Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tell me again that tubeless is stupid

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tell me again that tubeless is stupid

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 11:28 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Have you tried it?
I assume this was directed at me, regarding use of sealant in tubes. If so, the answer is "yes." I've been using sealant in tubes on three bikes for over ten years.
Old 05-13-24, 11:35 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked 8,352 Times in 3,945 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
You will have to pry the tubes from my cold dead hands!
Caught in a blizzard, stranded by one too many tube punctures?
Old 05-13-24, 11:56 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 3,525 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I assume this was directed at me, regarding use of sealant in tubes. If so, the answer is "yes." I've been using sealant in tubes on three bikes for over ten years.

Anyone recommending it (including Jan Heine).

What sealant did you use?

I am really surprised how poorly it worked in my one attempt.
Old 05-13-24, 12:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 3,525 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Sounds exactly like my tubeless experience. 48mm Rene Herse Barlow Pass tires on Velocity A23 rims simply would not seat, no matter what we tried, including a compressor, and the strap-around-the-circumference trick. Did not buy and try an Airshot or similar bottle inflator, because l can't take one with me on my unsupported rides, now, can I.
Barlows are 38mm.

The trick that has always worked for me with Rene Herse and other tires with flimsy sidewalls it to first mount the tire with a tube in it, and seat it correctly. Then open whichever side was easier to seal, and pull out the tube, put in a valve without the core, and then seat it with a blast from a pump. When it has seated properly, remove the pump head. All the air will come out of course, but the tire beads should remain in place. (Sometimes it helps to lay the wheel on its side.) Replace the valve core and inflate. If everything works, take the valve core out again, inject the sealant, again replace the valve core, and pump it again. You shouldn't need to do it in the field, but if you do, it will be easier once the tire has a "memory" of being mounted. If I am not in a hurry, I leave the tube in overnight.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 05-13-24 at 02:17 PM. Reason: ambiguity correction
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-13-24, 12:31 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
Which model of tire did this happen on?

So I know which tire not to buy.

I'm tubeless in everything (fat, gravel and mountain) except my road bike which is TPU tube.
Old 05-13-24, 01:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked 5,773 Times in 2,913 Posts

Rene Herse and other tires with flimsy sidewalls,,,,
I gather they prefer supple.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-13-24, 01:41 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
Sure, but the OP's anecdote states that he couldn't find the puncture site to plug that way.
Not my problem. If the puncture is big enough then IME it is easy enough to find and plug. I think the OP had an edge case where they managed to keep riding anyway. I prefer the option of plugging punctures vs not, which is one of the main reasons I prefer tubeless over tubed. Something I picked up years ago from running tubeless UST mtb wheels. No sealant in those days, just relied on plugs to fix flats, which I always found way more convenient than messing around with tubes.
Old 05-13-24, 02:38 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 472 Posts
Barlows are 38mm.

The trick that has always worked for me with Rene Herse and other tires with flimsy sidewalls it to first mount the tire with a tube in it, and seat it correctly. Then open whichever side was easier to seal, and pull out the tube, put in a valve without the core, and then seat it with a blast from a pump. When it has seated properly, remove the pump head. All the air will come out of course, but the tire beads should remain in place. (Sometimes it helps to lay the wheel on its side.) Replace the valve core and inflate. If everything works, take the valve core out again, inject the sealant, again replace the valve core, and pump it again. You shouldn't need to do it in the field, but if you do, it will be easier once the tire has a "memory" of being mounted. If I am not in a hurry, I leave the tube in overnight.
Hatcher Pass tires - must have had Barlow-on-the-brain.

It sounds plausible that broken-in tires would seat easier. Next time my brother visits, I'll bet he'll want to try - it's his bike and they're his wheels. Thanks for the tip.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 05-13-24, 02:46 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 1,104 Posts
All of my bikes are tubeless now, exclusively road bikes ridden 99% on pavement.

Unlike others who've had no on road issues, I've had several. Cut sidewalls requiring boot and tube (3), tread cuts that did not seal (2). Every one of those would have been an identical failure and repair if originally tubed.

So that's a wash.

I've had one cut that I successfully repaired with a plug.

So that's a win.

I've had many punctures on road that sealed with minimal pressure loss.

That's a win.

I've had many frustrating sessions in the garage trying to successfully tape a rim, trying to seat a tire, trying to remove a tire.

That's not a win. I'm getting better, perhaps have taping figured out, which is huge.

IMO, road tubeless is not as great as often reported, not as easy as often suggested. But still an overall improvement.

I just rode a 400k brevet, pretty sure my rear tire (gp5k) settled down to 20psi for the last 200 miles. I could have stopped and tubed it, but meh - which itself is a tubeless win.
Old 05-13-24, 02:54 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,231 Posts
Barlows are 38mm.

This pretty much describes my method for the seasonal clean out and replacement of sealant in my mt bike tubeless tires. Works a charm usually,
Old 05-13-24, 02:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

IMO, road tubeless is not as great as often reported, not as easy as often suggested. But still an overall improvement.

[/QUOTE]

Tend to agree with this. One thing forgotten is that with tubeless, you can generally run less air pressure. I find running 70-80 psi on my road bike, instead of 105-110 makes for a far more comfortable ride. So that’s a win.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-13-24, 03:17 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Counterpoint - you probably got the flat due to improper chain wax regimen.
I heard he once passed another cyclist without waving. A clear case of well earned karma.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-13-24, 03:20 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 49 Posts
"Tubeless is stupid"
Can I get a cookie now?
Old 05-13-24, 03:21 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12954 Post(s)
Liked 7,875 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by slow rollin
"Tubeless is stupid"
Can I get a cookie now?
No cookies. How 'bout a nice patch kit?
Old 05-13-24, 03:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked 11,272 Times in 4,812 Posts
Yeah, I kind of suspect that brag was the real point of the thread, but it is a well-deserved, hard-earned bragging right. Congrats!
Thanks for the congrats, but bragging was not the point, as I suspect many bf'ers regularly do more impressive rides.

The point, as outlined in the original post, is that my riding conditions are mine -- and in those conditions, I benefit from tubeless tires. The post is addressed to those bf'ers who can't fathom that other people may not ride for the same reasons, or on the same roads, as they do.

As for the OT posts about pool noodles and injecting sealant into tubes...well, that's just the sort of dross that lands in almost every bf thread.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-13-24, 03:34 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
No cookies. How 'bout a nice patch kit?
I should be fine, I got sealent in my tubes so i can be the bridge between tubeless and tube users.
Now I just need to carry a sewing kit for my imaginary friend who runs sew-ups........
Likes For slow rollin:
Old 05-13-24, 04:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 5,965 Times in 3,061 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
All of my bikes are tubeless now, exclusively road bikes ridden 99% on pavement.

Unlike others who've had no on road issues, I've had several. Cut sidewalls requiring boot and tube (3), tread cuts that did not seal (2). Every one of those would have been an identical failure and repair if originally tubed.

So that's a wash.

I've had one cut that I successfully repaired with a plug.

So that's a win.

I've had many punctures on road that sealed with minimal pressure loss.

That's a win.

I've had many frustrating sessions in the garage trying to successfully tape a rim, trying to seat a tire, trying to remove a tire.

That's not a win. I'm getting better, perhaps have taping figured out, which is huge.

I just rode a 400k brevet, pretty sure my rear tire (gp5k) settled down to 20psi for the last 200 miles. I could have stopped and tubed it, but meh - which itself is a tubeless win.
100%. Mounting and seating can be a PITA, or not. Many have struggled and learned ‘how to’, myself included. Work a bit to get the tires on and then enjoy the long lived benefit.
I see it as a worthwhile trade-off.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-13-24, 05:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18559 Post(s)
Liked 15,974 Times in 7,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Thanks for the congrats, but bragging was not the point, as I suspect many bf'ers regularly do more impressive rides.

The point, as outlined in the original post, is that my riding conditions are mine -- and in those conditions, I benefit from tubeless tires. The post is addressed to those bf'ers who can't fathom that other people may not ride for the same reasons, or on the same roads, as they do.

As for the OT posts about pool noodles and injecting sealant into tubes...well, that's just the sort of dross that lands in almost every bf thread.
You sound like a scared cyclist,
Old 05-13-24, 05:53 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 768 Posts
And, the results?
Old 05-13-24, 06:34 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Steve B.
One thing forgotten is that with tubeless, you can generally run less air pressure. I find running 70-80 psi on my road bike, instead of 105-110 makes for a far more comfortable ride. So that’s a win.
With road tyres, pressure is related far more to tyre width/volume than whether or not tubeless. For the same width tyre, the recommended pressures are within a few psi for tubed vs tubeless.

It’s a bit different with mtb tyres where pinch flatting might require significantly higher pressure with a tubed tyre.
Old 05-13-24, 06:40 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
With road tyres, pressure is related far more to tyre width/volume than whether or not tubeless. For the same width tyre, the recommended pressures are within a few psi for tubed vs tubeless.

It’s a bit different with mtb tyres where pinch flatting might require significantly higher pressure with a tubed tyre.
At lower pressures on a tubed tire, more likely to pinch flat. Thus you need to run higher psi. With tubeless road, same thing as with a mt bike tire, no tube to pinch, thus lower psi is acceptable. Thus greater ride comfort. My experience at any rate.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-13-24, 06:51 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Steve B.
At lower pressures on a tubed tire, more likely to pinch flat. Thus you need to run higher psi. With tubeless road, same thing as with a mt bike tire, no tube to pinch, thus lower psi is acceptable. Thus greater ride comfort. My experience at any rate.
The difference with road tyres is that the optimum running pressure (lowest rolling resistance) should be high enough to avoid pinch flats regardless. But you are correct in saying that you could run much lower tubeless pressures if you wanted to maximise ride comfort.
Old 05-13-24, 08:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Anyone recommending it (including Jan Heine).

What sealant did you use?

I am really surprised how poorly it worked in my one attempt.
FWIW, I use "Stan's."
Old 05-13-24, 08:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by bruce19
And, the results?
Well enough for me to still be using it after ten years.
Old 05-13-24, 10:31 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Oh, boo hoo hoo.

The crap we put up with here from the resident bf buttheads, who can't even take a joke! Sheesh!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH !! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.