Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I Just an Angry Loner?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Am I Just an Angry Loner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-24, 04:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7162 Post(s)
Liked 11,365 Times in 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
Freedom, solitude and achieving goals through self-discipline don't mesh well with group dynamics. I want to take a turn when I want, go the speed I want and hop onto a sidewalk if I think it's safer. Can you imagine Rocky in a group training run with Eye of the Tiger blasting? How about Batman achieving the fortitude in group sessions to escape The Pit or Luke Skywalker in daily Force Strengthening classes? Nope Nope and Nope.
Have you ever tried riding with a group?
Old 05-18-24, 04:35 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
Freedom, solitude and achieving goals through self-discipline don't mesh well with group dynamics. I want to take a turn when I want, go the speed I want and hop onto a sidewalk if I think it's safer. Can you imagine Rocky in a group training run with Eye of the Tiger blasting? How about Batman achieving the fortitude in group sessions to escape The Pit or Luke Skywalker in daily Force Strengthening classes? Nope Nope and Nope.
Ok.

I do not do group rides. Always ride solo; always have, always will. But it has never, ever -- not once -- occurred to me to start some sort of thread about that preference. Doing so strikes me as just ... odd.

That said, I might have found your perfect bike -- a 'Lone Wolf' special. Behold, the World's Greatest Madone (courtesy BSNYC).
Likes For badger1:
Old 05-18-24, 05:14 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,098 Posts
Back in the day when I got my first real Road Bike in Italy, bikers my age (22) would have nothing to do with me. In many ways I dont blame them. I did not even know about cross chaining... Ha.

But there was an old group of riders that I did get in with. They were old guys in their 50s and older. Some of them even used to race. They thought nothing of letting the lanky young American GI tag along. They showed me how to ride my road bike. But they especially showed me how to enjoy a ride. Its a skill I use today.

You will find your group...
Old 05-18-24, 05:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10645 Post(s)
Liked 12,301 Times in 6,298 Posts
tl,dr.

I, too, am by preference a solitary cyclist. We should ride together, separately, some time.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-18-24, 05:34 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,167 Times in 2,012 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
You had to be on-guard and focused every second.
Life presents a lot of that naturally, I for certain do not want to add more to it. Just watching out when on a solo ride is mentally tiresome, watching out for other riders & when they slip up, no way Jose!
Old 05-18-24, 05:40 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,113 Posts
I've ridden a ton of solo miles randonneuring, day and night. I prefer to ride my pace, stopping when I want for how long I want. I rode most of Paris Brest Paris solo four times. Same with all the grand brevets I've done.

Some randonneurs can't or won't ride alone; if they find themselves alone, they'll slow up for the next group.

OTOH, without question the most fun times I've had randonneuring have been in groups. The Fleche is a 5-bike team event where the group rides together for 24 hours. Always a blast. It's one thing to ride a paceline; it's another thing to pace with the same people for 24 hours.

The last segment of PBP 2023 I rode with the North Carolina Adrian Hands Society gang, alternating goofing and hammering, So many great memories.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-18-24, 05:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2405 Post(s)
Liked 2,996 Times in 1,622 Posts
Misapplication of the word anger as I don’t feel angry towards them. I find these large packs incomprehensible and surprising would be a better turn of phrase.

many people use groups and clubs as a social event.
go for a ride, stop have coffee, talk, finish ride (in any order)

really nothing surprising or incomprehensible No different say a curling team

you simple may not need this social interaction or get it other ways

I mostly ride solo because it is convenient as to timing and just doing my thing, but as I have more time will be doing more group riding.....especially a midweek 30 mile ride that ends with lunch at a place that just happens to have a 2 for 1 beer special on that day

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-18-24, 05:58 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2405 Post(s)
Liked 2,996 Times in 1,622 Posts
side walks are pretty much never safer unless you are going at walking speed.

as to achieving goals, many time groups help do that. Example, I went kayaking today and pushed my self hard (5 foot wave, 3 miles off shore) and would never have done that without a group of paddles supporting and making is safer.

or in cycling no one wins the tour de france as a solo person, it takes a group to support the person who wins

clearly ride how you want there is not a right or a wrong, but just because you think a thing is not understandable does not make it wrong

Old 05-18-24, 06:29 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 890 Times in 442 Posts
I have started upping my cycling game in preparation for my first "serious" bike with early morning recreational rides in and around our lakeside paths, park trails and the city bike lanes. I have been somewhat surprised by the number of large groups of cyclists, from more serious-looking cycle groups right down to casual groups. Without having tried a group ride I can confidently say that this group riding is not for me. It appears stressful and chaotic, especially on narrow bike lanes; the antithesis of the serene, introspective and self-motivational ride I strive for to enhance mental and physical clarity. I see very few lone cyclists on these early morning jaunts

Am I just an angry loner?
Group rides are a blast. I was a serious loner as a kid, but an avid cyclist. The local bike shop owner invited me to take part in their Sunday group ride, and I did. I got dropped, got a flat when I was trying to catch up, and a passer-by in a pickup truck gave me a ride home.

But the next week I joined again, kept up, met a few people, and had a good time. The pace was faster than I could have kept up by myself, I learned the basics of drafting, and had fun sprinting at various landmarks. In time I moved to faster and more competitive groups, and this led to participating in races.

If group rides weren’t fun, you wouldn’t see so many of them.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 05-18-24, 06:42 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 311 Posts
One advantage of riding alone is fewer arguments about where to go, when to go, how fast to go, etc.
Old 05-18-24, 06:51 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,167 Times in 2,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
One advantage of riding alone is fewer arguments about where to go, when to go, how fast to go, etc.
isn't that called Riding Bikes with the spouse?
Old 05-18-24, 06:58 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 311 Posts
On the GAP/C&O I met a couple on a tandem recumbent; they were on their honeymoon!
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-18-24, 07:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8442 Post(s)
Liked 9,396 Times in 4,617 Posts
68 mile club ride today. Not a ton of climbing but the pace was pretty high at times. Luckily the 2 fast guys were sympathetic and kept the group together. 10 riders started but one friend is on the comeback so he turned back early. One of the fast guys had to be somewhere so he took off several miles later.

Climbing is how riders get separated, dropped, or just worn out. Even fast groups will split apart when there is enough climbing. It's not a problem for slower climbers (like me) if the faster climbers are willing to wait.

This ride was what I look for in a group. Hard work, nice roads, friendly banter, jokes, snack stops with story telling and more. I enjoy solo rides every week but I really look forward to the group rides. Activities are more fun when you have friends to share them with. I've done road trips with club members to ride at different locations. Some have gone to Europe together. I did a cross country tour with 3 other club members and several short tours with other members.
Old 05-18-24, 07:26 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 6,097 Times in 3,108 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Life presents a lot of that naturally, I for certain do not want to add more to it. Just watching out when on a solo ride is mentally tiresome, watching out for other riders & when they slip up, no way Jose!
Shirley, you jest. Surely you do.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-18-24, 07:33 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 203 Posts
I mostly ride alone, starting and ending at my house. I'd be happy to ride with a group if I didn't have to drive to get to where the group started.
Old 05-18-24, 07:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 6,097 Times in 3,108 Posts
Here’s some extra Freedom and it’s New! As a bonus, they make great Band-Aids.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-18-24, 07:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,093 Times in 7,556 Posts
I shook Stallone’s hand while he was scouting locations for Rock II.

Iggy list updated.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-18-24, 07:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7162 Post(s)
Liked 11,365 Times in 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Originally Posted by Koyote
Since MikeDeason has been back to this thread since I first asked this question, and has declined to answer it, I will state my rhetorical point more plainly: it's difficult to take you seriously when you claim to just know that you'll dislike something even though you've not tried it -- especially when it's something that is closely adjacent to an activity (cycling) that you claim to enjoy.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-18-24, 10:41 PM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
I have done only a handful of group rides. It does take more awareness and communication to ride close to others, and coordination of schedules. It has benefits, of course. I remember liking a "hill ride" that the local fast guys would lead. It was a good challenge to stay with the first group (or even the second). Those hammer rides are a little sketchy at times, when there's an intersection where some want to run the light and others want to live.

I really enjoy XC racing, and I've become acquainted with some of the local regulars. Not the same as a group ride, for sure, but still social. My problem with general group rides is that during racing season I'm always riding to train, and group rides don't usually fit super well into my plan. I have a few planned workouts to get in each week, working around weather, how I feel, and other life commitments. I'm not interested in a chill trail ride where folks stop and catch their breath and wait for stragglers, and I'm not interested in a Wed night hammer ride when I need a different workout.

But many, many cyclists love the social riding thing. The bike is a really a means to a social experience. That's just not me, and I'm old enough to be cool with that.
Old 05-18-24, 11:07 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
You should try a club

You might be surprised; I was.

i learned a lot. Met a lot of great people. Raised my pace in a group.

i ride probably 50/50; you don’t have to choose; do both!
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 05-18-24, 11:47 PM
13ollocks

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 126 Posts
I have started upping my cycling game in preparation for my first "serious" bike with early morning recreational rides in and around our lakeside paths, park trails and the city bike lanes. I have been somewhat surprised by the number of large groups of cyclists, from more serious-looking cycle groups right down to casual groups. Without having tried a group ride I can confidently say that this group riding is not for me. It appears stressful and chaotic, especially on narrow bike lanes; the antithesis of the serene, introspective and self-motivational ride I strive for to enhance mental and physical clarity. I see very few lone cyclists on these early morning jaunts

Am I just an angry loner?
Solo vs group are not mutually exclusive. When I moved here first, I solo’d for a few years, but ultimately joined a club to shake things up a bit. Sat AM I join or lead a group, comprising 8-20 riders depending on the weather. Our club runs rise at different levels - “banana” ride (13-16 mph av.), B18, B19, A20, A21 and “P ride”, comprising high-level cyclists and Ex-Pros. Rides range from social meanders to highly competitive Hammerfest, with everything in between. There are enough rides for anyone to find their level in terms of sustained speed and comfort riding in a group. I lead the B19 Sat AM ride, but I generally solo in 2-3 additional rides during the week. I enjoy the social aspect of the group rides, but I also enjoy the lack of stress - and great conversation 😀 - of a long solo effort. There’s room for both in your cycling life.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 05-19-24, 04:26 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 833 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I mostly ride alone, starting and ending at my house. I'd be happy to ride with a group if I didn't have to drive to get to where the group started.
That is one of the issues I have with group rides. I have a drive of 12 to 25 miles to get to a starting point for any group rides in my home area. In the summer months, the traffic is enough to deter me from doing that. Even off season, I dislike getting into a motorized vehicle to get to the starting point for a bike ride. My other main complaint, too many wannabe chiefs. I prefer to ride how, where and when, I want to. Most rides I have no set route, and often don't know which direction I will start, until I get to the end of my driveway. My pace varies greatly on most rides, and I stop more often than I used to.
I do, occasionally hook up with another rider. That is usually for no more than a few miles. If the that rider wants to talk a lot, and/or, ride side by side where there is likely to be motorized traffic, I usually bail out fairly quickly.

There is nothing wrong with being a lone wolf, even if surliness is part of that persona, Embrace the inner self.
Old 05-19-24, 10:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7730 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 1,933 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
That is one of the issues I have with group rides. I have a drive of 12 to 25 miles to get to a starting point for any group rides in my home area. In the summer months, the traffic is enough to deter me from doing that.
Yeah, I have an issue with this. The local club's group rides are too fast, and the slow club's group rides are right after rush hour, which can mean more time sitting stopped on a the road than riding on a path, trail, or road.

On the other hand, there is a good, non-competitive group out there beyond the gridlock, where there are no pacelines, no pressure, people stop to let the group reform now and then ..... if it were a little more convenient (after I get some fitness back) I would ride with them more often.

I like solo rides, but I am not so narrow-minded as to only do one thing ... I Can like a lot of things. I don't even mind the occasional head-down paceline ride .... variety is okay in small doses.

I am no fan of long hours in gridlocked traffic, but I do not regret any of the group rides i have participated in. I always enjoy the people and the riding.

But then, I don't imagine myself to be an iconic movie hero ......
Old 05-19-24, 10:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6377 Post(s)
Liked 4,975 Times in 3,423 Posts
I've seen cyclist riding solo that are a good example of what the OP is asserting about the group rides being witnessed.

Groups have their pro's and con's, just like riding solo has it's pro's and con's.

Just for the record, I ride solo most of the time. Not because I don't like groups, but because few want to ride in the middle of the day as I do.
Old 05-19-24, 10:16 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 461 Posts
I generally prefer to ride solo, mainly because I have a sporadic schedule and I treat cycling more as a fitness routine. I could care less about the social, sporting and lifestyle aspects of cycling. I'll do occasional group rides only for route exploration and/or trying to improve my fitness levels riding with strong cyclists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.