Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do I need to replace these tyres?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 09:18 AM
edo_999
Edo

Bikes: Late 80s-early 90s Graham Weigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi there, I’m going to do a 100mile ride in three weeks time and I’d like your advice on the tyres I have on atm. I had these tyres on for about 1yr 1/2 and although the wear hasn’t reached the point when I normally would replace them, they developed a few cracks over the winter. I didn’t have a puncture for a while and they still feel good but I’m a bit anxious to take them for a 100mil ride. What your view on that?

thanks!
Old 05-06-24, 09:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,347 Posts
I would sure replace these tires ASAP. How much is avoiding a flat worth to you? How much to avoid a fall down when it's the front tire that gives out first? Besides new and pliable tires go so far to make the bike's rolling so much nicer. Andy
Old 05-06-24, 09:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6329 Post(s)
Liked 4,918 Times in 3,388 Posts
I've ridden worse. But for a 100 mile ride that is going to be somewhat important to you, I'd recommend you change them. And if that 100 mile ride is with other's, then it's even a little bit more important that you minimize your risk of slowing everyone else down so you don't get a bad reputation.

If you were just going to be riding around locally for shorter rides where a flat or worse wouldn't be big impact on you or anyone else, then I might say ride it till it flats.

Curious though that a 1½ y.o. tire looks like that. Do you keep your bike near something that produces ozone, or ride where there might be harsh chemicals on the road? Or maybe you use something on the tires when you clean them that really isn't that great for tires.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-06-24 at 09:49 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-06-24, 09:59 AM
edo_999
Edo

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I've ridden worse. But for a 100 mile ride that is going to be somewhat important to you, I'd recommend you change them. And if that 100 mile ride is with other's, then it's even a little bit more important that you minimize your risk of slowing everyone else down so you don't get a bad reputation.

If you were just going to be riding around locally for shorter rides where a flat or worse wouldn't be big impact on you or anyone else, then I might say ride it till it flats.

Curious though that a 1½ y.o. tire looks like that. Do you keep your bike near something that produces ozone, or ride where there might be harsh chemicals on the road? Or maybe you use something on the tires when you clean them that really isn't that great for tires.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I found it a bit odd myself. I don’t use any chemical so probably is due to environmental conditions. This is the second time that happened though and I noticed that I both occasions the cracks developed during the winter in cold days. Also, perhaps is worth mentioning that I store my bike outside.
Old 05-06-24, 11:07 AM
edo_999
Edo

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I found it a bit odd myself. I don’t use any chemical so probably is due to environmental conditions. This is the second time that happened though and I noticed that I both occasions the cracks developed during the winter in cold days. Also, perhaps is worth mentioning that I store my bike outside.
Old 05-06-24, 11:33 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 334 Posts
Have also ridden worse and my gut tells me you'll probably be fine to continue riding it but I echo what others have said: if this is an important event to you then is the price of new tires worth the peace of mind that they afford? If you do decide to run these and end up getting a flat, whether related to the damage or not, as a stranger on the internet I offer no warranties with my advice
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 05-06-24, 05:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,114 Times in 2,747 Posts
The biggest question is why don't you like your bike? Bikes only belong outside while riding them. You need new tires and possibly other parts or more maintenance. There is really no real situation where a bike needs to be stored outside. My business partner had at least 3 bikes in a small studio apartment at one point including 2 full suspension bikes one of which being a downhill bike. I can understand if you have a party and need to store outside for a little bit but storing outside intentionally is unfortunately abuse.

Keep your bike in good condition it will save you money and keep your bike in better condition. That way you don't have to replace tires and other parts so often and have to do a little less maintenance since it isn't stuck out in the elements. Imagine storing your laptop outside or leaving other frequently used items outside.

Yes certainly get new tires and please take care of your bike or give it to someone who can care for it. I know it sounds harsh but bikes are not toys or lawn furniture and they deserve better than living outside.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-06-24, 05:57 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,083 Times in 1,969 Posts
if the 100 miler is NTE 7MPH & you bring spares, it might be fine.
Old 05-06-24, 06:11 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 269 Posts
I would ride them for the next two weeks then put new tires on for the week before and the event itself. After the century, I'd put them back on and save the new tires for when these wear out.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 05-07-24, 05:27 AM
edo_999
Edo

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes;[url=tel:23233421
23233421[/url]]The biggest question is why don't you like your bike? Bikes only belong outside while riding them. You need new tires and possibly other parts or more maintenance. There is really no real situation where a bike needs to be stored outside. My business partner had at least 3 bikes in a small studio apartment at one point including 2 full suspension bikes one of which being a downhill bike. I can understand if you have a party and need to store outside for a little bit but storing outside intentionally is unfortunately abuse.

Keep your bike in good condition it will save you money and keep your bike in better condition. That way you don't have to replace tires and other parts so often and have to do a little less maintenance since it isn't stuck out in the elements. Imagine storing your laptop outside or leaving other frequently used items outside.

Yes certainly get new tires and please take care of your bike or give it to someone who can care for it. I know it sounds harsh but bikes are not toys or lawn furniture and they deserve better than living outside.
mate, I love my bike very much! Believe me I would rather keep it in bed with me if I could.
Old 05-07-24, 07:01 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5904 Post(s)
Liked 2,772 Times in 1,546 Posts
I've ridden much worse, but have no rear of managing flats.

So, discounting the fear mongering, it's about you're comfort zone. Also, if this is your first or a timed century where 20 minutes to fix a flat may be a special problem, then go ahead an replace it, even if it's just for peace of mind.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-07-24, 07:27 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,979 Times in 1,238 Posts
I normally wear my tires down before they start looking like this.

That said, looks like those little cracks will grab every bit of grit, broken glass, and wire on the road, and hold them until they work their way through to puncture the tire.

OTOH, the tread looks like it might be a Gatorskin? You may rub the oxidized rubber off the outside in the first ten miles, and then the casing will hold for the next ninety miles.

Maybe you could try a few 25 mile rides in the next couple weeks, and see how the tire looks afterwards. If it's down to good rubber, of sufficient thickness, ride them on your century. If you average a flat every 10 miles, well, I'd have replaced the tire after the first ride.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-07-24, 09:29 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 991 Posts
Look carefully at the picture of your tire. The rubber is cracked in many places. Many of the cracks have tiny stones embedded inside. If a pointy stone becomes embedded in a crack in the rubber it will only work its way deeper until it pierces the tire casing and the inner tube. Maybe not a big deal on a local ride, but it could make the difference during a century ride. New tires don't have cracks in the rubber and new rubber isn't dried out like the tire you have now. During my commuting days, when my tires started to look like yours, flats would become more frequent. I was riding about 1200 km per month at that time. I would wear out about 2-3 sets of tire each year
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-07-24, 09:36 AM
edo_999
Edo

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all for your precious advice! I made up my mind and got myself a new set of Gatorskin and, as suggested by asgelle, I might put the old ones back on just after the ride.
Old 05-07-24, 11:11 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 932 Times in 480 Posts
I’d just go ahead and keep the new tires on. Old ones are ready for the dumpster.
Old 05-07-24, 11:20 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,114 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by edo_999
mate, I love my bike very much! Believe me I would rather keep it in bed with me if I could.
Please do that (minus the bed part though I have a friend who has a bike he built with Campy 50th Anniversary that he has very near his bed but he also has bikes and parts everywhere around his house. I at least have a few spaces free of bike parts) Take care of it like your child and it will take care of you.

Also glad to hear you got new Gatorskins (have fun putting them on) I would keep them on and toss the old tires, they have had a hard life and just want to retire near a nice whisky distillery in Scotland helping them on the weekends doing tastings. Keep the bike indoors from now on and those new tires can last quite a while.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-07-24, 11:58 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 369 Posts
Originally Posted by edo_999
Hi there, I’m going to do a 100mile ride in three weeks time and I’d like your advice on the tyres I have on atm. I had these tyres on for about 1yr 1/2 and although the wear hasn’t reached the point when I normally would replace them, they developed a few cracks over the winter. I didn’t have a puncture for a while and they still feel good but I’m a bit anxious to take them for a 100mil ride. What your view on that?
I wouldn't ride those any further than I minded walking home. These https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313181080692 are really good value if you're on 25-622.