Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mezzo D9 advice

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Mezzo D9 advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 04:05 PM
beardyjj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mezzo D9 advice

Hello,

I’m thinking of purchasing a used Mezzo D9 due to its solid reputation. I’ve heard many good things about its performance and design, which makes it a strong contender.

However, I’ve come across some other threads and comments suggesting that models produced before the 2008 upgrade might have safety concerns due to a design flaw with the forks. I obviously want to make sure that the bike I buy is safe to ride, so I’m looking for advice on how to identify the post-2008 models with the safer forks when browsing through photos on auction sites. Are there any distinctive features that I should look out for?

I’m also curious about the possibility of making the Mezzo D9 lighter through part upgrades. Has anyone here experimented with swapping out original parts for lighter alternatives? What kind of weight reduction is achievable, and what parts would you recommend changing?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-13-24, 04:08 PM
beardyjj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mezzo D9 advice

Hello,

I’m thinking of buying the Mezzo due to its solid reputation. I’ve heard many good things about its performance and design, which makes it a strong contender.

However, I’ve come across some old threads and comments suggesting that models produced before the 2008 upgrade might have safety concerns due to an issue with the forks? I obviously want to make sure that the bike I buy is safe to ride, so I’m looking for advice on how to identify the post-2008 models with the safer forks when browsing through photos on auction sites. Are there any distinctive features that I should look out for?

I’m also curious about the possibility of making the D9 lighter through part upgrades. Has anyone here experimented with swapping out original parts for lighter alternatives? What kind of weight reduction is achievable, and what parts would you recommend changing?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.
Old 05-13-24, 05:46 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3116 Post(s)
Liked 6,756 Times in 3,864 Posts
Merged duplicate threads

Old 05-14-24, 02:55 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 419 Posts

Just me, but I think the handlepost and stem design is silly, and heavy. Note that the bottom stem projects far forward, then the top stem is tilted back, to put the handlebars almost directly above the top of the fork steer tube. That's the long way around (with more weight) to achieve the same result as a typical bifold (Dahon, Zizzo, et al) handlepost that just goes vertical from the steer tube (direct path) for the same result. Bike Friday uses a long post tilted aft in line with the steer tube, then attaches a typical stem on top to put the handlebars more forward, again, same result. The BF has the advantage to adjust stem reach and can mount a suspension stem, but the further aft handlepost is easier to hit with your knees when climbing standing.

The Mezzo design also makes the handlepost telescoping part parallel with the seatpost, so effective top tube length stays same as both go up. With the typical bifold design like Dahon and Zizzo, the seatpost and handlepost diverge, so as both go up for height, the effective top tube length increases accordingly, proportional to rider height.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-14-24 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-14-24, 07:15 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch

Just me, but I think the handlepost and stem design is silly, and heavy. Note that the bottom stem projects far forward, then the top stem is tilted back, to put the handlebars almost directly above the top of the fork steer tube. That's the long way around (with more weight) to achieve the same result as a typical bifold (Dahon, Zizzo, et al) handlepost that just goes vertical from the steer tube (direct path) for the same result. Bike Friday uses a long post tilted aft in line with the steer tube, then attaches a typical stem on top to put the handlebars more forward, again, same result. The BF has the advantage to adjust stem reach and can mount a suspension stem, but the further aft handlepost is easier to hit with your knees when climbing standing.

The Mezzo design also makes the handlepost telescoping part parallel with the seatpost, so effective top tube length stays same as both go up. With the typical bifold design like Dahon and Zizzo, the seatpost and handlepost diverge, so as both go up for height, the effective top tube length increases accordingly, proportional to rider height.
#1 you truly have to comment in every...single...thread...

#2 if you don't have something good to say, or actually something useful to add to the thread, why comment in the first place? Especially since the OP likes this bike. Is there a recall? Dear lord...

Last edited by tds101; 05-14-24 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 12:42 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by tds101
#1 you truly have to comment in every...single...thread...

#2 if you don't have something good to say, or actually something useful to add to the thread, why comment in the first place? Especially since the OP likes this bike. Is there a recall? Dear lord...
Uh... the OP was asking opinions on the Mezzo *before buying*. One would think they want to hear all, good and bad. Otherwise they wouldn't ask.

If you think my observations about the design are wrong, you have the podium...

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-15-24 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-15-24, 04:30 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 610 Posts
Uh... the OP was asking opinions on the Mezzo *before buying*. One would think they want to hear all, good and bad. Otherwise they wouldn't ask.

If you think my observations about the design are wrong, you have the podium...
You're not an owner, so your "opinions" are irrelevant.

The design is tried and true, and the bike has multiple owners who actually love it. SEARCH THE FOLDING BIKE SECTION AND SEE WHAT ACTUAL OWNERS THINK ABOUT IT. You're not a bike developer, you don't OWN IT, and unless you own one, your opinion is just that, an "opinion". Can you answer the question about the front fork?

Have a great day...

Last edited by tds101; 05-15-24 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-15-24, 05:02 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 218 Posts
The baseline of the ORI design is to have a single piece frame without the center hinge of the bifold design which is a known weak point of the bifold design.

To reduce the folded length, the frame of the ORI is relatively short (with a single piece frame, the main frame length more or less define the folded length).

One point to check before buying an ORI is if the bike size fits for the cyclist height because ORI doesn't fit well for tall cyclists.
Old 05-15-24, 05:42 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Jipe
One point to check before buying an ORI is if the bike size fits for the cyclist height because ORI doesn't fit well for tall cyclists.
That's what I'm saying. I'm not a flag-waver for the big brands, but diverging seatpost and handlepost, for a bike that adjusts to a wide height range, was pretty smart. Wish I'd've thought of it.

The one-piece monobeam frame is simple and stiff, but due to its short length for compactness, I think that is the rationale of the horizontal stem projecting far forward, then handlepost up and back; I think they need that for knee clearance when climbing out of the saddle, versus a straight vertical handlepost that far back. The very slack head tube angle helps project the front wheel out further to restore some wheelbase lost to the short frame.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-15-24 at 05:59 AM.