Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brand new Woom 3 bike ?Hub problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-24, 03:31 AM
kiwijunglist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hi

Just got this brand new woom 3 delivered to New Zealand from the Neatherlands via Bikeinn.

I notice the rear hub is noisy and it's more "grippy" in that the pedals are much more likely to spin.

Also the chain has a bit more of a clank when you rock the pedals back and forth (I think this is separate issue. maybe chain slightly loose).

Please see video (The yellow bike is the new bike and the blue bike is our older bike

Can anyone give advice as to what is wrong with this brand new bike?

Also the rear wheel is not completely "true" when it spins.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by kiwijunglist; 05-16-24 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-16-24, 05:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,929 Posts
Warranty? First step would be take it to the shop.
Old 05-16-24, 05:49 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 974 Posts
The video link doesn't show. So, I'm just guessing.

I had to look this bike up. It claims to have a freehub and sealed bearings. My guess is that the bearing adjustment is too tight and/or if there is a genuine rubber seal to really effectively keep the weather out of the bearings like an adult bike that the seals are tight enough to drag the super tiny drivetrain along when you are walking the bike along.

Any bike shop can do a bearing adjustment. It's super common for all new bikes direct from the factory to require this. The factory worker has neither the time nor inclination to do it right when he's expected to churn out hundreds of hubs a shift. Especially when there is a bike assembler between the company and the customer. It goes with the territory. This is what you are trading away when you go mail order. Go to a local bike shop. Perhaps they'll install the absent grease, too.
Old 05-16-24, 06:30 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 523 Posts
Sounds like a stiff freewheel. You could lubricate it or see if it gets quieter with some use.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-16-24, 07:26 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Warranty? First step would be take it to the shop.
Bhahah…. That’s a REALLY long trip.
About 11,000 miles

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-16-24, 07:33 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked 1,890 Times in 1,092 Posts
Single-speed or two-speed?
Old 05-16-24, 08:01 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,804 Posts
What did Woom say about this? If BikeInn is an authorized dealer of Woom then they might be able to help with warranty as they sold it to you. It might also be the bike needs to be properly built and tuned which doesn't happen at any point before getting to you from being bought online (sometimes in rare instances a company will send a bike that is tuned but not common). From a shop they will build it and tune it before it ever gets to you but from online in a box it won't generally be touched at the factory beyond a quick assembly and then quick disassembly to get it into the box.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-16-24, 03:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Barry2
Bhahah…. That’s a REALLY long trip.
About 11,000 miles

Barry
Must have seemed reasonable to OP at the time.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-16-24, 05:12 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 254 Posts
My search shows a SS kids bike for pre-school age. With chain case, rim brakes and bungie fork.
Will need to adjust every nut and bolt on that, often likely.
Old 05-16-24, 05:31 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
its single speed hub.

bikeinn is an authorized seller

awaiting reply from both bikeinn and woom.
Old 05-16-24, 08:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Hopefully they can get it sorted for you.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-16-24, 08:28 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
here are the videos that i didn't have access to post before:

Old 05-16-24, 11:45 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
The video link doesn't show. So, I'm just guessing.

I had to look this bike up. It claims to have a freehub and sealed bearings. My guess is that the bearing adjustment is too tight and/or if there is a genuine rubber seal to really effectively keep the weather out of the bearings like an adult bike that the seals are tight enough to drag the super tiny drivetrain along when you are walking the bike along.

Any bike shop can do a bearing adjustment. It's super common for all new bikes direct from the factory to require this. The factory worker has neither the time nor inclination to do it right when he's expected to churn out hundreds of hubs a shift. Especially when there is a bike assembler between the company and the customer. It goes with the territory. This is what you are trading away when you go mail order. Go to a local bike shop. Perhaps they'll install the absent grease, too.
sorry i didn't have access to post the link. i have updated the post with video of the issue.
Old 05-17-24, 07:30 AM
GamblerGORD53

Loose chain.
Old 05-17-24, 11:22 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by kiwijunglist
here are the videos that i didn't have access to post before:
Loose chain knocking against the plastic chain guard, needs adjusting. The freewheel sound is normal, probably amplified by the chain guard. The slight freewheel drag will probably clear up with use.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 05-17-24, 04:51 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Loose chain knocking against the plastic chain guard, needs adjusting. The freewheel sound is normal, probably amplified by the chain guard. The slight freewheel drag will probably clear up with use.
I hope it does clear up, and i do think the chain is probably a little loose.

I was surprised that woom come back to me that everything is fine after sharing the videos, although when i watch their video on adjusting chain length the rattles sound a lot like their video on incorrectly set chain tension and how to adjust.

Originally Posted by woom support
Thank you for reaching out to us!
​​​​​​​At the beginning, the freewheel is often very smooth-running. That is also a sign for the quality and ease of operation of the drive system. It may also be the case that the crank rotates when the wheel is pushed. This is because there is less friction in the bottom bracket than in the freewheel. As a result, the rear wheel moves the chain via the friction in the freewheel, causing the free-moving crank to start moving too.Don't worry, though, as the force of the friction tends to be minimal anyway. You wouldn't even be able to see this effect if the bottom bracket didn't run so smoothly. It would be a defect, if the crank still rotates while coasting with feet on the pedals. But if you have any further questions, feel free to reach out anytime!
Old 05-17-24, 04:59 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,012 Posts
What difference is there between the 2 bikes? That could explain why they do not exhibit the same behaviour
If one has a simple freewheel and the other has a multi speed hub, you have your explanation
Old 05-17-24, 06:00 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
they are same bikes just 14 vs 16 inch one is old and one is new. both single speed freewheel hub.

I've sent a further video to woom it's a little frustrating.

In the interim i will buy a set of hex keys and try adjusting the rear wheel.

there is a slightly bigger gap on the brake pad on one side of the rear wheel too, and if i backed the rear wheel on the chain side a few mm back that would be corrected too.

quite disappointing. if i can't get resolution with woom i may need to take to the local bike shop to and pay them to sort out the issues. shipping the bike back overseas is going to cost a fortune. its disappointing that an expensive bike comes with this issues and I'm left sorting them out. unfortunately there is no local option for a higher end kids bike nz with a freewheel rear hub (we only have coaster brakes).
Old 05-17-24, 11:20 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
really disappointed again with this bike. I bought some brand new hex key set and I've discovered that one of the hex bolts for the rear wheel was stripped in the factory, which might explain why the rear wheel is not set up properly. Its a 4mm hex.
Old 05-18-24, 07:54 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 383 Posts
really disappointed again with this bike. I bought some brand new hex key set and I've discovered that one of the hex bolts for the rear wheel was stripped in the factory, which might explain why the rear wheel is not set up properly. Its a 4mm hex.
Thread stripped or head rounded? They look like regular M5x0.8 stainless screws as used for mudguards and bottle cages. You should loosen both sides and slide the wheel back while centring it between the stays. Tighten the adjustable dropouts and check there is a small amount of slack in the chain while turning the crank a few times. If the brake is not centred you then adjust it to the wheel, rather than adjusting the wheel to the brake. These are all things that are normally done by the dealer before handing over to the customer, but you may have to pay your LBS to sort out. Online/international purchases are really useful in some ways, in others not so much.
Old 05-18-24, 08:31 AM
kiwijunglist

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
hex head rounded off (not thread stripped).
Old 05-18-24, 03:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,804 Posts
hex head rounded off (not thread stripped).
If you didn't touch it prior to this point and it was shipped in a box, that would be a good thing to send pictures of to Woom so they can send you a credit for a new bolt and to pay a mechanic to fix it. You can also try a Torx wrench sometimes that will allow you to remove it and then just check the specs of the bolt and order a good quality stainless steel bolt and use good quality hex wrenches to install the new one (with the proper grease, anti-seize or thread locking compound as needed) and then you have a little extra in your pocket if you don't want to pay a shop to remove the bolt.
Old 05-22-24, 09:02 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

The hex bolts are really rounded off, I think they have had trouble getting the wheel setup correctly.

After a dozen emails with woom EU they now want me to start again with woom US, the bike is purchased from EU retailer (Bikeinn) and came from EU, but because I am from New Zealand, they now want me to deal with woom USA (Woom USA doesn't deliver to NZ).

Not having much like with Bikein either, they have asked me to send them videos again (which they already had links to).

Have asked woom EU to escalate to a manger. I;m getting close to 30 days now, I might have to look at whether I can do a charge back or something.

I really just expected that they would tell me to take the bike to a local shop to diagnose and then they would either repair or replace, instead of back and forward emailing
Old 05-23-24, 09:17 AM
GamblerGORD53

They look like cheap bolts. Just unscrew the good bolt. Use vice grips for the other bolt.
Go to a hardware store and get 6 or 8 of them and replace all of them. Done.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 05-24-24, 12:28 AM
kiwijunglist

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think bikeinn need to stand by their product which is new and shouldn't arrive with faults.

I've sent them the following email today

Urgent: Resolution Required for Faulty Woom3 Bike (Order # xxxxxx)

Dear Tradeinn Customer Service,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to urgently address the ongoing issue with the Woom3 bike I purchased on May 3, 2024 (Order Number: xxxxxx).

Despite multiple attempts to resolve this matter, I have yet to receive a satisfactory response. Here is a summary of my efforts and the issues encountered:
  1. Initial Contact and Return Request: Filed on May 16, 2024, including photos and YouTube video links documenting the faults.
  2. Follow-Up: Filed another return request on May 21, 2024, as the original request seemed to have disappeared from your system.
  3. Two Emails with Videos Attached: Sent on May 23, 2024, as requested by your team.
To date, I have not received a resolution, despite waiting for over 8 days. The bike has the following issues:
  1. Loose and Rattly Chain
  2. Noisy Freewheel Hub
  3. Misaligned Rear Wheel
  4. Rounded-Off Hex Bolts
  5. Missing 14mm Wrench and Hex Key (which should have been included)
  6. Missing Manual (which should also have been included)
Summary of Correspondence with Woom EU: I have been in contact with Woom EU regarding these issues. They acknowledged that while some noise from the freewheel hub and chain looseness can occur, the extent of these issues, along with the other problems, suggests a more significant fault. They advised tightening the chain and confirmed that the bike should not have been missing tools or a manual. Woom EU has recommended that I pursue a resolution through the retailer (Tradeinn), as they cannot assist me directly due to my location.

To resolve this issue, I request one of the following actions:
  • A full refund, including any shipping costs incurred.
  • Alternatively, a replacement bike, ensuring it is thoroughly inspected for quality assurance before shipment.
  • Reimbursement for local repair costs, should you prefer that I take the bike to a local mechanic for diagnosis and repair.
Given the unresolved status, I wish to formally advise that my next step will be to initiate a chargeback on my credit card. I will retain the bike and its packaging for a possible return.

I await your prompt response.

Yours sincerely,

Last edited by kiwijunglist; 05-24-24 at 12:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.