Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1991) Clark-Kent AX-1 (Alexi Grewal)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 09:45 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 3,568 Times in 1,016 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 05-14-24, 11:34 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,612 Posts
The curved seat tube seems to be the best way to shorten the chain stays. Other arrangements, like the split seat tube that is seen on the Rigi, appear to have bigger issues (such as mounting a front derailleur to that split seat tube). Whether or not the short chain stays are actually beneficial is a separate discussion, though.

I did see a Clark-Kent track frame at Billy Goat Cycles in St. Louis with that curved seat tube....

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-14-24, 12:26 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked 2,617 Times in 1,090 Posts
Chain stays that short would give Grant Petersen the vapors.

Okay, not really - he'd say that if it works for you and the kind of riding (i.e., racing) you want to do, then go for it, but it makes no sense for what most riders want from a bike (and he'd be right).
Old 05-14-24, 06:43 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
I bet not many people can relate to this story, but boy, I sure can !!! I'm about the same height and build as Alexi and I too have found that "traditional" cycling positioning was all wrong for me. This article pretty much articulates what I've been experiencing in moving much forward. I've adapted my frames further by using 150mm cranks, but still I need frames with steeper seat tubes. Not 78d, but more than the usual 72-73 put on large frames. I wouldn't use chainstays quite that short either.

Speaking of Rivendell, yeah, I have Bombadil that I've not ridden much lately as it doesn't lend itself well to the direction I'm going. It's a decidedly "traditional setback" kind of frame. The good news is at least now I know what direction my next Franklin custom will be. I'm definitely not in the "most riders" category ! Hence, I love me some racing frames, I love me some long, low drop bar bikes with steep-er STA's. I love me some road cycle clothing. Whoever said riding "upright" is "good" for you ?
Likes For Garthr:
Old 05-15-24, 01:58 AM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 177 Posts
Great review, thanks for posting it. I must have read most of Bicycle Guide’s reviews of the late 80s and early 90s several times over.

The CK AX-1 really seems to me ahead of its time now, with Niki Terpstra and others (often bigger/taller flatland domestiques) in the last ten years sliding saddles forward on zero offset posts as far as the UCI would allow, while maximising saddle to bar drop. Nowadays achieved within the constraints of production frames with fixed geometries, whereas the CK with its long front centre and slack head angle far more bespoke, but otherwise similar in concept and intent.
Old 05-15-24, 04:15 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 672 Posts
Very interesting bike and thanks for sharing the article