Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wanted - New Hole In The Head

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wanted - New Hole In The Head

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 07:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10583 Post(s)
Liked 12,186 Times in 6,243 Posts
Anticipation....
Anticipa-ya-tion!

I got out the 7410 bits and laid them out, anticipating the arrival of the frame tomorrow "between 10:30 and 3:30".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-16-24, 06:47 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3625 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,843 Posts
Purty.
Old 05-16-24, 01:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

The frame is "Out For Delivery".

I am trying to be prudent and responsible in buying bits I need, or think I need. For example, I'm 95% certain I need to buy a 31.8mm adapter to use the 7410 FD I already have, and I've checked them out on Ebay, but I haven't pulled the trigger. Same for pedals, though there I know for sure I'll need some.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-16-24, 02:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

FedEx sez package delivered. Mrs. GJ confirms. Still have hours more work to do.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-16-24, 07:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The frame has arrived, and I am very pleased! I read things here on BF about LeMond paint in that era being fragile and prone to chipping, but I'm damned if I can find any chips! There are some rubs, but even the "danger spots" where the STI cables often rub the headtube raw look fine. No chips under the downtube, no chips or wearthroughs on the chainstays, no gouges from chainsuck. I don't think I need the Scratch-X!

I put the headset together, so later tonight I can measure it all up and determine what length stem etc. I need. I've got a bunch of 130mm, which MIGHT fit, but I can't tell yet. I'll need to put a couple tires on these wheels - these aren't the final wheels, which are currently on the Ritchey.

It even came with bottle cages!!!

Old 05-16-24, 07:34 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 93 Posts
Very nice!!
Old 05-17-24, 12:04 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I love the minutiae of a new project, like just last night I discovered that LeMond 853 frames have 31.8mm OD seat tubes and no FD braze-ons, and Shimano didn't make the FD-7410 in 31.8mm clamp-on. I thought about buying a 31.8mm FD-7700, but didn't. Then I thought, "Maybe Shimano made an adapter that will let me use the braze-on FD-7410 I bought for the Litespeed's second iteration?" and sure enough, they do.

Problem solved!
I assume you've already ordered this adapter, but since I couldn't locate it in your parts photo I thought I'd offer: I have one, I don't need it, and I'm in San Francisco so not far from you. I'd be happy to drop it in the mail.
Likes For nathand:
Old 05-17-24, 01:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by nathand
I assume you've already ordered this adapter, but since I couldn't locate it in your parts photo I thought I'd offer: I have one, I don't need it, and I'm in San Francisco so not far from you. I'd be happy to drop it in the mail.
That's very generous! But I'd already placed the order....

Old 05-17-24, 06:24 AM
smd4

It even came with bottle cages!!!
Beautiful frame! You scored.

But get new bottle cages; the way those are constructed will only tear up your bottles.
Old 05-17-24, 07:01 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,987 Times in 1,835 Posts
Nice. I was going to suggest a Trek Y-foil just to be ornery, but this looks like it'll build up into a much prettier bike.

Old 05-17-24, 01:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Since I had put the headset and fork on, I borrowed a set of wheels with tires on them to do some measurements and work out things like what length of stem I'll need. If I measured and calculated right, I need about a 120 or 130mm stem. As it happens, I have 3 130 stems I can use, so I have to decide which one:

3TTT Synthesis: Beautiful 80s/90s stem, classic -17 degree. I remember, though, that it felt a bit flexy when really honking on it.

Cinelli 1A: This is more a 70s/80s stem, again -17 degrees. It's actually 135mm, which might rule it out.

Ritchey WCS: Definitely mid-90s. TIG welded steel, 0 degree rise. It came on my Road Logic in 1997 - another TIG welded steel bike with Dura Ace (this is where the STIs and RD come from). It would lend it a less traditional look, and maybe that's what I'm going for?

I'll mock up the bike with each, measure, and look at it, and decide.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-18-24, 12:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Handlebar/Stem Mockups!

First, 3TTT Synthesis:

Next, Ritchey WCS:

Old 05-18-24, 01:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Aw, crap! I didn't adjust the HB to the same angle. Still, you get the basic idea.

Definitely different! Also, the angle of the Ritchey raises the bar ~1cm, even though less of the neck of the stem is exposed. It's definitely a more modern look. I'll have to spend some time later and do more measurements, and see which one gets the LeMond's contact points closer to my standard, the Litespeed.

EDIT: The Ritchey also adds a touch more extension, even though both are 130mm, because it's 0 degrees vs the -17 of the 3TTT

Old 05-18-24, 01:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I'm also thinking about that bar - it's double grooved for Ergopower levers, but without a second cable, the shape will be odd. Hmmmmmm......

Old 05-24-24, 08:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Current Status:
  • All the pieces but 2 have been obtained!!! The last two bits are the cable stops for the downtube shifter mounts. I wanted the Dura Ace ones with the adjusting lever. They should be here tomorrow!
  • New cable and housing kits arrived last night. I went for Jagwire Pro in gray. It's the same color as the old Dura Ace housing, but better quality.
  • The HP-7410 headset arrived! It's Shimano's first cartridge unit, I believe. I have been dawdling about getting headset tools.
  • I got the tool to remove the old BB-UN72 bottom bracket and install the BB-7410. It's also one of the first cartridge units. there's a bit of surface rust in the BB shell, but nothing that doesn't wipe out with a paper towel. I test-threaded both cups into the shell and 1) once properly engaged they went in easily but 2) I can see how a ham-handed amateur could cross thread them. Lesson learned!
Aw crap! I need to get some bar tape!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-29-24, 12:35 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Almost ready to build!!

The above is all ready to receive the below....

After a lot of pounding, the head tube is ready for the new headset.

And here it is!

The ONE THING that still needs to be removed is the fork crown race. I'm still waiting on that tool..

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-29-24, 06:59 AM
smd4

The ONE THING that still needs to be removed is the fork crown race. I'm still waiting on that tool..
Just use a punch.
Old 05-29-24, 04:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by smd4
Just use a punch.
The Tange Seiki headset I'm taking off is in such great shape, I might keep it to reuse elsewhere. Or sell. Or give it to a bike coop. I don't want to damage it. And the tool should be here on Saturday.

I made a some rules for myself on this build -
  • Use 7410 Dura Ace for everything, except the seatpost (I need a zero setback for the LeMond)
  • Do ALL the work myself.
  • Use the right tools
  • Don't start rebuilding till all the old parts are off (so even though the BB shell is empty and the BB is sitting right there on the table, don't install it till the fork crown race is off, the frame has been washed and waxed, and all the parts and tools are in hand).