Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy Freehub Interchangeability

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 10:56 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 97 Posts

I found a set of Campagnolo wheels with a 9/10/11/12 speed freehub.

Is there a way to change the freehub to a shimano spline format?

I know there is a thread on BF about this, but it is 15 years old.

Also, is there an available reference to Campy standards (maybe starting with freehubs to current stuff) somewhere?

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-17-24 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-17-24, 05:21 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical

Also, is there an available reference to Campy standards (maybe starting with freehubs to current stuff) somewhere?
depends on the wheel I think. Some Campag wheels (Zondas certainly) are available with Campag or Shimano HG freehub bodies, and these wheels can be converted to HG
Old 05-17-24, 05:24 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Originally Posted by 13ollocks
depends on the wheel I think. Some Campag wheels (Zondas certainly) are available with Campag or Shimano HG freehub bodies, and these wheels can be converted to HG
This compatibility stuff is driving this old school Campy guy nuts (well, nuttier than I already was).

Sometimes I get to thinking there is a compatibility team in these companies that ensures minimal compatibility across years and brands......
Old 05-17-24, 05:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5933 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
depends on the wheel I think. ...
+1

Campy offered many of their wheels in Shimano versions, so freehub rotors exist for most wheels.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-17-24, 06:41 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1

Campy offered many of their wheels in Shimano versions, so freehub rotors exist for most wheels.
Any hints on how to find one? The right one (A google search turns up a number of them, some even sold on Amazon, but......)?

My hub is an Athena 9-speed.

Also, does Campagnolo have a web based compatibility chart like Shimano?

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-17-24 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-17-24, 07:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5933 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,580 Posts
I just did a quick search for Shimano freehub for Fulcrum and brought up a few, plus it also linked a search for same on Campy.

So finding some is easy. That said, knowing interchanges for specific models is trickier.

AFAIK (remember) they never made one for Athena hubs, but there's a chance that one made for one of the wheels may fit.

Try calling or emailing Campy USA and they might know which, if any, will fit.

Another option might be spacing a Campy cassette for Shimano.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-21-24, 01:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,495 Posts
For about two years, I mixed components: Shimano shifters, and derailleurs with Campagnolo wheel and cassette. It did not work perfectly: on some shifts, I had to click twice. But it didn't make that grinding noise that came from being "between" gears on a friction system, so I didn't mind much. This may not satisfy you, but I thought I would mention it.

@FBinNY mentions spacing the cassette yourself. That sounds tricky, as you have to measure the spacers and cogs precisely, but I knew one person who succeeded at doing it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-21-24, 02:29 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by noglider
For about two years, I mixed components: Shimano shifters, and derailleurs with Campagnolo wheel and cassette. It did not work perfectly: on some shifts, I had to click twice. But it didn't make that grinding noise that came from being "between" gears on a friction system, so I didn't mind much. This may not satisfy you, but I thought I would mention it.

@FBinNY mentions spacing the cassette yourself. That sounds tricky, as you have to measure the spacers and cogs precisely, but I knew one person who succeeded at doing it.
I have the ability to do such a thing, but where would I find the technical data to know the proper spacing?
Old 05-21-24, 03:56 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 50 Posts
Try searching the word "shimergo" and you'll go down the rabbit hole of mixing Shimano and Campy. I had 2 bikes successfully working with such a setup (9 and 10 spd) but I believe the effort to get them working properly is too much, especially now that you can get cheap shifters from the likes of Sensah, Microshift or LTwoo to get older 7,8,9 or 10 spd bikes upgraded to modern shifting.
Old 05-21-24, 06:24 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 155 Posts

Most Campag and Fulcrum wheels since 2007 can be converted to HG with the FH-BO015X1 freehub if they have a cutout alloy axle. If it doesn't have the cutout axle you will need one, FH-BO001. At this point it is probably less expensive to get some new wheels. Some of the newer wheels will require a different freehub, they are listed in the Campag spare parts catalogs https://support.campagnolo.com/media...rt_C_Rev00.pdf
Likes For RGMN:
Old 05-21-24, 07:52 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by RGMN
Most Campag and Fulcrum wheels since 2007 can be converted to HG with the FH-BO015X1 freehub if they have a cutout alloy axle. If it doesn't have the cutout axle you will need one, FH-BO001. At this point it is probably less expensive to get some new wheels. Some of the newer wheels will require a different freehub, they are listed in the Campag spare parts catalogs https://support.campagnolo.com/media...rt_C_Rev00.pdf
That’s great, thanks!

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-21-24 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-22-24, 06:05 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 150 Posts
If it really is an Athena hub there's no way to exchange cassette bodies.
Old 05-22-24, 07:31 AM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by Mackers
Thanks. How do I identify it (and other Campy hubs)?
Old 05-22-24, 06:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,495 Posts
I have the ability to do such a thing, but where would I find the technical data to know the proper spacing?
I googled "cassette spacing shimano" and one wonderful hit was https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-22-24, 08:47 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
Thanks. How do I identify it (and other Campy hubs)?
Unfortunately if it is Athena there isn't much that can be upgraded. You often can look at the Campag Spare parts catalogs to figure out what you have. Go to https://www.campagnolo.com and select "Assistance" in the upper right corner. On the pop-up menu select documentation, then under document type select Spare parts catalogue. Hubs are typically in part B.