Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lake Tahoe Ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lake Tahoe Ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-24, 08:17 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 114 Posts
Lake Tahoe Ride

Anyone doing the ride around Lake Tahoe next month? https://cure.lls.org/event/2024-amer...e-ride/e498158

I'm thinking of going. I've done it (unorganized) in 1984 and 2009. Great ride.
Old 05-10-24, 08:59 AM
NVFlinch 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 56 Posts
Yep, I be there. Did it in 2013 with my daughter, son-in-law and grandson, then again last year on my own, and a half hour faster. Fantastic scenery, 3,500 riders (not as much of a zoo as you think), and at my age I can keep up with most riders - secret sauce is that I live at 4,500' and train up to 6,000', and the ride is between 6250' and 7,000' elevation. Most riders come from flatland at low elevations. Well organized. You be severe crazy not to do this ride!

Serotta CSI last year, and Serotta Legend this year.

*** 2013 ***

*** 2023***

https://www.bikethewest.com/americas...ful-bike-ride/
Likes For NVFlinch:
Old 05-10-24, 10:15 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 699 Posts
i ride from 50 to incline and there is a lot of traffic, though i do go about a month later. not sure i'd want to do the whole lake. it really is beautiful though.
Old 05-10-24, 02:58 PM
melissam

Bikes: Merlin Camena, Trek Domane SL7 Gen 4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Go Team!

I will be leading this group of lovely ladies around the Lake on June 2.

Likes For melissam:
Old 05-11-24, 05:58 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 40 Posts
Did the September version a few years ago. After many trips to Tahoe, was nice to do the entire lake lap! Great support and a fun day (though the 35 degree temp at the start was a bit much!)
Old 05-11-24, 06:37 PM
NVFlinch 

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i ride from 50 to incline and there is a lot of traffic, though i do go about a month later. not sure i'd want to do the whole lake. it really is beautiful though.
Hwy 89 is shut down to cars until 08:30, making the Emerald Bay climb easy and safe. While there's always lots of Tahoe traffic, so many bikes are on the road that the traffic is very aware of them. I wouldn't do the route on my own, but feel a lot safer the way ithe event is run. The most unsafe thing I've ever seen are the touri (plural of 'Tourist') renting E-Bike/monster-cross-evil-things and zooming around cross traffic with no helemts.
Old 05-12-24, 09:09 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 137 Posts
How does one get on the email list for future rides? Didn't see a way on the website.
Old 05-12-24, 11:36 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
How does one get on the email list for future rides? Didn't see a way on the website.
Here is registration web site: https://cure.lls.org/event/2024-amer...e-ride/e498158

I have done it multiple times, solo as well as a part of AMBBR, the name (America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride) does not lie, but the weather is very unpredictable that time of the year.
Layering is the key...
Likes For vtje:
Old 05-13-24, 08:25 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by vtje
Here is registration web site: https://cure.lls.org/event/2024-amer...e-ride/e498158

I have done it multiple times, solo as well as a part of AMBBR, the name (America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride) does not lie, but the weather is very unpredictable that time of the year.
Layering is the key...
Thanks!!!
Old 05-13-24, 10:08 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by NVFlinch
Hwy 89 is shut down to cars until 08:30, making the Emerald Bay climb easy and safe. While there's always lots of Tahoe traffic, so many bikes are on the road that the traffic is very aware of them. I wouldn't do the route on my own, but feel a lot safer the way ithe event is run. The most unsafe thing I've ever seen are the touri (plural of 'Tourist') renting E-Bike/monster-cross-evil-things and zooming around cross traffic with no helemts.
good that the road is closed for the event. but it is too d@mn cold to be riding, at least for me.