Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much did you pay for your road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How much did you pay for your road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-24, 05:42 AM
2muchroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
CF is not as delicate as you think it is.

I have broken 2 Cannondale MTBs and a Felt road bike.
I'm saying the likelihood of structural failure is greater.

Even straight out of the factory, there may be quality or material aberrations that can lead to problems later on.

I'm speaking in terms of MTB riding though. If you're on trails or courses often enough you'll encounter people with frame issues almost regularly.

With road bikes it's a different story. In that case I'd agree that there is only very little risk of failure and even if it does happen, the consequences probably won't be catastrophic.

What was it in particular that broke on the aluminium frames and what were you doing with them lol?
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Joke's on you OP, I paid thousands of dollars for each of my road bikes, and yet I still have plenty of wherewithal left over for recreational drugs! Ha ha!...uh, just don't tell my Mom.
People in California with a weed card have done more to reduce the national debt than Biden could in 8 years.
Are you riding those super expensive bikes or are they hanging on a wall? If I spent over 5K on a bike I'd probably make sure it's rare, hang it on a wall and sell it for double in a couple years.

Originally Posted by JochenRindt
I paid $428 including tax: Reynolds 853, 57cm in excellent condition. No dents, rust, or even scratches. Extremely well kept.
What's the manufacturing date on those again? They look immaculate, the red one in particular. Rims, spokes, paint and even the branding looks fresh. Probably kept them in a hyperbolic chamber.
Old 05-04-24, 06:28 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by 2muchroad

Even straight out of the factory, there may be quality or material aberrations that can lead to problems later on.

I'm speaking in terms of MTB riding though. If you're on trails or courses often enough you'll encounter people with frame issues almost regularly.

With road bikes it's a different story. In that case I'd agree that there is only very little risk of failure and even if it does happen, the consequences probably won't be catastrophic.

What was it in particular that broke on the aluminium frames and what were you doing with them lol?

People in California with a weed card have done more to reduce the national debt than Biden could in 8 years.
Are you riding those super expensive bikes or are they hanging on a wall? If I spent over 5K on a bike I'd probably make sure it's rare, hang it on a wall and sell it for double in a couple years.

What's the manufacturing date on those again? They look immaculate, the red one in particular. Rims, spokes, paint and even the branding looks fresh. Probably kept them in a hyperbolic chamber.
Bike Forums tends to be a hyperbolic chamber.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-04-24, 06:33 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12013 Post(s)
Liked 6,765 Times in 3,531 Posts
Truth.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-04-24, 06:36 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,312 Times in 722 Posts
Are you riding those super expensive bikes or are they hanging on a wall?
Well, right now one of them is indeed hanging on the wall, another one is leaning against the wall below that, and the third one is still at Joe Bell's shop getting repainted. But in about an hour I will be riding the one that is currently hanging on the wall. They all get ridden regularly; a week doesn't go by where I don't put some miles on every bike I own.

If I spent over 5K on a bike I'd probably make sure it's rare, hang it on a wall and sell it for double in a couple years.
That seems like the stupidest way to acquire wealth or wall-worthy art. You do know there are much better investments than "rare" bicycles, right? ...and that even the best investments rarely "double in a couple years".
Sounds like you're just looking for an argument.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 05-04-24, 06:59 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You're falling behind, now it has to have the wave pattern in the profile to minimize the effects of real cross winds and increase the aero effects of the U shape. Just finished building a set of lightbicycle rims with a built in wave patterns that they claim gives it a profile equivalent to a box section rim in a crosswind. It'll be interesting to see how well it actually does work. I'm sure zipp and princeton's versions really do have some effect but have to maintain budget.
I have read the claims for the wave pattern wheels, but like you said, I am far too cheap to replace a one year old wheel set.
Also, I regularly ride in strong cross winds and I haven't had any issues with the Winspace wheels.
Old 05-04-24, 07:00 AM
2muchroad

Originally Posted by genejockey
To answer the OP's question, between $150 and $2700, but all in current, not constant dollars, so the $2000 I paid in 1997 is a lot more than the $2400 I paid in 2020.
What would be your max amount that you're willing to pay for a new road bike? Also, are there any particular parts that you swear by and can't go without?

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Bike Forums tends to be a hyperbolic chamber.
Probably just training to defeat Cell.
That seems like the stupidest way to acquire wealth or wall-worthy art. You do know there are much better investments than "rare" bicycles, right? ...and that even the best investments rarely "double in a couple years".
Sounds like you're just looking for an argument.
Who said anything about acquiring wealth? I know it won't make you rich, I've been selling bikes for a while. Thank you, there I was investing in Pinarello when Amazon was right there and now it won't even double next year. Relax, it's just hyperbole.
Also, calling something you made up "the stupidest..." is probably a better way of starting an argument.
Old 05-04-24, 07:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7089 Post(s)
Liked 11,208 Times in 4,785 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Ahh. I stopped paying attention to Lemond bikes by then. IMO, the sweet spot for the brand was the 853 frames.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum. My 1995 Schwinn Peloton (Reynolds 853) has been rusting away quietly in the basement for many years. My all-time favorite bike is my 2005 Specialized Langster (fixed gear, aluminum frame and fork).
Oh, I've got nothing against aluminum. But the alu Tourmalet frame was not great.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-04-24, 12:36 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,312 Times in 722 Posts
Who said anything about acquiring wealth?
The guy who wrote:
If I spent over 5K on a bike I'd probably make sure it's rare, hang it on a wall and sell it for double in a couple years.
Old 05-04-24, 01:12 PM
2muchroad

The guy who wrote:
Yeah, that's profit.

The word wealth has some additional connotations which I didn't mean to imply.

Also, "selling for double" is a hyperbolic phrase which you're still choosing to understand literally.

Anyway, that's fine. Thanks for your contribution and my apologies if I was unclear.
Old 05-04-24, 02:17 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12013 Post(s)
Liked 6,765 Times in 3,531 Posts
Shelby ….
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-04-24, 07:27 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3317 Post(s)
Liked 2,153 Times in 1,218 Posts
I just spent $5500 on a 2023 Trek Emonda SL7. It was a very good price for an Ultegra Di2 equipped bike with carbon wheels. It replaces a Chinese open mold carbon that I got for $358 (frame) about 9 years ago and that held up and has seen near 9,000 miles, so good value. Thing is, the Emonda is a much better riding bike, much smoother and more comfortable ride over road imperfections and the like. A combo of better designed frame, carbon wheels, bar and seat post. I enjoy finding this bike much more, and as it’s more modern I will run 28mm tubeless tires that means less air pressure and an even better ride.

So sometimes you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-04-24 at 08:37 PM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-06-24, 08:11 AM
2muchroad

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I just spent $5500 on a 2023 Trek Emonda SL7. It was a very good price for an Ultegra Di2 equipped bike with carbon wheels. It replaces a Chinese open mold carbon that I got for $358 (frame) about 9 years ago and that held up and has seen near 9,000 miles, so good value. Thing is, the Emonda is a much better riding bike, much smoother and more comfortable ride over road imperfections and the like. A combo of better designed frame, carbon wheels, bar and seat post. I enjoy finding this bike much more, and as it’s more modern I will run 28mm tubeless tires that means less air pressure and an even better ride.

So sometimes you get what you pay for.
Very nice, the SL7 ones are sick. I was able to try an SL5 out briefly and the feeling was amazing. How has electronic shifting been so far, noticing anything different?

I just bought the Emonda ALR 5 used for 600€. I originally wanted to do a build with just the 2023 frame, but this 2018 version still had the 300 Alpha Aluminium Frame with carbon fork weighing 2kg so I thought wth.
I'm currently upgrading the wheelset (Lamda Carbon Competition Series), crank, saddle and stem. When it's all done I'm looking to resell it.
Here is a shoop of just the carbon wheelset on the stock frame, I like the darker grey. With the carbon crank and saddle the whole thing will be <9kg and about 900€ in total expenses. I was going for minimum investment and maximum resell value on this project and I think it could do ok.

But of course the carbon frame lamda previewed them with and similar color scheme the wheels just pop different.

Old 05-06-24, 08:33 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3317 Post(s)
Liked 2,153 Times in 1,218 Posts
[QUOTE=2muchroad;23232874]Very nice, the SL7 ones are sick. I was able to try an SL5 out briefly and the feeling was amazing. How has electronic shifting been so far, noticing anything different?

Nothing different, I had a Chinese carbon that had 11 spd Di2 installed, as well as a mt bike with XT Di2 so am familiar with the system.
Old 05-06-24, 09:19 AM
2muchroad

[QUOTE=Steve B.;23232891]
Very nice, the SL7 ones are sick. I was able to try an SL5 out briefly and the feeling was amazing. How has electronic shifting been so far, noticing anything different?

Nothing different, I had a Chinese carbon that had 11 spd Di2 installed, as well as a mt bike with XT Di2 so am familiar with the system.
Everybody who bought it loves it, there doesn't seem to be much complaining. Battery life is apparently a non-issue so I'm sold if I can find a really good deal.
The bike/frame I'm about to buy actually comes with Ultegra R8150 Di2, but the seller wants to get rid of it separately.
I love the frame design of the 2023 model, but tomorrow I'm checking out (and probably getting) a used Trek Madone SLR 7 Gen6 frame for 1,300€.
It appears to be in good condition, but these lazybones don't even clean their bikes for pictures anymore.
For wheels I'll go with a set of Roval CLX60 Carbon, already got the seller lined up. Total is probably gonna be around 2,000€ including residuals and weight about 7 - 8kg.

Old 05-06-24, 09:22 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5052 Post(s)
Liked 8,320 Times in 3,929 Posts
This might interest you...

You're still guessing about stuff.

Old 05-06-24, 09:27 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5052 Post(s)
Liked 8,320 Times in 3,929 Posts
It appears to be in good condition, but these lazybones don't even clean their bikes for pictures anymore.
Ummm...wut? What isn't clean?
Old 05-06-24, 10:26 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4009 Post(s)
Liked 7,515 Times in 3,025 Posts
You’re just flipping bikes — isn’t cleaning them something you can do?
Old 05-06-24, 10:57 AM
2muchroad

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You’re just flipping bikes — isn’t cleaning them something you can do?
The Madone is gonna be my personal bike, I'm not reselling this one, most likely. I mean once it's finished I'll still put in an ad for about 2.6 - 3K just in case. If somebody buys it fine, but I'll be riding it constantly until somebody does.
Old 05-06-24, 11:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked 5,730 Times in 2,894 Posts
I expect we'd all be interested in what you think about it when you are able to actually put a leg over a road bike.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-06-24, 11:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4009 Post(s)
Liked 7,515 Times in 3,025 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I expect we'd all be interested in what you think about it when you are able to actually put a leg over a road bike.
Riding bikes doesn’t seem to be high on the list of priorities.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-06-24, 11:27 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked 5,730 Times in 2,894 Posts
Maybe the new bike will be enough encouragement to make the leap.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-06-24, 11:31 AM
2muchroad

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Riding bikes doesn’t seem to be high on the list of priorities.
I rode the ALR 5 a bit before disassembly, but I'm trying to keep this one fresh because it's in very good condition with practically no miles on it. Can't risk a scratch if I wanna sell it like new.

I did keep track of my time and output though. It's a bikeway that I've done many times on a MTB and the difference is impressive. Strain gauges are pretty old but should still work.
Likes For 2muchroad:
Old 05-08-24, 07:05 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 51 Posts
In response to the thread title question:

2001 Trek 2200
Bike cost: $19.50
Shipping + tax: $180.00
Tune up: $123.00 Including new brake cables, Kool stop pads, bar tape and water bottle bolts
Fabric Scoop Radius Pro Saddle: $91 (actually free due to REI dividends)
Ultegra pedals: $110
2x Planet Bike water bottles: $16
Topeak underseat bag: $21
Garmin knock off mount: $9
Garmin HRM: $54 (free, REI)
Garmin speed/cadence bundle: $54 (free, REI)
Topeak Hexus X, Planet Bike CO2 head, tube: $35
Old 05-08-24, 02:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 5,883 Times in 3,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Ubie
In response to the thread title question:

2001 Trek 2200
Bike cost: $19.50
Shipping + tax: $180.00
Tune up: $123.00 Including new brake cables, Kool stop pads, bar tape and water bottle bolts
Fabric Scoop Radius Pro Saddle: $91 (actually free due to REI dividends)
Ultegra pedals: $110
2x Planet Bike water bottles: $16
Topeak underseat bag: $21
Garmin knock off mount: $9
Garmin HRM: $54 (free, REI)
Garmin speed/cadence bundle: $54 (free, REI)
Topeak Hexus X, Planet Bike CO2 head, tube: $35
a tune-up for $123 is ridiculously cheap. I paid nearly 3X on my Bianchi. They thoroughly cleaned the entire bike, checked all the bearings, trued the wheels, replaced pads, dialed in the shifting, new Ultegra chain and replaced a GP 5000 on a spare rim with new sealant. May have to check out REI next time. Been a member for decades.

Old 05-08-24, 03:26 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
a tune-up for $123 is ridiculously cheap. I paid nearly 3X on my Bianchi. They thoroughly cleaned the entire bike, checked all the bearings, trued the wheels, replaced pads, dialed in the shifting, new Ultegra chain and replaced a GP 5000 on a spare rim with new sealant. May have to check out REI next time. Been a member for decades.
Ridiculously cheap no, but a great value yeah. Cables maybe $25 max. Pads $8. New tape $15-$40. New water bottle bolts sub $10 easily. Thus max that's $83 and that's if the splurged on a really high end set of bar tape, thus if the tuneup was just a basic run of the mill one $123 isn't insane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.