Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Vintage Reflector Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Vintage Reflector Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-21, 11:57 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
I have an un natural love for tail lights like the kind used on old french touring bikes by Herse and Singer.....I dream of hand hammered fenders with built in tail lights
Old 01-02-21, 01:50 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 4,495 Times in 2,128 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Reflectors mounted on the spokes are the dorkiest accessory ever fitted to a bicycle, dorkier even than dork discs, which at least serve a useful purpose quite effectively. (Some are even attractive.). Fortunately, spoke reflectors can be removed and tossed into the solid waste stream without compromise to safety because they are useless. No vehicle on a collision course with you will ever see your spoke reflectors in time to avoid hitting you—the only exception would be if you are standing motionless in the road with your bike turned broadside to on-coming cars. But that’s a dumb way to die.

Rear-facing reflectors are another matter. But their effectiveness is greatly exaggerated by the common practice of photographing them with flash mounted a few centimetres from the camera lens. In real life, the optical path causes them to be much less visible to a motorist, especially a truck driver sitting high above his headlights.
Thank you for being the voice of sanity. I was worried I'd get to the bottom of the thread without witnessing it.

-Kurt

Old 01-02-21, 09:59 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked 3,488 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by homelessjoe
I have an un natural love for tail lights like the kind used on old french touring bikes by Herse and Singer.....I dream of hand hammered fenders with built in tail lights
You would have enjoyed the Honjo booth at the 2015 NAHBS... but no tail lights in sight.

Some of the old lights really are classy, and it's a shame that there aren't more reproductions around. Doesn't Jan Heine, a.k.a. the current Rene Herse brand, sell something like this?
.... ummm.... not really. They sell a light that is fitted to the rear of the seat tube. https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop.../rh-taillight/
Sounds like an opportunity for a niche product for someone to make.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-03-21, 02:51 AM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Ive been hand hammering some tail lights out of sheet metal in my secret underground laboratory........but need to hone my skills....about 20 hours on my first one
Old 01-12-21, 07:47 PM
LBCwanabe 

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Here you go, LBCwanabe

Keeping it general here, here's the bin, dumped, with a general shot and some pics of some of the cooler ones. Mostly CatEye, but there's a mashed up Bright Star in here (375, I think), pics follow include the orange Stanley, a red Stadion, and the scratched up red one I believe is an old glass reflector. Tons of NIB CatEye ~30mm and ~50mm round red rear-mount, but stay and bridge mount style. Couple of rear fender-mount rectangles in there, a couple red round fender-mount, misc spoke mount, and a boatload of brackets

I've been kinda hording the round vintage CatEyes. I remember giving one to BF'er 3speedslow for his Sekine many years ago, I sometimes put them on bikes I sell if they fit, but they're becoming a scarce commodity it seems.

thanks for posting. I’m sorry for the long delay in reply. I appreciate you putting these pics up. Glad my own bin Looks similar
Likes For LBCwanabe:
Old 01-13-21, 06:28 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I have a f/r reflector off a 88 Trek 360, and the reflectors off the pedals I want to throw away, so if anyone wants them just pay for shipping, probably 8 bucks for a small flat rate box USPS. Otherwise, trash.
Old 05-08-24, 05:28 PM
ihm96

Bikes: 1983 Ross Aristocrat, 2023 Specialized Sirrus X 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Here you go, LBCwanabe

Keeping it general here, here's the bin, dumped, with a general shot and some pics of some of the cooler ones. Mostly CatEye, but there's a mashed up Bright Star in here (375, I think), pics follow include the orange Stanley, a red Stadion, and the scratched up red one I believe is an old glass reflector. Tons of NIB CatEye ~30mm and ~50mm round red rear-mount, but stay and bridge mount style. Couple of rear fender-mount rectangles in there, a couple red round fender-mount, misc spoke mount, and a boatload of brackets

I've been kinda hording the round vintage CatEyes. I remember giving one to BF'er 3speedslow for his Sekine many years ago, I sometimes put them on bikes I sell if they fit, but they're becoming a scarce commodity it seems.

I know this thread is old but do you have any clear round cat eye reflectors? I accidentally busted mine today riding home and it shattered.
Old 05-08-24, 07:44 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by ihm96
I know this thread is old but do you have any clear round cat eye reflectors? I accidentally busted mine today riding home and it shattered.
I'm actually glad you pinged me because I'm losing my mind and totally forgot 1989Pre needed something I have also, and I totally failed to reach back out to him.

I still have virtually everything you see in the above photos. Ping me with what you need, I'll dig out that plastic bin, wherever the hell it is!

Old 05-09-24, 07:42 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,117 Times in 655 Posts
I think the Cat is riding around on an 85 Raleigh Marathon mess’ bike
sekine back down to a bare frame for cleaning and rebuilt.
francophile
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 05-09-24, 08:56 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 443 Posts
Here you go, LBCwanabe Keeping it general here, here's the bin, dumped, with a general shot
Wow.

I recall in the 70's Cateye had a substantial rear bracket secured by the rear brake mounting bolt. I've been thinking it would be great to have those, have them chromed, and somehow repurpose as a mount for an LED taillight... seems like a good place to mount one.

Old 05-09-24, 11:01 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 1,872 Times in 1,040 Posts
Here you go, LBCwanabe

Frankly these look pretty useful. Not as reflectors. But the steel mounts will make good sturdy bases for a decaleur mount, rack mounts, or just plain a back rest for the universal handlebar bags or baskets to keep it off your head tube.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-09-24, 08:43 PM
ihm96

Bikes: 1983 Ross Aristocrat, 2023 Specialized Sirrus X 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I'm actually glad you pinged me because I'm losing my mind and totally forgot 1989Pre needed something I have also, and I totally failed to reach back out to him.

I still have virtually everything you see in the above photos. Ping me with what you need, I'll dig out that plastic bin, wherever the hell it is!
it’s clear with a 2.5 “ diameter across , I see some in your photos .

The lens is clear

On the back the part number is RR-250-wz-2 if that helps?

much appreciated!!

Last edited by ihm96; 05-09-24 at 09:03 PM.