Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can a Mountain Bike be a ‘Classic’?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-24, 08:25 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor, Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts

I have a line on a 1983 Rocky Mountain Sherpa Super Scooter which some claim to be the first mountain bike. I was thinking of a light mod into a back roads touring bike. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge of this bike model. The vendor wants $250CAN (about $175US) which seems kind of high end though the vendor insists ‘it’s a classic’.
Likes For Mountain Mitch:
Old 05-11-24, 08:51 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 114 Posts
Well, it's a first generation mass produced mountain bike. Some might call it a classic, others wouldn't. For my money, an early fillet-brazed Ritchey, Breezer or similar hand-made MTB qualifies as a classic, anything else not so much.
Old 05-11-24, 08:55 AM
AeroFred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
Well, it's a first generation mass produced mountain bike. Some might call it a classic, others wouldn't. For my money, an early fillet-brazed Ritchey, Breezer or similar hand-made MTB qualifies as a classic, anything else not so much.
Well, I tend to agree with that . . .
Old 05-11-24, 08:56 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,521 Posts
classics?

this 1 sold for $135.ca this month(repaint?) so something to compare.a comparable ross Mt. whitney's have been advertised around $500.+ but if they actually sell for that is another question.Rocky Mountain seem to retain their value.if you plan on keeping don't think it will devalue a whole lot.good riders,have owned a couple mt. whitney's.org. decals & finish are a big plus on any model.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3819913/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2416124/
Old 05-11-24, 09:00 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,670 Times in 957 Posts
Only you can judge if you think $175 US is "worth it."
For me, I'd compare it to the price derived from a fancy 2 person meal at a restaurant. It's really not all that hard to top $100 on a pair of medium priced Chicken or Steak Caeser salads and a couple of Margaritas. Throw in a tip & a night-cap...At least tomorrow, you'd still have the bike after said meal would have been long deposited and meal partner has gone home.

For me, anything under $200 is worth it just to experience a new or different bike. What's the worst that can happen? A weekend got a project & a few unallocated dollars have been displaced from my wallet?

For obvious reasons, see what the seller will accept. The bike market has crashed in the last year or 2. It wouldn't hurt to nit-pick it a bit to see where it gets you. Subtract $40 for cables & housing, maybe another $25 for each necessary tire & $10 for each set of brake pads that need replacing. Having an actual, objective reason the seller should discount carries more weight in getting the seller to budge.

Last edited by base2; 05-11-24 at 09:08 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-11-24, 09:43 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked 1,867 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
I have a line on a 1983 Rocky Mountain Sherpa Super Scooter which some claim to be the first mountain bike.
The Smithsonian has in their collection a Stumpjumper identical to my 1982. Smithsonian. Hmm. Classic enough for me.
Old 05-11-24, 10:13 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 114 Posts
And FWIW, many people seem to use "classic" and "vintage" interchangeably. IMO, "classic" has to do with quality and "vintage" to do with age.
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 05-11-24, 11:19 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 653 Posts
I do think some first gen mountain bikes qualify as classics. But, when in doubt, jump in here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1229514-what-constitutes-classic-vintage-bicycle.html
Old 05-11-24, 12:19 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 527 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 3,952 Times in 1,463 Posts
@Repack Rider could say a few things about what constitutes a “classic” mountain bike, but I think it’s very subjective and hard to judge, especially for people who weren’t a part of that early scene. Personally, I am most fascinated by the things riders did to turn other bikes into serviceable mountain bikes before production models were available. The very early production frames are interesting from a historical perspective and many are quite useful as practical commuter/city bikes. The thing is, much more so than with road bikes, modern mountain bikes are so much better than early production mountain bikes that it’s hard for me to imagine using one for its original purpose, unless you just want to get a sense of just how hardcore those people were.
Old 05-11-24, 12:42 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 916 Times in 475 Posts
This forum is obviously more biased toward the road category, but take a look at sold listings on eBay sometime for old stumpjumpers, lugged Trek MTBs, Breezers, Fat Chance, Yeti, etc. and you’ll see that there is plenty value in them. The nature of collecting being what it is, people tend to covet things they wanted in their childhood, so I think that’s part of the reason 80s mountain bikes are rising in value, whereas older road bikes are (in general) not.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-11-24, 03:08 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 163 Posts
Simple answer, yes….classic and vintage. Just like cars, those built as race models in low volumes are the most sought after…all the more if the manufacturer was a winner. 1985 Fisher Comp, owned since new.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 05-12-24, 06:38 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 535 Posts
In the early days of mountain biking, there was a lot of regional influence and experimentation based on the local terrain, both with backyard builders and small companies. When the bigger corporations got involved, the designs got more homogenized across the industry to copy whatever the current trend was. I think some of those early experimental dead ends could be called "classic" , even though they were later superseded by much better ideas.
Old 05-12-24, 08:39 AM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
@Repack Rider could say a few things about what constitutes a “classic” mountain bike, but I think it’s very subjective and hard to judge, especially for people who weren’t a part of that early scene. Personally, I am most fascinated by the things riders did to turn other bikes into serviceable mountain bikes before production models were available. The very early production frames are interesting from a historical perspective and many are quite useful as practical commuter/city bikes. The thing is, much more so than with road bikes, modern mountain bikes are so much better than early production mountain bikes that it’s hard for me to imagine using one for its original purpose, unless you just want to get a sense of just how hardcore those people were.

My opinion of what is a classic mountain bike is not very useful here. For me, it is one built in a garage before 1985.

I'm not a collector, but over the past four decades a lot of mountain bikes have passed through my hands. The ones I have kept all have the names of my original colleagues in the sport, Breeze, Ritchey, Fisher).

Although I spent a lot of time riding fully rigid bikes in the day, I like a lot of squish now, and who doesn't appreciate working brakes?. My 1983 Ritchey Annapurna has been converted into my town bike, with 1.5" slicks. It is the zippiest town bike ever. I own a road bike (1975 Colnago) , but I never ride it.
Likes For Repack Rider:
Old 05-12-24, 09:06 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
And FWIW, many people seem to use "classic" and "vintage" interchangeably. IMO, "classic" has to do with quality and "vintage" to do with age.
Agree, the C&V section is about classic vintage bikes and there are many classic vintage makers that are now producing classic remakes thus not vintage.
Old 05-12-24, 09:40 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,999 Times in 1,140 Posts

almost instant classics
Old 05-12-24, 09:46 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,999 Times in 1,140 Posts

almost instant classic