Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike Radar

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 08:13 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Well, this is a pretty uniform positive response from actual users! Might be time to look into buying one.

Has anyone used the Trek CarBack unit?

Also, the Garmin units appear to have a short (1.5 hour) battery life. Are they capable of accepting a charge while operating?
don’t know where you’re getting a 1.5 hour battery life. My Varia 515 gets at least 6 hours with the light on daylight flashing
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 05-09-24, 08:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2039 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
don’t know where you’re getting a 1.5 hour battery life. My Varia 515 gets at least 6 hours with the light on daylight flashing
Yeah, mine is good for at least 4 of my go to rides, each of which lasts just under 2 hour each.
Old 05-09-24, 08:31 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Yeah, mine is good for at least 4 of my go to rides, each of which lasts just under 2 hour each.
Good to know. That number came from a review in a bike magazine.
Old 05-09-24, 08:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,079 Times in 1,965 Posts
with stuff like these, very cold temps mess with the battery life too.
Old 05-09-24, 10:16 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Originally Posted by Eric F
I use a Garmin Varia radar with a Wahoo Bolt head unit. It's excellent. Having an audible alert means I don't need to be looking at a mirror or my head unit to know there's a car coming.
Eric, Which model Bolt are you using?
Old 05-09-24, 10:49 PM
PromptCritical 

I’m in! Garmin Varia should be arriving tomorrow.
Old 05-09-24, 11:00 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I don’t own a Varia. To clarify my question, I wonder if folks who live in less urban areas and are often on backroads, often without shoulders, are finding these more useful then perhaps a rider, like myself, who rides in more congested areas, where there is pretty much always a car back, as it were. Thus a user in a congested area, might have less need for a radar, as it’s kind of telling you what you already know, there’s a car back. In a rural area, I understand the usefulness as it alerts you and gives you time to maybe move a bit out of whatever lane is remaining. As well, I really doubt I would hear an audible alert, I don’t wear my hearing aids when I ride and I currently do not hear the audible alerts a 1040 gives for navigation route changes.

The rear camera is a feature I might desire as it provides a record of “what happened” when a teenager on a cell phone mows you down. Thus my interest in plunking down $400 is increased.
I ride mostly in San Francisco proper these days, and I always ride with my varia. I use the overlay graphic on my cycling app, which shows a bar at the side of the screen in green, yellow or red depending on whether anyone is approaching from the rear, and then there are car icons (multiple ones) that approach the top/front of the bar as they close in on you. it’s incredibly useful in a dense urban environment, and I find it easier to intuitively understand than the beeping for approaching and all clear in dense traffic. the graphic is so simple that you don’t really even have to focus on it, you can see it out of your downward peripheral vision, whatever that’s called.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 05-10-24, 04:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Liked 5,048 Times in 3,116 Posts

Also, the Garmin units appear to have a short (1.5 hour) battery life. Are they capable of accepting a charge while operating?
My Garmin RTL515 battery life is about 10 hours in day flash mode. I have no idea if it can charge while in use.
Old 05-10-24, 04:56 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 756 Posts
Prices for rear facing radar are becoming reasonable and there are a couple of brands available.

Does anyone have any experience with one?
I bought a Garmin Varia (non-camera type) and have used it for about 1 1/2 seasons. (We have seasons in New England). I think it's a game changer. I would rather ride without a helmet than without my radar. FWIW Garmin customer support has been phenomenal. You actually get to speak to a person.

I should add that I also use an Italian Road Bike mirror and I ride in areas where there are few cars for the most part. And, my hearing is actually excellent so I feel pretty secure.

Last edited by bruce19; 05-10-24 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-10-24, 09:03 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5043 Post(s)
Liked 8,291 Times in 3,918 Posts
Eric, Which model Bolt are you using?
The older one (1st generation).
Old 05-10-24, 09:05 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
My Garmin RTL515 battery life is about 10 hours in day flash mode. I have no idea if it can charge while in use.
after around 1,000 hours of use, mine is down to around 5 hours of battery life in flash. it probably needs a new battery - and it cannot charge while in use. plugging power in shuts it off.

i use it so ubiquitously that on my e-bike i’m really tempted to get the hardwired no-battery version and wire it up internally. i’d love to do the same on my aethos but the varia battery is about the same size as the di2 battery, which would mean very many charge cycles.
Old 05-10-24, 04:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Originally Posted by mschwett
i use it so ubiquitously that on my e-bike i’m really tempted to get the hardwired no-battery version and wire it up internally.
Hmmm! Coincidentally, I have just removed the SmartSense system (from my new Cannondale Synapse 2RLE) which includes a battery cradle, battery, Varia rear radar, rear light, front light, a display for the Varia, and the necessary wires.

022_rev2-_smartsense-oms_138691__en.ashx (cannondale.com)

You must be one of the few people who actually want this system. Pretty much everyone else takes it off their bikes.
Old 05-10-24, 09:45 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I’m in! Garmin Varia should be arriving tomorrow.
The stock Garmin seatpost mount sucks. I recommend this one: Amazon.com: TUSITA Bike Seat Post Mount Compatible with Garmin Varia RTL510 RTL515 RVR315, Rearview Radar - Round,D Shaped,Aero Seat Post Compatibility : Electronics
Old 05-10-24, 10:02 PM
PromptCritical 

I ordered one of those too, but Amazon seems to have lost them. Strange, the exact same thing happened last time I bought a Garmin product (power pedal upgrade) on Amazon.
Old 05-10-24, 11:01 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
I prefer the seatpost mounts that clamp on rather than the ones held on by rubber bands. You can find cheap ones from AliExpress that work fine on standard (27.2-31.6mm) round seatposts. This didn't quite fit for the larger diameter seatmast on my Trek Domane so I machined my own:

Likes For wayold:
Old 05-11-24, 09:29 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by wayold
I prefer the seatpost mounts that clamp on rather than the ones held on by rubber bands. You can find cheap ones from AliExpress that work fine on standard (27.2-31.6mm) round seatposts. This didn't quite fit for the larger diameter seatmast on my Trek Domane so I machined my own:

Holy sharp edges! My fat inner thighs tremble in fear.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-11-24, 10:04 AM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Holy sharp edges! My fat inner thighs tremble in fear.
Actually you're right. That was a picture from when I first test fit the radar mount, and in a test ride I did get the occasional bit of 'shorts rub'. So I just cut the corners off at 45 degrees as shown. I've since ridden with this set up for over 2000 miles without it ever making contact with any body part. Not as clean looking as the $4 AliExpress part, but it works for me.

Likes For wayold:
Old 05-11-24, 01:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by wayold
Actually you're right. That was a picture from when I first test fit the radar mount, and in a test ride I did get the occasional bit of 'shorts rub'. So I just cut the corners off at 45 degrees as shown. I've since ridden with this set up for over 2000 miles without it ever making contact with any body part. Not as clean looking as the $4 AliExpress part, but it works for me.
My inner thighs are fat and I had issues even with the bolt side of this mount: Amazon.com: TUSITA Seat Post Quarter Turn Mount Compatible with Garmin Varia RTL510 RTL515 RVR315 Rearview - Fit 27.2mm 30.9mm 31.6mm Bars Seatpost : Electronics
Old 05-12-24, 02:49 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
I've had one for years and recently lost it, ordered a new one and found the old one under a pile of my dogs stuffed animals....dang dog. Somehow I missed that there is a phone app for the varia! I was using my fenix watch which is good but in strong winds I might not hear the beep. On the phone it's awesome and loud with a great visual on the approach! Fun fact two...my old unit won't work with the app...only the newer model which is exactly like the old one...sigh.
Old 05-12-24, 04:40 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by howaboutme
Ok. I agree w/ you but I think you missed my point. My point is similar to the post just below yours. Of course always look behind!
No doubt. However, the Varia can help you know when to look. For example if I want to turn left, and the Garmin tells me a car’s there, I stay put, no need to look back, If it tells me nothing”s there it’s a good time to look, verify that, and make the move left.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-12-24, 05:38 PM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
No doubt. However, the Varia can help you know when to look. For example if I want to turn left, and the Garmin tells me a car’s there, I stay put, no need to look back, If it tells me nothing”s there it’s a good time to look, verify that, and make the move left.
Yep, preaching to the choir except I use the Bryton Gardia 300L.
Old 05-13-24, 11:13 AM
AxxisPowers

Bikes: CharlesraP

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used the Garmin Varia RTL515, and I can say I'm quite satisfied. Also, I've heard from a friend that the Wahoo Fitness RADR is similarly good.
Old 05-13-24, 03:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5899 Post(s)
Liked 2,762 Times in 1,543 Posts
It might be age, experience, or worldview, but even for free, I'm not interested.

Even if it worked great, I don't imagine there's any way to reliably predict which drivers are going to hit me from behind and which are going to swing around and pass safely (defined as no contact). Secondly, there's the question of timing, Even in the best of worlds, with excellent accuracy, I don't believe, I can get warned soon enough to react effectively. So, I don't want to ride where I'm repetitively diving for shoulders, or tuning out false alarms. If I can't use info effectively, I don't need to have my peace disturbed.

Ask those who live with automated warning alarms, ie. jet pilots, and they'll tell you how too many alarms is as bad, or worse, as never having alarms in the first place.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-14-24 at 12:41 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-13-24, 04:05 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by FBinNY

Ask those who live with automated warning alarms, ie. jet pilots, and they'll tell you how too many alarms is as bad, or worse, as never having alarms in the first place.
So true. I was flying a Cirrus SR-22 when it had an avionics failure, which normally isn't a big deal. There was no way to turn off the alarm, which was absolutely deafening, except to turn off all the power. After trying to dig out the hand held radio for a couple of minutes so we could still communicate , it turned out turned out to not be necessary as the failure turned into a serious amount of smoke in the cockpit so I turned off all the power anyway. (We were over the Miramar USMC Air Station, and I heard later they were seriously unhappy with the plane "going dark" in their airspace).

To keep this bike related, I've just acquired a Garmin Varia, and it works great from a detection standpoint, but I think it's really like to turn into a largely useless annoyance. Time will tell. Unfortunately, it's not easy to find a place to ride in San Diego without lots of cars at a reasonable hour.
Old 05-13-24, 04:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5899 Post(s)
Liked 2,762 Times in 1,543 Posts
.....so I turned off all the power anyway. (We were over the Miramar USMC Air Station, and I heard later they were seriously unhappy with the plane "going dark" in their airspace).
I imagine they would have been more upset if you landed there dead stick.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.