Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

swapping tires

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

swapping tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 01:27 PM
Bazooie55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
swapping tires

I purchased an el-cheapo e-pedal assist bike for my partner. She likes it ok, except that the tires on it are too narrow to her. We are not avid riders, in our late 60's and normally want to tool around in the campgrounds and back roads. There is a lot of sandy dirt along these roads, and she tends to slip and slide all over the place, so she is not comfortable and is afraid she's going to wreck. Is it possible to put a little wider tire and tube on the existing rims? The tires are 27.5 x 1.5 and the rims are 1 inch wide. She would like to go to the fat tires, but I don't think the bike's forks will have the clearance. My thoought is to possibly get a little wider rims and with it wider tires and tubes. Any bike servicers or mechanics have any advice?
Old 05-19-24, 01:51 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 653 Posts
The internal width is the most appropriate dimension AFAIK. If it's 20mm or so, you should be able to fit at least a 2.0 tire (but check the frame and fork widths first). Also, don't overinflate the tires; if she's only 125 pounds or so, you should be able to get away with 25 psi (maybe lower; you can experiment).
Old 05-19-24, 03:19 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 203 Posts
Given that you're not avid riders, try some cheap tires and see if they fit. I (totally guessing) think you would be fine with a 2" tire. Also, a super aggressive knobby tread would help as much or more than the extra width on sand.
Old 05-19-24, 04:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4522 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,825 Posts
What bike do you have? In the end you just need to do some measurement and make sure you have at the very least 3mm of clearance on each side but probably ideally 6mm. I probably wouldn't get wider wheels unless you need it but just get a wider tire assuming one will fit. Someone might know what sort of clearance you have if you give us some useful info on what you have.

In terms of riding on sand if it is a lot of sand then you would be wanting a fat bike but if just going through a little sand once and a while just air down and that will help out.
Old 05-19-24, 09:09 PM
jobtraklite

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If a 1 inch wide rim refers to the interior of the rim, then the sizing chart in Sheldon Brown’s tire sizing dissertation at

https://biketrain.net/tireSizingChart.png

might be useful.

One inch is 25.400 mm and the max rim size in Sheldon’s chart is 25mm. (I guess the chart was created before ebikes became popular). Using 25 mm, tires between 44 and 57 mm should be safe. That’s 1.7323 in to 2.2441 in.

At least according to this chart, 1.5 in tires are too skinny.