Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Small bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-24, 02:36 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 398 Posts
(above) Giant had the Halfway, the first folding bike I ever saw. Single-sided forks front and rear, so easy flat fixing even on rear in the field. However, required their own special cantilevered rack in the rear, and the bike was heavy. Glad I didn't buy one at the price of $600 I think at the time. I could not have modified it like my Dahon Speed to be like a 2X Bike Friday with full racks.
Old 05-08-24, 03:16 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,757 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
No I get them. I think people enjoy using them beyond their normal usage and that is fine but I do understand the reason and purpose for a folding bike. If there were a huge advantage to smaller wheels we would see mountain bikes still using 26" or smaller. Wider tires would not be as popular either as those create a larger tire. You don't see Specialized or Trek with folding bikes and I don't think at least in the U.S. Giant stop doing folding bikes. Most of the major manufacturers who make bikes don't also do folding. Not as a knock to folding bikes I wouldn't want to compete with Tern they make some really great bikes all learned from David Hon of Dahon, Brompton is super neat as well, Bike Friday and Birdy (totally want a belt drive Rohloff Birdy sadly R+M doesn't sell in the U.S. and I have heard Pacific can be hit or miss). However you would still think they would maybe make a more concerted effort to make something to compete with these folks even at some point in history but I cannot think of anyone aside from Giant who makes mostly full size non-folding bikes (not counting something like the GSD or HSD which have a folding handlepost) who also does folding bikes?
Interesting reasoning. Following your line of thought, none of the major manufacturers offer titanium bikes. They all have CF bikes that top out at stratospheric prices, so it's not because titanium bikes are too expensive. If there were a huge advantage to titanium bikes, they would sell them, but they don't. Therefore, there's no reason to consider buying one.

Most or all of the major brands selling bikes in the U.S. had true touring bikes, track bikes, tandems, women-specific bikes, and recumbents in their lineups at one time or another. Why did they all drop them? Because those varieties didn't sell in the numbers that would have justified their remaining in the catalog. The big manufacturers are not in the business of providing niche products. They cede that territory to the small manufacturers.
Old 05-08-24, 02:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,114 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Interesting reasoning. Following your line of thought, none of the major manufacturers offer titanium bikes. They all have CF bikes that top out at stratospheric prices, so it's not because titanium bikes are too expensive. If there were a huge advantage to titanium bikes, they would sell them, but they don't. Therefore, there's no reason to consider buying one.

Most or all of the major brands selling bikes in the U.S. had true touring bikes, track bikes, tandems, women-specific bikes, and recumbents in their lineups at one time or another. Why did they all drop them? Because those varieties didn't sell in the numbers that would have justified their remaining in the catalog. The big manufacturers are not in the business of providing niche products. They cede that territory to the small manufacturers.
Fair dinkum but titanium is more of a frame material and Salsa and other QBP brands have/had titanium in their line up. Lynskey, Litespeed, Moots and other also sell them quite extensively.
Old 05-08-24, 03:14 PM
Trakhak

Fair dinkum but titanium is more of a frame material and Salsa and other QBP brands have/had titanium in their line up. Lynskey, Litespeed, Moots and other also sell them quite extensively.
The analogy, to make it even clearer:

You said, in effect, that if folding bikes were worth considering, major bike manufacturers would offer them.

I said that it therefore logically follows that if titanium bikes were worth considering, major bike manufacturers would offer them.. They don't, so they aren't. By your logic.

Per your list above: as I said, the major manufacturers cede the niche products to the small manufacturers.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-08-24, 03:37 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 385 Posts
The analogy: My understanding of folding bikes stems grom major manufacturers not selling them. Non sequitur.
Old 05-08-24, 04:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
The analogy: My understanding of folding bikes stems grom major manufacturers not selling them. Non sequitur.
Nope did not say that Ron, sorry. I never said my understanding stems from major manufacturers but thanks for playing all of our contests will get the home game. My knowledge of folding bikes comes from selling them, working on them, riding them and doing research on them as a professional in the industry and a bike nerd.

You can read what I wrote before. However I will ceed that sure major manufacturers don't always make all the products that is fair I don't wholly disagree with Trakhak but still you would think they would have done it at some point as they pointed out manufacturers did a lot of different bikes but generally folding bikes weren't in the mix.
Old 05-08-24, 05:14 PM
Trakhak

Nope did not say that Ron, sorry. I never said my understanding stems from major manufacturers but thanks for playing all of our contests will get the home game. My knowledge of folding bikes comes from selling them, working on them, riding them and doing research on them as a professional in the industry and a bike nerd.

You can read what I wrote before. However I will ceed that sure major manufacturers don't always make all the products that is fair I don't wholly disagree with Trakhak but still you would think they would have done it at some point as they pointed out manufacturers did a lot of different bikes but generally folding bikes weren't in the mix.
FYI, a number of major manufacturers sold folding bikes in the past or currently sell them, including Schwinn, Raleigh, Bianchi, and Giant. It's a bit surprising that a bike store guy didn't know that.

Also, where you wrote "ceed" (which isn't a word but can be a suffix), you meant "concede." "Cede" has a different meaning.
Old 05-08-24, 05:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

FYI, a number of major manufacturers sold folding bikes in the past or currently sell them, including Schwinn, Raleigh, Bianchi, and Giant. It's a bit surprising that a bike store guy wouldn't know that.

Also, where you wrote "ceed" (which isn't a word but can be a suffix), you meant "concede." "Cede" has a different meaning.
Schwinn and Raleigh are very much different companies now and the Raleigh twenty is quite old and I don't recall any newer ones but yes I did mention Giant in my earlier post though did miss Bianchi but I think like Raleigh it was quite a while ago that they did a folder. However the big three these days Trek, Specialized and Cannondale haven't as far as I can remember.

Yes I did mean "cede" I was looking at it and did realize it looked off but didn't show a spelling mistake so I let it go.
Old 05-08-24, 05:30 PM
Trakhak

Schwinn and Raleigh are very much different companies now and the Raleigh twenty is quite old and I don't recall any newer ones but yes I did mention Giant in my earlier post though did miss Bianchi but I think like Raleigh it was quite a while ago that they did a folder. However the big three these days Trek, Specialized and Cannondale haven't as far as I can remember.

Yes I did mean "cede" I was looking at it and did realize it looked off but didn't show a spelling mistake so I let it go.
Apology accepted.

And again, you meant "concede," not "cede." Different meanings.
Old 05-08-24, 05:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Apology accepted.

And again, you meant "concede," not "cede." Different meanings.

I mean yes and no cede is give up territory so my usage was not far off. I could use concede as well but I did intend cede in that sense. I guess one could argue that cede is maybe slightly inappropriate in the context but not totally out of line.
Old 05-08-24, 11:31 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 398 Posts
In many industries in the past, once something was innovated, many major manufacturers jumped right into the same market. These days, I think the majors consider more carefully if they can do it better AND at bare minimum, if it is profitable. Recumbents are a good example, after they started to catch on, both Trek and Cannondale offered some, but not for long. Right now and the past few years, especially during the pandemic, I expected to be a skyrocketing time for folders, and may have happened, but others have stated that ebikes totally interrupted that. Couple that with low priced competitors like Zizzo and Origami, et al, plus established brands like Dahon and Tern at the higher more-profitable end of the market, and them specializing in folders, and I think the majors decided that was too big a lift, unless those folder companies started to go after core customers of the majors, which so far they haven't. So my point is, it's not for lack of success or validity of folders, it's just that the majors and the folders have each decided to stay in their lanes, it seems to me.

With electric cars, different story. First Toyota tread the path with the Prius hybrid, then others, and then Tesla went all the way with full electric, and to paraphrase a movie, "(They are) DAN-GER-OUS!" The gauntlet was thrown, all the big makers knew they had to move to full electric in the long term or they would die.

Sometimes you're late to the game; Airbus debuted the A380 super-jumbo just as that market was in decline, and Boeing knew it, deciding instead to concentrate on more economical large twin-jets. The only reason the 747 stayed in production as long as it did is because of the drastic increase in air freight, which the 747 was designed for from the get-go, because Boeing thought they would be supplanted in 10 years by SSTs, so they planned for all passenger 747s to be freighters in the long run. Didn't happen. Airbus didn't design the A380 for freight. It ended production even before the 747, which was in production for 54 years IIRC.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-08-24 at 11:46 PM.