Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anyone use Peel and Stick Bike Tire Patches?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Anyone use Peel and Stick Bike Tire Patches?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 10:25 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Liked 479 Times in 361 Posts
I keep a couple for emergencies in my under-saddle bag. I've even used them and forgotten they were there until I changed the tire. I think the trick is to keep them in a reasonably moisture-proof container and clean the tube thoroughly before application. Lick your thumb, wipe a couple times, and let the tube dry for a few seconds.
Old 05-07-24, 10:28 AM
grumpus

Liked 521 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
I bought the Slime brand. I know a lot of tire patch kits come with cement so I'm a little wary of these. Should I use cement as well?
Not with those patches, just sand the area around the hole, apply the patch and press firmly, with luck it will get you home (I've heard Slime patches are as mediocre as Slime sealant). For proper puncture repairs use Rema TipTop cold vulcanising patches and solution - works out much cheaper if you buy in bulk, not the little plastic boxes. I tend to carry a couple of spare tubes so I'm not patching at the roadside - collect a few punctured tubes and patch them at home when you're not in a hurry.
Old 05-07-24, 02:18 PM
KerryIrons

Liked 668 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
I've tried the Park patches and as far as I am concerned they are worthless. I'll take the time to use the Velox type patches with vulcanizing glue.
Operator error. I carry a spare tube and Park patches. While it is rare that I get more than one flat, when that has happened, the Park patches worked just fine. That said, I don't trust them "forever" so I replace them when I get home. Others report never replacing them with no problems.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 05-07-24, 03:26 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Liked 445 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Operator error.
That could well be. But even so, I'd trust the vulcanizing patches more.
Old 05-07-24, 04:02 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Liked 433 Times in 260 Posts
I bought one box years ago. they all failed very shortly after use. On the other hand, vulcanized patches with rubber cement typically outlast the tube.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-07-24, 08:02 PM
NVFlinch 

Liked 127 Times in 58 Posts
I like the slime patches, but the cheap Aliexpress Chiney things work well too. SInce I ride tubeless and NEVER need patches, I put 'em on my helmet. Decorates it just peachy, they do. I find that I get more mileage out of the Slime before the wind blows 'em off.

What???
Old 05-09-24, 06:40 AM
grumpus

Liked 521 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I’ve used the Slime/Scabs almost exclusively for years. Occasionally there will be one that doesn’t stick well. But that’s usually due to my own failure to prep the area well. Sometimes they also won’t work well if the leak is too close to a seam.
That's part of proper prep, you have to sand the seam flat/smooth, which can be pretty tedious for a roadside repair - at home use a power tool.