Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can I put a rear rack on a Gios Torino Super Record?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-24, 10:03 PM
Alexthe

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I know it may sound like, oh why would you want to do that.......? But she's going to be my only bike at least for some time. it's like pushing,a Porsche, to lug around stuff. But I have shopping to do I need a rear rack for the sports bike, and there is no eyelet as the pictures say.

The red bike is my 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubilee , which will likely now, be sold. It's a little big for my frame .

Old 05-08-24, 11:26 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 2,609 Times in 1,087 Posts
Putting a rear rack on a frame designed for racing can done using P-clips, a nut/bolt/washer set up in the cutout part the rear drop-out or something similar- I've done it, and my first loaded tour was done that way - but it is suboptimal both in terms of the bike's handling and what you will inevitably do to the frame's paint and maybe tubes from clamping things where clamping was not envisioned. I'd suggest looking into a big seat bag and maybe a front randonneur bag instead.
Old 05-08-24, 11:44 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 487 Posts
https://www.axiomgear.com/products/r...iner-road-dlx/

Get something like this, which mounts using the quick release. And make sure to use a good quality external cam quick release skewer.
Old 05-09-24, 12:08 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 466 Posts
The Hole Story

These work great with P-clamps only needed on the upper seat stays, where there is little to no real stress.
(Superficial rust wiped off, installed these on a 1973 Acer-Mex Carabela Profesional with Dura Ace dropouts. Bear in mind later Campagnolo dropouts have slightly larger 'triangles and these don't quite fill the hole. They still work, but it is suboptimal. There are other options, as the second and third photos show.)

None appear currently available on eBay, but they do show up from time to time.

(Photos source.)

Last edited by machinist42; 05-09-24 at 12:23 AM.
Likes For machinist42:
Old 05-09-24, 03:08 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked 3,020 Times in 1,540 Posts
machinist42 I was just about to post that same pic when I saw your reply. Too bad they don’t make those anymore. Or anyone make them

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 05-09-24, 07:19 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
machinist42 I was just about to post that same pic when I saw your reply. Too bad they don’t make those anymore. Or anyone make them
I made a set for a mechanic at the LBS who had an ugly bodged setup for a rack (did have a set of the originals to work from...)

One trick that could work is a pair (each side) of hard rubber faucet washers, look for the right size with conical seats; put a pair of thin flat washers on either side.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 05-09-24, 08:54 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,958 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
These work great with P-clamps only needed on the upper seat stays, where there is little to no real stress.
(Superficial rust wiped off, installed these on a 1973 Acer-Mex Carabela Profesional with Dura Ace dropouts. Bear in mind later Campagnolo dropouts have slightly larger 'triangles and these don't quite fill the hole. They still work, but it is suboptimal. There are other options, as the second and third photos show.)

None appear currently available on eBay, but they do show up from time to time.

One could probably cobble up a functional equivalent to the Blackburn adaptor with a couple bolts, nuts, and washers and a thick rubber washer or section of wine cork with a hole for the bolt, to fill the window in the dropout between the washers.

But a race bike is arguably not ideal for carrying cargo: Short chainstays limit heel clearance for panniers, and squirrelly handling doesn't sit well with carrying a load. The Gios could likely be sold to fully fund a more appropriate bike for loads.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-09-24, 09:14 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 275 Posts
I use the seatpost type with braces that clamp to the seat tubes for heavier loads.
Installs and removes in less than ten minutes. It works very well for my non-touring activity.

Amazon.com: Lumintrail Bike Commuter Carrier Rack w/Seatpost Quick Release Rear Mount for Bicycle Cargo : Everything Else
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 05-09-24, 11:51 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 2,609 Times in 1,087 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314

Get something like this, which mounts using the quick release. And make sure to use a good quality external cam quick release skewer.
Interesting idea, but I would think that would really complicate trying to get the rear wheel off to fix a flat. It would be bad enough at home, but it looks like it would be a major PITA on the road.
Old 05-09-24, 08:42 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
I use the seatpost type with braces that clamp to the seat tubes for heavier loads.
Installs and removes in less than ten minutes. It works very well for my non-touring activity.

Amazon.com: Lumintrail Bike Commuter Carrier Rack w/Seatpost Quick Release Rear Mount for Bicycle Cargo : Everything Else
I tried a similar one a couple of times and didn't like it - when braking loaded it tended to swing to one side.
Old 05-09-24, 09:42 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Putting a rear rack on a frame designed for racing can done using P-clips, a nut/bolt/washer set up in the cutout part the rear drop-out or something similar- I've done it, and my first loaded tour was done that way - but it is suboptimal both in terms of the bike's handling and what you will inevitably do to the frame's paint and maybe tubes from clamping things where clamping was not envisioned. I'd suggest looking into a big seat bag and maybe a front randonneur bag instead.
Yes I'm going to use a front randonneur , nothing fancy, just a 80's cannondale . As for a big seat bag what did you have in mind?
Old 05-09-24, 09:43 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I tried a similar one a couple of times and didn't like it - when braking loaded it tended to swing to one side.
Oh that's not good............ And I was considering this, as a really good solution, because you can take it off.
Old 05-09-24, 09:45 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting idea, but I would think that would really complicate trying to get the rear wheel off to fix a flat. It would be bad enough at home, but it looks like it would be a major PITA on the road.
And it's as ugly as hell , and complicated looking to.
Old 05-09-24, 09:49 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If I have a set up that can act, as having an eyelet , using the open space of the down tube I can put an attractive rear rack on and hang my Ortleib on it . Something maybe from Velo orange?
Old 05-09-24, 09:50 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
One could probably cobble up a functional equivalent to the Blackburn adaptor with a couple bolts, nuts, and washers and a thick rubber washer or section of wine cork with a hole for the bolt, to fill the window in the dropout between the washers.

But a race bike is arguably not ideal for carrying cargo: Short chainstays limit heel clearance for panniers, and squirrelly handling doesn't sit well with carrying a load. The Gios could likely be sold to fully fund a more appropriate bike for loads.
I cobbled up one from plumbing washers (cone washers, etc) from ACE.... the real ones work better,

Old 05-09-24, 10:22 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

I definitely don't want to sell the Gios I want to see what life is like with it for a while. it seems like an extraordinarily fine bicycle .I might need two bicycles( a 1938 Sunbeam ?) one for carrying stuff and one for just riding but I really didn't want to do that, living in New York City with limited space and resources. The Ortlieb bags are very adjustable they can be moved quite far back so that there would be clearance for my foot in the pedal stroke. And I would put enough weight upfront to balance things. Bicycles ride better when most of the weight is upfront anyway, when carrying stuff.
And I kind of wanted ( although it WILL break my heart to sell her) to help fund the Italian stallion.
Old 05-10-24, 04:29 AM
bboy314

I’ve had to fix a flat on the road using this rack with panniers. Removing the wheel is as complicated as removing the quick release skewer.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-10-24, 04:32 AM
bboy314

Originally Posted by Alexthe
And it's as ugly as hell , and complicated looking to.
To each their own of course, but I actually think these look good on road bikes due to their slim design, and work well because they carry the load a little further back which helps with short chainstays. And there’s nothing complicated about its design, just remove the QR skewer to remove the wheel (which I guess adds about 20 seconds total to flat fix time).
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-10-24, 04:54 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 207 Posts
Alexthe If space is the issue, and you can afford it, check out Tailfin. here is how i set up my Masi 3V for a week long ride down the California coast. Not cheap, but really well made, and engineered. Tailfin racks I bought the 10 liter (shown) and 20 liter rear bags. I used one 20 liter for the most part, and shipped another fully loaded to the second last stop, full of weekend clothes, and schlepped it to the weeknd stop.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 05-10-24, 05:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
yes. you can find rubber coated p-clips at the hardware store. some cycling parts companies make better ones, which I assume fit better. just took a quick peek at one of my bikes. used a wrap of electrical tape on the frame. getting the exact correct size for your frame may be a challenge. I like wing nuts & lock washers. sorry about the bad photos

Old 05-10-24, 06:18 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 198 Posts
I use a large Carradice saddlebag with a support, on bikes which don't have eyelets for rack mounting. In my largest bag I can carry an extra pair of shoes (if I really wanted), slacks, dress shirt, undershirt, small coffee thermos, a cheese sandwich (extra mayo helps to slip the sandwich in), and a few necessary tools. I usually commute with a fanny pack with a few things, so the saddlebag isn't loaded that full. I haven't carried a spare pair of shoes in ages, but I know I have the room to do so.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 05-10-24, 09:48 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,134 Posts
Depending on how much stuff you shop for...a Carradice saddle bag is the way to go.
Old 05-10-24, 11:21 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 852 Posts
I use P-clips on the Schwinn, which is a competition mountain bike repurposed as my daily driver. I take advantage of the drive side chain hanging tab to keep them from sliding down the seat stays. Works great, with our without my drop-on panniers.

Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 05-11-24, 05:23 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked 3,020 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
I made a set for a mechanic at the LBS who had an ugly bodged setup for a rack (did have a set of the originals to work from...)

One trick that could work is a pair (each side) of hard rubber faucet washers, look for the right size with conical seats; put a pair of thin flat washers on either side.

Interesting idea

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 05-11-24, 10:09 PM
Alexthe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314

Hello I will reconsider this idea I wonder whether it comes in chrome or a different color than the flat black and........ what do you mean by a quality external cam quick release skewer ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.