Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on NZ Vybe vs Launch vs Link C8

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.
View Poll Results: Which bike?
Vybe D7 $420USD
0%
Launch d8 (dahon branded gears brakes) $600USD
50.00%
Tern link c8 $600USD
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 09:00 PM
kiwijunglist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi

There are limited options in NZ I'm trying to decide between.

Dahon vybe d7. $700 NZ ($420 USD)
12.2 kg
Shimano Tourney 7 speed.
Deltec cable
Dahon v breaks

Dahon launch D8 $1000 NZD ($600 USD)
12.1kg
Dahon 8 speed derailer
Dahon branded disc breaks
New jaws hinge with deltec cable

Tern link c8 $1000 NZD ($600 USD)
Same specs as usa model

Is it worth getting the nz version of the launch given it only comes with dahon branded gears and brakes (as opposed to usa model).

Is it worth the extra $280USD over the vybe d7 model?

Is the tern link c8 better than the launch d8.

My use case is biking on pavement/ packed gravel/ packed dirt. leisurely rides with my 5 year old on the flat. store bike in boot of car (suv). don't need rear rack.

Thanks for thoughts.

Unfortunately i don't have any local dealers so i have to buy online. i have ridden an older dahon vybe (without the new deltec cable) and i thought it was fine for what i need.
Old 05-07-24, 02:40 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Avoid any seven speed model and stick with eight gears or more - they’re easier to upgrade or replace in future - so that kills off the Vybe.

The Dahon branded derailleur on the Launch is a standard fitting and unlike their Neos derailleurs doesn’t require an additional hanger to be replaced or upgraded, so don’t let that put you off.

I would say that these days there’s not much difference between the Dahon Launch D8 and the Tern Link C8. One thing of note is that Tern has a larger dealer network here in NZ but tend toward the ebike market, so while you may get more support in theory than from Dahon accessories specifically for folding bikes by Tern aren’t all available here.
Old 05-07-24, 11:40 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 92 Posts
The dahon bikes seem to be viewable in riccarton, for pickup too. I might just visit them to take a look.

I recommend the launch d8 for the disc brakes because rim brakes are a hassle since the 20" rims wear out so fast from the braking.

The jaw hinge should be much more stable but I haven't seen it in person. But that's why I'm curious and will go have a look at it.
Old 05-07-24, 11:56 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
The dahon bikes seem to be viewable in riccarton, for pickup too. I might just visit them to take a look.

I recommend the launch d8 for the disc brakes because rim brakes are a hassle since the 20" rims wear out so fast from the braking.

The jaw hinge should be much more stable but I haven't seen it in person. But that's why I'm curious and will go have a look at it.
let me know what you think. I'm in wellington and not going down to chch until Christmas and i want to buy a bike before then. I'm not sure if they are negotiable. the nz version of the launch d8 is a cheaper version than the usa version. i noticed our prices are similar to Singapore but more expensive than Hong Kong
Old 05-08-24, 12:15 AM
tomtomtom123

Originally Posted by kiwijunglist
let me know what you think. I'm in wellington and not going down to chch until Christmas and i want to buy a bike before then. I'm not sure if they are negotiable. the nz version of the launch d8 is a cheaper version than the usa version. i noticed our prices are similar to Singapore but more expensive than Hong Kong
It's $150 NZD more than in Hong Kong, but that's about the price for shipping, so it seems reasonable. That's what an extra baggage on a flight would also cost.

One problem you might find is warranty service. But I completely strip my bike and rebuild it with other components. The only thing I reuse is the frame, fork, handle post , and head set. If I got a disc brake model, then I'd keep the brakes and wheels too.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 05-08-24 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-08-24, 12:24 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 400 Posts
If, and only if, the Dahon Launch is the same features as in USA, meaning disc brakes, their latest hinge design (with the clamp lever on the bottom) and deltec, I think that's the better bike, but I haven't ridden one. And that seems like a good price.

Online for I think Taipei show, I have seen recently a Dahon Archer, with all of the above, plus 2X crank (a must for me, I retrofit my old Dahon with that), and all aluminum frame welds seem to be dressed (sanded) smooth like on Cannondales (at least old ones, don't know about now), that reduces the stress concentration at the weld/tube boundary, improving fatigue life. If that one is an option there and not way more money, I'd get it.
Old 05-09-24, 02:08 AM
tomtomtom123

I had a look at the launch D8, Hemingway, and mini 349.

All 3 have disc brakes and handlebars that fold inward instead of out. It makes the fold more compact but more fiddling to get it to fold. If you get grips with side handles, it may become impossible to fold, or maybe the latch on the handlebar may allow you to point the side handles vertically before folding. Maybe you can ask them to import you an outward folding handle post if you want one.

Hemingway and mini 349 were both 9 speed while launch was 8 speed. I don't think they can be upgraded to 11 speed because I couldn't see the 1.8mm spacer behind the cassette that would indicate compatibility for 11. So max would be 10 speed.

The Hemingway didn't have the deltec cable as pictured. So it's the older model. It felt heavier than the launch d8.

Hemingway has a strange boxy handle post hinge not seen on other dahon bikes but it shouldn't be a problem.

Launch d8 hinge was extremely stable. I could not feel any play . But I couldn't tell if that was due to the jaws or the deltec cable. In contrast,I could feel the typical play in the Hemingway and mini 349 vise grip hinge. But the pin in the launch d8 hinge is really thin compared to the typical dahon hinge. Perhaps the pin is more vulnerable when folded. But the vise grip latch of the Hemingway and mini 349 also has a risk of being bumped when folded .
​​​

Mini 349 was much lighter and more compact, but the wheelbase is shorter by around 5-10cm. Also the rims have parallel spokes instead of the traditional offset spokes, which some people claim risks cracking the rim since parallel spokes apply more stress to a single point on the rim.

Mini 349 also has a 24mm crank spindle so it's easier to upgrade if you want a different hollow tech type crank. Both the launch and Hemingway have square taper bottom bracket, so if you want to switch to hollow tech outboard bb, you need to first shave the sides of the shell to get the surfaces parallel.

Strangely, the launch and Hemingway have one threaded hole on the left rear dropout while 2 on the right side, making one of the holes unusable. I have no idea why they did that. The mini 349 has 2 threaded holes on both sides, so you can attach a mudguard and rear rack into separate pairs of holes, while on the launch and Hemingway you have to attach then overlapping on a single pair of holes.

The positioning of the holes and rear disc brake on the launch makes it easier to attach a straight stay for the rear rack. The mini 349 and Hemingway may need a curved stay to get around the disc brake. The store stocks such a curved stay for the rear rack they sell, but I use a larger tern cargo rack for touring so that would need a custom shaped part to fit.

The mini 349 front disc brake position makes it easier to attach a front rack of mudguard. On the launch and Hemingway, you may need to bend the mudguard stay to get around the disc brake.

All 3 bikes have a single pair of threaded holes on the front dropout.

There were no markings indicating the rim with for the launch or mini. But the Hemingway was marked as 17C. The others could possibly also be 17C. Although my dahon bike from the European market has 19C.

If you want a stable hinge, the launch D8 is good but I have no idea about it's longevity.

If you want cheaper, the Hemingway was $100 less for an extra 9 speed, but slightly heavier and with a typical vise grip hinge.

If you want lighter and more compact, the mini 349 was $200 more than the launch, but comes with 9 speed, although also with the vise grip hinge.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 05-09-24 at 02:16 AM.
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 05-09-24, 05:18 AM
Duragrouch

The Launch hinge latch spindle is loaded in tension, so should not need the diameter of their typical latch rods which are loaded in compression so more susceptible to buckling failure. The Launch hinge pin also should not be loaded when latched, unlike the standard Dahon hinges where the pin is loaded in shear and bending when latched. The Deltech reduces the longitudinal bending load on the whole joint, and puts it more in compressive shear.

I'm surprised that the Launch still comes with a square taper bottom bracket spindle. Even cheap bikes like the Zizzo come with hollow-spindle. I've installed a hollow spindle 2X crank on my mid-'00s Dahon speed without facing the BB shell, seems to work fine; I can see your point, but there is sufficient threads on the external bearings to override any face mismatch I think, and they seem to fit flush against the faces, and there is no binding of the hollow spindle.

It bugs me that the first photos of the launch showed a front derailleur braze-on mount but production this was absent, it makes it a lot easier and cheaper to mount an FD; Without it, the better FD adaptors are about $35 and have enough thickness to interfere with some FD cage lips, plus some FDs don't fit the adaptor because the linkage interferes. This is not a problem on a braze-on mount.

The price on the Launch seems great, only $100 more than a Zizzo Liberte in the USA, but superior features. Honestly, I would prefer a 4130 steel frame, but Dahon has been moving toward aluminum for a long time. I'd feel better about the welds if they were dressed smooth for better fatigue life at the tube juncture, and I'd do it myself except it would totally screw up the paint. A polished frame I could do it, I just saw about a '93(?) Cannondale crit racer at goodwill with a fully polished frame, it's sharp.
Old 05-09-24, 03:52 PM
tomtomtom123

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I'm surprised that the Launch still comes with a square taper bottom bracket spindle. Even cheap bikes like the Zizzo come with hollow-spindle. I've installed a hollow spindle 2X crank on my mid-'00s Dahon speed without facing the BB shell, seems to work fine; I can see your point, but there is sufficient threads on the external bearings to override any face mismatch I think, and they seem to fit flush against the faces, and there is no binding of the hollow spindle.
On my dahon bike that originally came with square taper, the bb shell faces had dried blobs of paint on them that prevented the outboard bearing cups from seating flush against the shell. So it had to be shaved.
Old 05-09-24, 10:04 PM
Duragrouch

On my dahon bike that originally came with square taper, the bb shell faces had dried blobs of paint on them that prevented the outboard bearing cups from seating flush against the shell. So it had to be shaved.
Oh, that's easier to remedy. My Dahon was old enough that it came with cone and cup bearings and not cartridge, so the BB shell faces were already smooth from the fixed cup and lockring bearing against them. A BB shell or headset facer is one of the few tools I do not own. If I replaced cranks often, I'd buy one.
Old 05-10-24, 10:21 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a look at the launch D8, Hemingway, and mini 349.
Thanks for sharing your visit. Do you think I should get the yellow or white launch d8, I thought both colours looked ok, was leaning towards the white.
Old 05-10-24, 11:56 PM
Duragrouch

Thanks for sharing your visit. Do you think I should get the yellow or white launch d8, I thought both colours looked ok, was leaning towards the white.
The Launch orginally came in orange with black seatstays and chainstays. That was superceded by a white which I think(?) may be night-reflective, not certain. So before making a decision, find out if that is true, and if so, whether that applies to both colors. To me, both are good colors, but I would have the additional consideration of color coordination with panniers.
Old 05-11-24, 01:15 AM
kiwijunglist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I will never upgrade the bike or add panniers etc.
Old 05-11-24, 01:41 AM
Duragrouch

I will never upgrade the bike or add panniers etc.
Didn't think so. If night reflectivity is an issue, check on both colors. If not, just pick the one you like best.
Old 05-15-24, 01:55 PM
tomtomtom123

What did you eventually decide?
Old 05-15-24, 02:13 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What did you eventually decide?
Hi, haven't pulled trigger yet... I'm a little indecisive. Probably get launch d8 in white. My sons new bike just arrived from Europe (Woom 3 from bikeinn), so i need to get something soon so we can go for a ride.
Old 05-15-24, 06:01 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 604 Posts
The Dahon Launch is the best option in this instance. Color wise, I'd like the white one myself. Enjoy riding with your child... 👍

Last edited by tds101; 05-15-24 at 06:14 PM.
Likes For tds101:
Old 05-16-24, 03:28 AM
kiwijunglist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks. it seems my new woom 3 arrived with some issue
Old 05-16-24, 03:32 AM
kiwijunglist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I made a post in bicycle mechanics subforum, it seems I'm not allowed to post a link to that post.
Old 05-16-24, 01:02 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 604 Posts
I made a post in bicycle mechanics subforum, it seems I'm not allowed to post a link to that post.
You now have 10 posts, so you can share pics and links. Welcome aboard!
Old 05-16-24, 08:37 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...b-problem.html
Likes For kiwijunglist: