Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

FinnAir

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

FinnAir

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-24, 02:56 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 958 Posts
FinnAir

FinnAir! You had only one job. Put this square box in that round sky tube. You failed. Now I am holed up in a hotel 2 hours north of Helsinki with no bike, no more plans, and now no destination. What a waste. 1 star. 👎

Why was my bike in Latvia 2 days ago? Where is it now? It sure would be cool if you knew.

/incredulous rant

Has an airline ever lost your luggage? Your full S&S case? Do tell your tales of woe, below. 👇

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 05-10-24, 03:33 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 104 Posts
Gah! 😡

Flying from New Zealand to Hat Yai in southern Thailand, my bike got there, my other bag ended up in Dublin 🧐 It got sorted within 24 hours, but I went back to the airport rather than have it sent by taxi to my guesthouse.

I think airlines still lose a lot of baggage, but the tracking system is pretty good nowadays, and it will usually be found.

I’ve got an air-tag on my bike with the speaker removed to make it a bit more stealthy.
Old 05-10-24, 06:04 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 179 Posts
Sounds frustrating.

I haven't had a bike delayed/lost on the outbound flight. Twice I have had delayed arrival of my bike on my return. Essentially I made the connection but my bike and other luggage did not. That is much easier since I was going back to work and could handle a two day delay of having my bike.
Old 05-10-24, 09:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,979 Times in 1,238 Posts
If you get your bike one day late, it's just part of the adventure. The adventure of bike touring, or the adventure of air travel? Your choice!
Old 05-10-24, 10:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3507 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 1,164 Posts
An S&S case would travel as a piece of normal size luggage. So, it is just like any normal piece of lost luggage.

I have had luggage delayed several times for days in the 1980s, less often in the 1990s. But with modern bar code tags, airlines are much better than they were decades ago.

That said, I am still in the habit of always taking a photo of my luggage before I give it to airline staff so that it is easier to describe it to the airline personnel. I started doing that when I bought my first digital camera.

S&S Backpack case looks like this.

Now here is a question for you, have you ever had airline staff insist that you have to gate check your carry on, and then when you get off the plane you find someone took your carry on instead of theirs? So far that has only happened to me once.

In the late 1980s, I regularly flew on a tiny little plane, so small no flight attendants, each seat was both a window seat and an aisle. One time, the plane was full when I got on it, that had never happened before. As I am getting used to the seat and buckling in, I look out the window and see the pickup truck with my luggage driving away. I yell out - Hey, that guy is driving away with my luggage. All the people on my side of the plane look out and yell the same thing. All of us had to wait a half day for that pickup truck to drive to where the plane landed while we are all waiting in the airport for our luggage. The plane if full and going that far could not travel with a full fuel load and full passenger load if it also had luggage, so they left all luggage behind and drove it there by pickup truck.
Old 05-10-24, 11:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18526 Post(s)
Liked 15,872 Times in 7,452 Posts
Hasn’t happened to me, but I’m sure it sucks. When I flew to Boise for the start of Cycle Oregon in 2002, four of us waited at the oversized baggage window for our bikes. Only 3 bikes made it. The fourth one belonged to a guy who had flown out of NYC. His bike didn’t make the connection in Phoenix. Fortunately, America West (Remember them?) was able to get the bike to Boise before the charter bus left for OR the next morning, but I will never forget the look of disappointment and disbelief on the guy’s face when he was told all the luggage had been offloaded.
Old 05-11-24, 08:40 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 958 Posts
The case finally arrived by way of 2 days in Latvia, a day in Tempere, a day with a courier, and finally a half day with the concierge. It is missing a strap & another is loose. That's ok. I brought an extra for just such an occasion The important thing is no part of the bike is damaged or missing!

Gone are the big plans. But, I can still tootle around town to the various arboretums parks and other local attractions. Maybe I'll venture out to see tonight's Northern Lights display in a few hours.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-11-24, 08:53 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 120 Posts
I learned a lesson long ago. Try to book non-stop international flights if at all possible.
Old 05-11-24, 10:55 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 251 Posts
Use a AirTag you always know where your bike is.
got luck in finding it.

P.S. upssss it arrived already.
Old 05-11-24, 11:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3507 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 1,164 Posts
I am glad it arrived free of damage. With all the extra distance that it has traveled, there certainly was a lot of opportunity for damage.
Old 05-11-24, 12:16 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 303 Posts
If anybody ever ridicules your choice, as a bicycle tourist, of transportation, just refer them to this thread.