Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Why exercise produces less weight loss than you might expect

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Why exercise produces less weight loss than you might expect

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-24, 06:59 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Interesting.

It's possible that I don't have my FTP set right. It could be a little low, but not be more than 15 watts, I don't think.
Let's hope so -- a 15 watt discrepancy is pretty big, and would affect zones and TSS estimates (not that zones or TSS estimates are that critical -- I'm just saying they'd be affected).
Old 05-10-24, 05:39 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 762 Posts
I have a weird issue. According to my "Traits" on Ancestry.com, I have the muscle composition of an "elite power lifter." This strikes me as ironic because if there's anything I don't like it's power lifting. But, it might explain some things. Like not doing any resistance training for a year, coming back to it and being able to lift the same weight within a couple weeks. And, to the issue of weight, if I start lifting I will jump from 187 lbs to 195 lbs quickly. I'm wondering if the leg fitness I gain cycling might cause weight gain that offsets the calorie expenditure. I don't know.
Old 05-10-24, 09:43 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4432 Post(s)
Liked 3,059 Times in 1,893 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I have a weird issue. According to my "Traits" on Ancestry.com, I have the muscle composition of an "elite power lifter." This strikes me as ironic because if there's anything I don't like it's power lifting. But, it might explain some things. Like not doing any resistance training for a year, coming back to it and being able to lift the same weight within a couple weeks. And, to the issue of weight, if I start lifting I will jump from 187 lbs to 195 lbs quickly. I'm wondering if the leg fitness I gain cycling might cause weight gain that offsets the calorie expenditure. I don't know.
Question authority.
Old 05-10-24, 10:09 AM
bruce19

Question authority.
That all depends. If I need surgery I'm gonna go with a medical opinion rather than BF wisdom. .
Old 05-10-24, 10:12 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 405 Posts
Besides tracking calories via power meters on all my bikes, I also have a smart watch(not the most accurate measurement, I know.) My current observation, now that I'm currently in a high level of fitness, is that my non-exercise calorie burn rate is much lower than when I was in lesser fitness. I'm just more efficient than I used to be, and don't reach the same HR outside of actual exercise.

That being said, exercise still plays a huge part in my daily caloric needs. Based on power, my estimated caloric loss from even an easy ride is still 1000 calories...from there, 2k to 4k calories over baseline, is fairly normal on my outdoor rides. These numbers are pretty accurate, as I can easily lose, gain, or maintain weight off of them. A side benefit of doing longer rides, is my ability to consume 4-5k calories a day and not gain weight.
Old 05-10-24, 10:29 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10217 Post(s)
Liked 5,924 Times in 3,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Besides tracking calories via power meters on all my bikes, I also have a smart watch(not the most accurate measurement, I know.) My current observation, now that I'm currently in a high level of fitness, is that my non-exercise calorie burn rate is much lower than when I was in lesser fitness. I'm just more efficient than I used to be, and don't reach the same HR outside of actual exercise.
If your resting heart rate is reduced due to high fitness and your watch is using RHR to estimate basal metabolic rate, it's going to be very confused. BMR should increase with activity level.
Old 05-10-24, 11:03 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

That all depends. If I need surgery I'm gonna go with a medical opinion rather than BF wisdom. .
Agreed. And where do you place Ancestry.com on that continuum?
Old 05-10-24, 11:43 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3546 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 1,855 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
If your resting heart rate is reduced due to high fitness and your watch is using RHR to estimate basal metabolic rate, it's going to be very confused. BMR should increase with activity level.
BMR is primarily a function of lean body mass, yes?

Old 05-10-24, 11:51 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by terrymorse
BMR is primarily a function of lean body mass, yes?
Yes, but per kg, it’s controlled by metabolic demand and endocrine signaling (thyroid, adrenal, sex hormones, etc.).
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-10-24, 01:08 PM
bruce19

Agreed. And where do you place Ancestry.com on that continuum?
From all that I've read/youtubed it seems like there is accurate information, although limited, on these types of sites. And, it does seem consistent with my personal experience.Another example is their assertion that based on my genetic profile there is a great chance that caffeine (coffee in my case) has little to no effect on me. and, in fact, I drink coffee constantly with no affect. I could and have had several cups of black coffee just before bed and fall asleep quickly as usual.

Last edited by bruce19; 05-10-24 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-10-24, 02:21 PM
MinnMan

From all that I've read/youtubed it seems like there is accurate information, although limited, on these types of sites. And, it does seem consistent with my personal experience.Another example is their assertion that based on my genetic profile there is a great chance that caffeine (coffee in my case) has little to no effect on me. and, in fact, I drink coffee constantly with no affect. I could and have had several cups of black coffee just before bed and fall asleep quickly as usual.
Me too. That's because the two of us consume so much and have developed a tolerance. Whether it is genetic is debatable.

As to youtube telling you that such sites are accurate, I suggest you consider a little deeper. There are different meanings to the term "accurate". These DNA tests may be highly accurate in some respects - i.e., in identifying whether you are related to somebody else, but the relationship between your DNA and your biochemical or neuromuscular traits cannot be any more accurate than the limits of our present scientific understanding of these connections. And these are indeed limited. Caveat Emptor.

You will note that (at least as far as I know) pro teams do not do DNA tests to determine which young cyclists will develop the greatest power numbers or VO2 max. They put the kid on the bike and see how many watts he/she can crank out. Or, if you prefer....

though few genes have now been repeatedly associated with elite athletic performance, these associations are not strong enough to be predictive and the use of genetic testing of these variants in talent selection is premature
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8023127/
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-10-24, 03:23 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 405 Posts
The watch is imperfect, it's estimated BMR is fixed off of weight. It's poorly worded on my part, but what I meant was that my estimated daily average caloric expenditure(not including riding) has gone down. I'm not nessicarily talking BMR, but all the daily activities and movements that aren't necessarily exercise. I typically don't work at a desk and I'm pretty active even outside of riding, but my average HR is lower doing those activities. I know the watch is inaccurate, and to me a watt of movement is still a watt, regardless of the heart rate. So I wonder if I'm truly burning less calories doing those daily activities or if I just do it at a lower heart rate.
Old 05-10-24, 05:07 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
The watch is imperfect, it's estimated BMR is fixed off of weight. It's poorly worded on my part, but what I meant was that my estimated daily average caloric expenditure(not including riding) has gone down. I'm not nessicarily talking BMR, but all the daily activities and movements that aren't necessarily exercise. I typically don't work at a desk and I'm pretty active even outside of riding, but my average HR is lower doing those activities. I know the watch is inaccurate, and to me a watt of movement is still a watt, regardless of the heart rate. So I wonder if I'm truly burning less calories doing those daily activities or if I just do it at a lower heart rate.
Yeah, I think that’s what my watch does too. Not very useful. I agree a joule is a joule is a joule and I’m pretty certain baseline energy requirement goes up with training.
Old 05-11-24, 09:38 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 4,568 Times in 3,060 Posts
Been dedicated to my garage gym for 27 weeks and actually gained weight while losing fat or at least making the body fat firmer lol. I’m lucky to be a mesomorph so I gain muscle easily even at 56.
My doctor says it comes down to diet most of all.
Old 05-12-24, 09:01 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,971 Times in 1,407 Posts
Congratulations! You may not have to worry about sarcopenia. Weight gain comes from too many calories, doesn't matter if it's muscle or fat. Those skinny pros spend time in the gym, they just ride a lot and don't eat more than they need to, meal composition carefully controlled. A talent for GTs is the ability to recover and not lose muscle mass. Good on you.
Old 05-13-24, 05:23 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Congratulations! You may not have to worry about sarcopenia. Weight gain comes from too many calories, doesn't matter if it's muscle or fat. Those skinny pros spend time in the gym, they just ride a lot and don't eat more than they need to, meal composition carefully controlled. A talent for GTs is the ability to recover and not lose muscle mass. Good on you.
I'm an optimist so I'm telling myself that I won't become frail with age.

Last edited by bruce19; 05-13-24 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-13-24, 09:03 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
This is something that has been touched on many times in T&N, though I don't see a particular thread on it.

Lots of folks have pointed out that exercise (or rather, exercise alone) doesn't lead to weight loss. More specific would be that if your data tracking (power meter, etc.) tells you that you are burning x calories/week, over the long term, you aren't going to lose x/3500 pounds week (where 1 lb. = 3500 calories, usually).

A lot of this is commonly ascribed to greater food intake - exercise makes you hungrier, or you give yourself license to eat more b/c you had a long ride, or you consume calories as fuel before and during your ride.

The interesting and relatively new dimension (last 10 years or so) is metabolic compensation. The idea is that if you tire yourself out with a ride, you do less during the day. E.g., from calories you burn Saturday morning, you must subtract the calories you aren't burning Saturday afternoon because you're sitting on the couch, rather than doing household chores. Or because of your pre-work workout, you are tired and therefore are fidgeting less in your chair at work. From my understanding, some metabolic compensation isn't even voluntary - i.e., it's an evolutionary mechanism to conserve energy that kicks in, regardless of your level of non-workout activity.

There have been some good articles on this.

Here's one in the NYT (behind a paywall). https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/w...-calories.html
Another, from Vox. https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/1684543...-burn-calories

For me, the take home message isn't that you can't lose weight from exercise. From my own experience, I know that I can. Rather, it is that exercise is a rather limited weight loss tool, with net results likely to be smaller than one might hope.
This is SO me. I rode more miles last year than I have ever ridden and I gained 12 pounds. I rode hard and was utterly useless for anything else when I got off the bike. I'm now riding about 10 miles (instead of 20-25) and calling it a day before I am starving and consuming everything in sight when I get home. I love to ride but this isn't paying off. Except for the legs, the legs are hard as rocks.
Old 05-15-24, 07:23 AM
bruce19

Something weird is happening with me this year. I've just gotten back on the bike due to a month long respiratory illness. And, the weather here in northeast CT has sucked. So, I've started out with shorter rides (around 10 mi) and spinning easily instead of using power. My rides are all between 13-13.5 mph. Here's the strange part. Usually after a ride I have no appetite, But, now I'm hungry but really hungry for sweets. That's very different for me. I have no guess why.
Old 05-16-24, 07:59 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 78 Posts
I just found out the body stores water in muscles after a workout to dilute lactic acid. Answered a question for me about why I always gain weight after a tough ride, even if I don't make up the caloric use from the ride.
Old 05-16-24, 09:33 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by PromptCritical
I just found out the body stores water in muscles after a workout to dilute lactic acid. Answered a question for me about why I always gain weight after a tough ride, even if I don't make up the caloric use from the ride.
Exercise can cause muscle to retain water, but not to dilute lactic acid. Lactate is a fuel molecule and is rapidly cleared from blood and muscle after exercise. The H+ ion associated with it associated with it is quickly buffered by HCO3- in blood, yielding water and CO2.
Old 05-16-24, 09:46 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Exercise can cause muscle to retain water, but not to dilute lactic acid. Lactate is a fuel molecule and is rapidly cleared from blood and muscle after exercise. The H+ ion associated with it associated with it is quickly buffered by HCO3- in blood, yielding water and CO2.
Wait! What? You mean I can't trust what I read on the interwebs?
Old 05-16-24, 09:55 AM
MoAlpha
• —

What I just wrote is my lived reality!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-16-24, 09:56 AM
PromptCritical 

Like what I just wrote? Trust no one!
My doctor hates WebMD.......LOL
Old 05-16-24, 11:24 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
You may not be able to trust what your doctor says either. Best to get information from more than one source and make your best judgement. Too many people dismiss any internet info as ridiculous without ever researching enough, and too many blindly follow whatever a doctor prescribes. You don't need to jump on any advice from internet sources like it's all 100% accurate, but you can't do that with anything.
Old 05-16-24, 11:30 AM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by RH Clark
You may not be able to trust what your doctor says either. Best to get information from more than one source and make your best judgement. Too many people dismiss any internet info as ridiculous without ever researching enough, and too many blindly follow whatever a doctor prescribes. You don't need to jump on any advice from internet sources like it's all 100% accurate, but you can't do that with anything.
Well, that was a joke, and I can assure you that I don't blindly follow anything, and my Doctor is an absolutely fantastic doc, including being willing to admit the limits of her expertise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.