Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Organizing A Swap Meet

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Organizing A Swap Meet

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 08:35 PM
Super_Sport

Bikes: 1966 Schwinn Super Sport, 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1991/92 Fuji Sundance, 1985 Razesa Ritter SL, 1984 Raleigh Grand Mesa, 2019 Surly Pack Rat, 2021 All City Super Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Organizing A Swap Meet

I'm thinking about organizing a swap meet in my town (Columbia, MO) but am trying to figure the best time to do so. Looks like most swap meets are in the spring -- assuming this is because it's prior to the riding season. I'm open to having one in spring but was also considering one in fall. Maybe September or October. Does anyone have any experience holding one in fall? Is it better to hold one in spring?

I'm thinking of holding it at one of our parks, renting a pavilion and charging a vendor fee so I can (hopefully) make my money back on the rental. I'd also have my own booth there of course with parts, bikes and frames/"rollers". I know there's some unpredictability of running a swap and having vendors or buyers show up. What's been the overall experience of anyone that hosts a swap or has been close to someone that's run one? Have they always had vendors/buyers show up?

Anything else I'm missing? I just love going to bicycle swap meets and feel like there may be enough folks in my town to support one but would love to bring in people from out of town as well.

Thanks for the help!
Likes For Super_Sport:
Old 05-06-24, 08:48 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 200 Posts
Spring is usually a better time for swaps. People are willing to part with more cash for their builds. Fall swap meets tend to be a sell-off before winter sets in.

Weather is typically a big concern if you're holding it outside. Even if you have a covered area, inclement weather can destroy a swap with rain / wind / etc.

You might need a vendor permit in some jurisdictions to do this. Check with your local municipality before you put down a deposit.

While you can technically do this on your own, enlisting as much help beforehand tends to work better. Otherwise you're swamped on the day of the swap, with little time to devote to selling your own stuff.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 05-06-24, 10:50 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,949 Times in 878 Posts
Here in the Phoenix area, people have been trying to organize a bike swap off and on for decades, and at best only get a dozen or so vendors - and then a lot fewer in subsequent years. Conversely, in Tucson the local club (GABA) has for decades been successfully running a twice-a-year swap that takes up several city blocks. But it's my understanding it took a lot of diligent work to get it that big, and constant work to keep it that big.

For a first-time swap, I'd suggest keeping the seller fees modest ($5-$10), and publicizing weeks in advance in shops, social media, and other venues (Craigslist). Be prepared to deal with park staff, fire marshals, city business license inspectors, and others who are looking out for the interests of the local jurisdiction and not yours. As for timing, post-snow spring seems logical, although I know some places have good winter swaps in an indoor venue such as a warehouse or pavilion.
Old 05-07-24, 06:30 AM
Super_Sport

Bikes: 1966 Schwinn Super Sport, 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1991/92 Fuji Sundance, 1985 Razesa Ritter SL, 1984 Raleigh Grand Mesa, 2019 Surly Pack Rat, 2021 All City Super Professional

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Spring is usually a better time for swaps. People are willing to part with more cash for their builds. Fall swap meets tend to be a sell-off before winter sets in.

Weather is typically a big concern if you're holding it outside. Even if you have a covered area, inclement weather can destroy a swap with rain / wind / etc.

You might need a vendor permit in some jurisdictions to do this. Check with your local municipality before you put down a deposit.

While you can technically do this on your own, enlisting as much help beforehand tends to work better. Otherwise you're swamped on the day of the swap, with little time to devote to selling your own stuff.
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll start planning for next spring. I've also thought about just having a garage sale/bike swap at my house so maybe I'll do that this fall for stuff I just want to unload and isn't worth putting on eBay.
Old 05-07-24, 06:34 AM
Super_Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Here in the Phoenix area, people have been trying to organize a bike swap off and on for decades, and at best only get a dozen or so vendors - and then a lot fewer in subsequent years. Conversely, in Tucson the local club (GABA) has for decades been successfully running a twice-a-year swap that takes up several city blocks. But it's my understanding it took a lot of diligent work to get it that big, and constant work to keep it that big.

For a first-time swap, I'd suggest keeping the seller fees modest ($5-$10), and publicizing weeks in advance in shops, social media, and other venues (Craigslist). Be prepared to deal with park staff, fire marshals, city business license inspectors, and others who are looking out for the interests of the local jurisdiction and not yours. As for timing, post-snow spring seems logical, although I know some places have good winter swaps in an indoor venue such as a warehouse or pavilion.
I've been wondering about a winter indoor swap but venues are pretty pricey. I would agree that publicity is key. Publicize verywhere.

I go up the Kansas City every year and even though it's run very well it's really pretty hot or miss with the amount of vendors that show up.

Thanks for the insight. Looks like spring may be best but we'll see.
Old 05-07-24, 06:47 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 541 Posts
Something to consider for any event where you are inviting the public is whether you need liability insurance in case someone gets injured at your event. Events that are put on by an established charity are usually covered by the parent organization. For events that are held at a public place like a park, their insurance might be enough. Just something to check on so you are protected.
Old 05-07-24, 08:25 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 123 Posts
i would select a date when the weather is mild. Spring or fall.
Old 05-07-24, 08:57 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 2,709 Times in 1,262 Posts
We did a bikeforums swap a while back in Emeryville, CA. Coordinated it with a local shop at a public park across the street from them. Self advertised by the vendors on Craigslist, local club pages and other social media. Posted signs at shops in commuter areas. Sundays seem to work with a lot of businesses closed so no parking competition. I think earlier in the year when people are getting back out is best. Tried to get a food truck but don't remember if they showed. Had a great time. Good luck...
Old 05-07-24, 11:16 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 195 Posts
I've attended some good swap meets that have taken place at bars with back yards where vendors could spread out and sell. Worth considering if you want to "start small" and can find a bar with a back yard or lots of space inside (like a beer hall). The events take place from 10am-3pm on saturday or sunday, when the bars would either be closed or have little clientele.
Old 05-07-24, 06:36 PM
Super_Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Something to consider for any event where you are inviting the public is whether you need liability insurance in case someone gets injured at your event. Events that are put on by an established charity are usually covered by the parent organization. For events that are held at a public place like a park, their insurance might be enough. Just something to check on so you are protected.
Good call! I'll have to look into this.
Old 05-07-24, 06:38 PM
Super_Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Catnap
I've attended some good swap meets that have taken place at bars with back yards where vendors could spread out and sell. Worth considering if you want to "start small" and can find a bar with a back yard or lots of space inside (like a beer hall). The events take place from 10am-3pm on saturday or sunday, when the bars would either be closed or have little clientele.
This is an interesting option. Could very well be applied to other businesses as well. Food for thought. Thank you.
Old 05-07-24, 10:40 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 338 Posts
Advertising and Marketing !

Getting the word out on the internet/Social Media and at local cycling Events is key . The only way its going to be a success is if people show up to Buy and Sell. Making flyers and getting the word out is also a big help.

I help out the local Swap Meet by maintaining the Facebook page for them .

If you have access to a Veterans group (American Legion/VFW Hall) or Church Parking lot is easier as they already carry Insurance and you can split the profit (if any) with them for use of their location.

Good Luck.
Old 05-08-24, 10:39 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 1,098 Times in 815 Posts
just a personal gripe but there have been two recent swaps in my (SF Bay Area) that had way too little advance notice (like 1-2 weeks) and I need more time to sort, clean/fix, and price my stuff to get to a place where I'm ready to pay for a seller's space.
So I passed on them both, but if I had say a month of advance warning I may have been able to sell at either one (and have another seller or two who might pitch in if they have the time to run their process).
So in short: plan ahead, advertise well in advance, thank you!
Old 05-08-24, 07:13 PM
Super_Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Manny66
Advertising and Marketing !

Getting the word out on the internet/Social Media and at local cycling Events is key . The only way its going to be a success is if people show up to Buy and Sell. Making flyers and getting the word out is also a big help.

I help out the local Swap Meet by maintaining the Facebook page for them .

If you have access to a Veterans group (American Legion/VFW Hall) or Church Parking lot is easier as they already carry Insurance and you can split the profit (if any) with them for use of their location.

Good Luck.
I agree. Trying to get all my ideas flushed out now but planning on lots of marketing/advertising.

Good call on the VFW and church parking lots. Thanks!
Old 05-08-24, 07:14 PM
Super_Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unworthy1
just a personal gripe but there have been two recent swaps in my (SF Bay Area) that had way too little advance notice (like 1-2 weeks) and I need more time to sort, clean/fix, and price my stuff to get to a place where I'm ready to pay for a seller's space.
So I passed on them both, but if I had say a month of advance warning I may have been able to sell at either one (and have another seller or two who might pitch in if they have the time to run their process).
So in short: plan ahead, advertise well in advance, thank you!
That is frustrating. That's why I'm trying to figure out a plan now so I can begin advertising ASAP.