Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do Any Of You Use Kneesavers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do Any Of You Use Kneesavers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 08:34 PM
Paul_P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
When I first tried clipless I drilled holes in my shoes to move the cleat to the inside.
That was what got into looking at extenders. I bought clipless for the first time and couldn't move my foot over enough to where it wanted to be.

When I was researching extenders I found there were a lot of hollow ones that apparently can break.
Better solid, but some worry about the weight.
Old 05-17-24, 08:44 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8400 Post(s)
Liked 9,316 Times in 4,572 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
When I was researching extenders I found there were a lot of hollow ones that apparently can break.
Better solid, but some worry about the weight.
I've heard the hollow ones will allow the use of an 8mm Allen to tighten or loosen the pedal but I haven't tried them. Seems like it's taking away too much of the strength.
Old 05-18-24, 12:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,784 Times in 2,576 Posts
My right knee is catawampus, so I probably could benefit from an extender on that side. Never tried it, although I asked the LBS about them. Most of my drive side cranks have wear from my ankle, depending on how they taper from the pedal to the bb. Left leg is perfectly normal, so I would have to get two sets of pedals if I went with different length pedal axles.
Old 05-18-24, 04:05 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked 1,548 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yes, I was going to say the same. I’m not sensitive to Q-factor, but I hate rubbing crank arms. The +4 mm Shimano pedals are enough for me. With the standard pedals I have to offset my cleats to the max.
Me too. The GRX crank (on my gravel bike) has a larger Q-factor (than those on my road bikes), but even with the XT pedals having the longer (55 mm) spindles, I still need to both slide and rotate my cleat inward relative to my shoe to allow the necessary amount of toe out.
Old 05-22-24, 10:04 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Rick - I dont need to remind you that as you get older these little adjustments make a world of difference. I added a 2mm spacer to my right pedal to get a more comfortable alignment on my crank. Just 2mm, Ha! Due to my arthritis I have to be very careful of the dimensions and layout of my bikes. And thats just just for my little local poser rides!

Find those sweet spots where ever they may be. We do what we have to do, to keep ridding...
Was the 2mm accomplished with washers between pedal and crank?
Old 05-22-24, 06:34 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 1,084 Posts
Yes. I used hardened washers with an abrasive finish. If I had needed more then 2mm I would have used another method. I just find it odd that 2mm made such a difference. I attribute that due to my Osteoarthritis.
Old 05-23-24, 12:59 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 878 Posts
My feet pronate (front angled out) quite a bit. In the days of leather shoes and nail-on cleats it wasn't an issue, as I'd just nail the cleat toward the inside at a comfortable angle determined by prior riding just enough for my ankles to clear the crankarms.

I mentioned in another thread how a brief use of Avocet touring shoes in the early 1980s almost wrecked my knees. The slots in the sole force a straight-ahead foot position, which wrought havoc on my joints. Sold them at a steep loss and learned my lesson.

When I moved to SPDs and their wide angle adjustment but near-zero lateral adjustment, ankle strikes to the point of pain were my lot, even with "low Q" cranks. I heard about SCOR's product, bought KneeSavers for all my clip-in bikes, and instantly solved the problem. As the number of bikes grew, I also started using the Amazon knockoffs with no major problems.

So yes, a satisfied user.