying comfortable.

Someone above mentioned they thought a lighter wheel set coupled with a lower rolling resistance tire could give back around 0.5mph and I think this is probably a good ballpark, but it could even be a little more.
Old 05-06-24, 10:20 AM
Qwertyportne

Bikes: Scott Addict 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wide versus Narrow

Not sure if this will help you decide, but it may be worth considering. The weight of you and your bike combine to slightly flatten the tires where the rubber meets the road. This constantly changing shape is called deflection, which is the main cause of rolling resistance. Since it requires energy to overcome deflection, it makes sense to choose tire width, pressure, casing and tread thickness with care. A general rule of thumb is that wide tires have less rolling friction than narrow tires. The reason is that a wide tire has a wider but shorter contact shape, whereas a narrow tire has a slimmer but longer contact shape.

Old 05-06-24, 10:33 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Back in the day, our coach suggested wiring the spokes together at the cross, and it made a noticeable difference in feel.
Back in the day, we relied on Jobst to address this.
Likes For RChung:
Old 05-06-24, 10:40 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by Qwertyportne
This constantly changing shape is called deflection, which is the main cause of rolling resistance. Since it requires energy to overcome deflection, it makes sense to choose tire width, pressure, casing and tread thickness with care. A general rule of thumb is that wide tires have less rolling friction than narrow tires. The reason is that a wide tire has a wider but shorter contact shape, whereas a narrow tire has a slimmer but longer contact shape.
Deflection is not the main "cause" of rolling resistance. When dropped on a hard floor, a basketball will bounce higher than a bowling ball even though the basketball "deflects" more. On a hard surface, inline skate wheels will have lower roller resistance than the old steel wheels on roller skates even though the inline skate wheels "deflect" more. If deflection were the main cause of rolling resistance, we should all be riding on steel wheels which don't "deflect."
Likes For RChung:
Old 05-06-24, 10:47 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked 1,541 Times in 1,066 Posts
Would it be correct to summarize posts #75 and #77 by RChung as the changes in rotational inertia of the wheels during acceleration and deceleration largely cancel out on most rides because the wheels act as flywheels? This presumably assumes that one is not slamming on the brakes all the time?
Old 05-06-24, 11:11 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5049 Post(s)
Liked 8,314 Times in 3,926 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Would it be correct to summarize posts #75 and #77 by RChung as the changes in rotational inertia of the wheels during acceleration and deceleration largely cancel out on most rides because the wheels act as flywheels? This presumably assumes that one is not slamming on the brakes all the time?
That's my understanding.

20+ years ago, I borrowed a friend's Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels for a couple of crit races. They were heavy and aero. They felt sluggish to accelerate, but once spinning over 30mph, the flywheel effect was vivid. However, carrying more speed into corners than those around me also meant more time on the brakes.
Old 05-06-24, 11:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 5,083 Times in 3,137 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
It is actually the differences in acceleration and deceleration which cancel out. The rotational inertia of the wheels is a constant value for a given wheelset. But yes it is because the wheels act as (small) flywheels.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-07-24, 06:08 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 434 Posts
Real world - over the same repeatable flat bike path ride - over 300+ rides on this path.

Trek ALR5 with the heavy/shallow stock wheels and Armadillo Elite tires vs Roval C38's and GP5000's.

About .5 mph in all conditions at similar power levels. Most of that speed came from switching to GP5000's, the rest from the wheels.

This translates to about 10-15w in savings at the same speed.

Last edited by Jughed; 05-07-24 at 06:14 AM.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 05-07-24, 06:22 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked 1,541 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It is actually the differences in acceleration and deceleration which cancel out. The rotational inertia of the wheels is a constant value for a given wheelset. But yes it is because the wheels act as (small) flywheels.
Now that I have studied this: Rotational inertia (article) | Khan Academy, I think I get it!