Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bar End Shifter Inquiry...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 01:26 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts

Hey all. I have a bar end shifter question. Can I use a shifter designated as a "10-speed shifter" in friction mode with either a 9-speed or 11-speed cassette? I'm building a TT bike and I want to place a 10 cassette on it, but I may go 9.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-24, 02:45 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Hey all. I have a bar end shifter question. Can I use a shifter designated as a "10-speed shifter" in friction mode with either a 9-speed or 11-speed cassette? I'm building a TT bike and I want to place a 10 cassette on it, but I may go 9.

Thanks!
If you're referring to the Shimano SL-BS78, the right shifter will have 'friction' marked on the ring next to the 'D' handle. This will convert to friction mode.

The Shimano SL-BS79 is index only, IIRC.
Old 05-14-24, 02:51 PM
ArgoMan

Yes, thank you. I have a bar end that can use both index and friction. As I understand it, if I use the shifter in index mode, it must correlate to the numver of cogs in my RD. So, if my shifter is designated as a "10 speed shifter", than I can only use an RD with 10 cogs. That my understanding.

My inquiry is whether I can I use that same "10 speed" shifter in friction mode only for 9 and 11 cog RD's? Thanks!
Old 05-14-24, 03:08 PM
KCT1986

Yes, thank you. I have a bar end that can use both index and friction. As I understand it, if I use the shifter in index mode, it must correlate to the numver of cogs in my RD. So, if my shifter is designated as a "10 speed shifter", than I can only use an RD with 10 cogs. That my understanding.

My inquiry is whether I can I use that same "10 speed" shifter in friction mode only for 9 and 11 cog RD's? Thanks!
In friction mode you can use any # of sprockets and any RD. The RD just moves based on the amount of cable pull it receives. The issue is that with higher # of speeds, the sprockets are closer together so you'll need more 'feel' to get it right (assuming you use a common pre-11 speed ratio RD). A Shimano 11 speed RD moves less per mm of cable pull so less "feel' is needed, but the total 'throw' to cover the whole cassette width is larger.
Old 05-14-24, 03:41 PM
ArgoMan

Thanks KCT. So my theory is that if I use a bar end in friction, I'm probably not going to want a RD with more than 10 cogs. The reason is as you point out: the cogs are closer together and your really have to "feel" the shift through. More room for a mis-shift or rubbing. I train on a TT set up that uses a 9-cassette and a Sora RD. It works very well. And honestly, I'm not taking on any mountains, so why would I need an 11 or 12 speed set up? I recall racing around like a nut back in '84 on my Schwinn 10-speed. I really have no need for a 24 speed!

But I may want a 10 cassette, as I may go to a 1x10 set up.
Old 05-14-24, 05:05 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 829 Posts
With the bar ends in friction mode, switching betweendifferent speed cassettes is easy and fast. I use 6400 levers in friction with a 12 speed cassette, 11-34, and 6500 derailleurs front and rear. Rings are 46-34. It is a short lever throw for the 12 speeds, but once I got used to it, shifting is very good. I have run 8 thru 12 speed cassettes of various sizes with little or no adjustment necessary, other than chain speeds and link number.
I could go to 10 speed indexed easy enough, I have the components on hand, but like the versatility and low maintenance of the bar ends.
This all on a Poprad that is my multi-use bike.
And I had a different bike withe same set up, but 1X with 44 and 11-36

Last edited by delbiker1; 05-14-24 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-14-24, 05:11 PM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by delbiker1
With the bar ends in friction mode, switching betweendifferent speed cassettes is easy and fast. I use 6400 levers in friction with a 12 speed cassette, 11-34, and 6500 derailleurs front and rear. Rings are 46-34. It is a short lever throw for the 12 speeds, but once I got used to it, shifting is very good. I have run 8 thru 12 speed cassettes of various sizes with little or no adjustment necessary, other than chain speeds and link number.
I could go to 10 speed indexed easy enough, I have the components on hand, but like the versatility and low maintenance of the bar ends.
This all on a Poprad that is my multi-use bike.
Thanks delbiker! So, do you think I'm making a big nothing burger out of not wanting to go larger than a 10-cassette? I have access to a 10-speed shifter that I can keep in friction and use on an 11. I just hate having to do micro-adjustments so as to avoid any cog-rub.
Old 05-14-24, 07:44 PM
ArgoMan

Okay, getting lots of good info here. Just checked my little "stash" of parts and found that I have a brand new Dura Ace bar end shifter for the FD. Just need a shifter for the RD. Like I said, I'm partial to a 10-cassette, but willing to take advice and move to an 11. With that said, I have an opportunity to get another Dura Ace for the RD, marketed as a 9-speed shifter, or a Microshift 10-speed. Which one is more desirable, if there is an appreciable distinction? Again, I'll be using friction. Thank you!
Old 05-14-24, 10:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18553 Post(s)
Liked 15,955 Times in 7,493 Posts
I am about to replace the bar ends on my touring bike. I have DA now. I have read great things about Microshift. I’m going to go with them if the LBS I have a $200 gift certificate for can get them.
Old 05-14-24, 10:40 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4580 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,133 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/39502542898...RoCpY0QAvD_BwE
Old 05-19-24, 07:44 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 794 Posts
Thanks KCT. So my theory is that if I use a bar end in friction, I'm probably not going to want a RD with more than 10 cogs. The reason is as you point out: the cogs are closer together and your really have to "feel" the shift through. More room for a mis-shift or rubbing. I train on a TT set up that uses a 9-cassette and a Sora RD. It works very well. And honestly, I'm not taking on any mountains, so why would I need an 11 or 12 speed set up? I recall racing around like a nut back in '84 on my Schwinn 10-speed. I really have no need for a 24 speed!

But I may want a 10 cassette, as I may go to a 1x10 set up.
I tried friction shifting (DT, not bar end) with a 9 speed bike and it was too fussy for my liking. And I friction shifted 5-8 speeds for many, many years.
Old 05-19-24, 11:06 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 502 Posts
Given the choice between dura ace and microshift bar ends, I’d go with dura ace. The microshift are ok, but develop slop after awhile that makes the indexing not so crisp compared to the DA. If you plan to just use friction mode, I wouldn’t sweat the difference much.
Old 05-20-24, 02:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18553 Post(s)
Liked 15,955 Times in 7,493 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Given the choice between dura ace and microshift bar ends, I’d go with dura ace. The microshift are ok, but develop slop after awhile that makes the indexing not so crisp compared to the DA. If you plan to just use friction mode, I wouldn’t sweat the difference much.
Thanks. I was looking at prices for the DA 9-speed bar ends last night. Not as expensive as I thought, so I’m going to stick with them. They are what I have been used to for over a decade, and they have held up reasonably well despite being subjected to tough conditions while touring.
Old 05-20-24, 02:26 PM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thanks. I was looking at prices for the DA 9-speed bar ends last night. Not as expensive as I thought, so I’m going to stick with them. They are what I have been used to for over a decade, and they have held up reasonably well despite being subjected to tough conditions while touring.
Yes, I have DA on my main TT training bike and it works really well with a 9-speed cassette, in friction mode. The set of shifters was really reasonably priced also, new. They'll likely outlast me, so a good investment. It's just that they are 9-speed shifters and I'm building a bike with a 10-speed cassette. But it's my understanding that I can use the 9-speed DA in friction for the 10 speeds.
Old 05-20-24, 10:38 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked 1,721 Times in 995 Posts
Yes, I have DA on my main TT training bike and it works really well with a 9-speed cassette, in friction mode. The set of shifters was really reasonably priced also, new. They'll likely outlast me, so a good investment. It's just that they are 9-speed shifters and I'm building a bike with a 10-speed cassette. But it's my understanding that I can use the 9-speed DA in friction for the 10 speeds.
Since a 10 speed cassette is no wider than a 9 speed cassette, this is true. It is my understanding that Shimano 10 speed bar end shifters do not have a friction mode
Old 05-21-24, 11:37 AM
KCT1986

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Since a 10 speed cassette is no wider than a 9 speed cassette, this is true. It is my understanding that Shimano 10 speed bar end shifters do not have a friction mode
Shimano had 2 models of 10 sp barends, SL-BS78 has friction, BS79 is index only. The 11 speed is also index only.
Likes For KCT1986: