Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flying Tire Irons

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Flying Tire Irons

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 04:12 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 78 Posts
Flying Tire Irons

Anyone have any secret handshakes on how to keep tire irons from growing wings and flying across the garage (other than changing tires in the kitchen) when you get to the last bit of tire to get inside the rim?
Old 05-06-24, 04:23 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 714 Posts
Take two feet of parachute cord and tie it tightly around the rim and the tire to the left of that last bit that wont go on.
The use the levers to the right side of that last bit. No longer will the left side run away from you.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-06-24, 04:37 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Great - thanks!
Old 05-06-24, 04:38 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 764 Posts
Most bicycle levers, plastic or metal, have a hook on one end that hooks around a spoke so you can leave it, hands free, in place.
Old 05-06-24, 04:42 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Most bicycle levers, plastic or metal, have a hook on one end that hooks around a spoke so you can leave it, hands free, in place.
I've used that hook when taking a tire off, but I can't get my head around how to use it when putting a tire on......
Old 05-06-24, 04:59 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
I've used that hook when taking a tire off, but I can't get my head around how to use it when putting a tire on......
Ahh, brain fart on my part.
Old 05-06-24, 04:59 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3607 Post(s)
Liked 3,025 Times in 1,830 Posts
Don’t use tire levers to install tires?
Old 05-06-24, 05:21 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Ahh, brain fart on my part.
Whew, I was wondering what I've been missing all these years......
Old 05-06-24, 05:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5901 Post(s)
Liked 2,772 Times in 1,546 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Don’t use tire levers to install tires?
+1

Mounting tires is more about finesse than strength or leverage.

So far, after over 50 years, I've never needed tools to mount a tire.

In all fairness, I'm careful about selection of rims, rim tape, and tires, so my solution to hard fits is more about prevention than fix.

However, I also help others mount tires, so it seems that I've either been lucky or skilled.

However, to the OP, maybe the key is to not let go. Or if you absolutely find another way, consider tying a string to the lever.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-06-24, 05:25 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1

So far, after over 50 years, I've never needed tools to mount a tire.
That's impressive! I'd say half of my tires don't need tools to install, half do, and of that half, 10% get returned because they are unusably tight. The string would at least make finding the tire iron easier.......
Old 05-06-24, 05:32 PM
smd4

That's impressive! I'd say half of my tires don't need tools to install, half do, and of that half, 10% get returned because they are unusably tight. The string would at least make finding the tire iron easier.......
So I think I’d be more worried about losing an eye when the lever snaps back on the string!
Old 05-06-24, 05:35 PM
smd4

I admit to never having mounted a tubeless tire, but even then, I suspect there isn’t a tire I couldn’t mount using just my hands.
Old 05-06-24, 05:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Here's some practical advice.

First and most important, replace your rim tape with the thinnest as suitable option. I use filament tape, but urethane rim strips are an equally good option.

If you can find ones you like, buy tires with steel hoop beads rather than Kevlar or similar. Steel beads have the least stretch, so are made truer to size vs. stretchier beads that need to by undersized to allow for that.

When mounting, start opposite the valve, push the tire fully to the center and massage it forward as you work both sides to the valve. You should now be able to finish with hand strength alone. If not, put a tire iron between tire and rim push inward, while trying to lift the tire and crab it along until you can get the last bit over.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-06-24, 05:44 PM
FBinNY 

So I think I’d be more worried about losing an eye when the lever snaps back on the string!
Common sense, measure the string too short to reach your face.

Old 05-06-24, 05:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,083 Times in 1,969 Posts
Common sense, measure the string too short to reach your face.
also, don't be sniffing the tire while using the levers!
Old 05-06-24, 06:09 PM
PromptCritical 

I admit to never having mounted a tubeless tire, but even then, I suspect there isn’t a tire I couldn’t mount using just my hands.
Well, just for kicks, try mounting a Challenge, Strada Bianca in 700x36C, or a Schwalbe - Marathon Plus HS440 Tire on a Bontrager Affinity rim.
Old 05-06-24, 06:11 PM
PromptCritical 

Here's some practical advice.

When mounting, start opposite the valve, push the tire fully to the center and massage it forward as you work both sides to the valve. You should now be able to finish with hand strength alone. If not, put a tire iron between tire and rim push inward, while trying to lift the tire and crab it along until you can get the last bit over.
That's generally how I do it, but I don't start opposite the valve. What is the rationale for that?
Old 05-06-24, 06:35 PM
smd4

I always start at the valve. You want the bead and the valve both properly seated.

Last edited by smd4; 05-06-24 at 07:17 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-06-24, 06:36 PM
smd4

Well, just for kicks, try mounting a Challenge, Strada Bianca in 700x36C, or a Schwalbe - Marathon Plus HS440 Tire on a Bontrager Affinity rim.
I have none of those to try, but I bet you a beer I could do it!
Old 05-06-24, 06:37 PM
FBinNY 

That's generally how I do it, but I don't start opposite the valve. What is the rationale for that?
Isn't that it works good enough?

It's actually very simple. The rim is deepest at the center. The valve blocks that and keeps the tire on the side, costing you what could have been working slack.

Let's step back a moment. I don't know anyone who can't mount the first side fairly easily. So, given that both sides are the same, why do these same people have so much trouble on the second side?

The key is to duplicate first side conditions for the second side.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-06-24, 06:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,083 Times in 1,969 Posts
usually the ole "tim hortons" method works for me... just rrroll it up over the rim!
Old 05-06-24, 06:55 PM
FBinNY 

I always start at the valve. You want the bead properly and the valve both properly seated.
That's easily addressed once both sides are on. Simply push the valve in taking the tube with it, which allows the tire to settle, then pull back out.

But, I don't claim that there's only one way, or even a best way. Whatever works is right.

Old 05-06-24, 07:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,347 Posts
When in my young 20's and working in the shop's basement for hours at a time we'd start to play games. One was "fling that lever" using the partially removed tire's tension to toss the lever as far as we could. Another was upstairs in the showroom and the (then) small assembly stand service spot. We would shoot Hunt Wild bar grips across the room with compressor air, aiming for the Wald baskets we showed on the over the front door peg board. Until the boss entered as a grip was bouncing off the display right above him. Andy
Old 05-06-24, 07:19 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 398 Posts
It's actually very simple. The rim is deepest at the center. The valve blocks that and keeps the tire on the side, costing you what could have been working slack.
I questioned valve last, but that makes sense. Just like a drop-center car wheel. I don't have problems mounting but will remember that.

There's another thread with VegasJen(?) having a terrible time getting a tubeless with foldable bead (so I assume kevlar) to properly seat. But since tubeless, would the above matter? Maybe if the inside of the valve takes up the rim center area. I'm gonna find that thread...

EDIT: Relayed that info to Jen on that thread (with attribution), above about valve side last, and also your comment about kevlar beads may be tighter at first. She *finally* got the bead seated, but this may help for the future. Thanks.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-06-24 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-06-24, 07:29 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
. But since tubeless, would the above matter? Maybe if the inside of the valve takes up the rim center area. I'm gonna find that thread...
As I said earlier, nobody seems to have problems getting the first side on. And if they do, I'd assume they'd take the hint and get other tires.

But, it begs the question, "if you can get one side on, why can't you get the other side on?"

So, to all those struggling, I suggest the key is in the answer to that question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.