Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Aethos Comp 105 Di2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized Aethos Comp 105 Di2

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-24, 08:15 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,231 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
How would you know that the carbon layup is the same?
Well you have described the issue with a no name Chinese frame. You have no idea what thought process, if any, was put into the frame design. For all I know these were frames built for the lower end of US carbon sellers like Tomasso or Bikes Direct, etc.... only with labels in their case. My Chinese certainly does not have the ride quality of my Trek, so it was an interesting lesson.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-18-24, 08:53 AM
runningDoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
that looks like a good/great deal for a new Aethos build under warranty. if it's the proper size and fit then its a great bike.

two underrated aspects of the Aethos is how much easier the bike can be to wrench on if needed. as long as you don't go fully integrated bar/stem combo then things like swapping out stem/handlebar/headset bearings or even things like bottom bracket (since its threaded BB) are easy and quick to do. the other underrated thing about the Aethos is how comfortable this bike is on top of being such a good handling bike especially since you can put up to 32c tires on it.

You're correct you're only a lighter wheelset to sub 16lbs and maybe also crankset away (ultegra or Dura Ace) to getting to even sub 15lbs build.

I've had an Aethos since March so not that long but it reminds me of my old favorite steel racing bikes felt but even more comfortable and high performance handling wise. It does have clearance for 32c tires (which on 25mm internal width rim actually measure 34mm wide).

I bought a used one for $5500 that was a 2023 S-works frame full sram red enve wheels/cockpit tricked out one built up as a Competitive Cyclist stable bike that they sold after the season ended. It was 14.7lbs so I just went the opposite way and put on bigger tires (from 28c gp5000s to 32c) to tackle some gravel paths on my usual road route.

I know that I would've been just as happy with any of the Aethos build offerings they have for retail too. If i got the 105 build you're looking at I'd be still smiling ear to ear before/during/after the ride.

Last edited by runningDoc; 05-18-24 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For runningDoc:
Old 05-19-24, 09:23 AM
semper_citius

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like a good deal. I had an Aethos Comp (with a few upgrades) for a couple years and absolutely loved it. It was light and handled really well, and the ride quality was exceptional. Race bike geometry with endurance bike comfort and compliance. The only reason I sold it was because I bought a new Tarmac SL8, and while they are definitely different bikes, there was too much overlap for me to justify keeping both.

I ran Roval C38's and had no issues with them. They were a decent combo of reasonable weight, aero, and durability. But if were to own another Aethos (which I may someday) I'd do as you're suggesting and go full-on lightweight climbing bike with Alpinist CLXII or something similar in the 1200-1300g range. That would be a fun bike.
Likes For semper_citius:
Old 05-20-24, 02:51 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 103 Posts
How would you know that the carbon layup is the same? I know from experience that you can double torsional stiffness of a carbon structure just by changing the layup design. So how do they compare in torsional stiffness etc? Is there a rider weight limit on the Chinese copy? There are a lot of very subtle tube and junction transition profiles on the Aethos that were carefully worked out in FEA to maintain strength and stiffness at minimum weight. Does the Chinese copy reproduce all these details precisely?

These are the sort of questions I would need answering before I would be interested in a Chinese copy frame. I’m sure some of them are very good, but there’s a lot of crap out there to wade through. The big brands are a known quantity with a proven history and that’s what you are paying for. We know it can be done much cheaper by copying and cutting out Western business overheads, but it’s hard to know exactly what corners were cut and what differences there are below the paint job.

So If I wanted an Aethos then I would just buy an Aethos to be sure of the design and quality.
Well off the record the owner of Panda Podium claims Big Rock is the manufacture who makes the Aethos for Specialized. Literally the Sohea is the same exact frame albeit slightly different hardware and paint.

Not to spark a debate but the ignorance of people who think these big brands actually make their own frames and that Specialized or any big brand other than maybe Giant who does mostly everything in house is any better than an reputable Chinese brand is laughable. if the sticker and badge on the frame comforts you, then buy the big Western brand, but in my humble opinion even though I love my Aethos you are just throwing money away either because you are insecure or scared
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 05-20-24, 02:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 3,525 Times in 1,853 Posts
I recon the lifetime warranty is worth about 1/3 the price of the frame, so that might have something to do with it. Maybe that is a form of insecurity or being scared, but it might also be viewed by some as prudent.
Old 05-20-24, 03:18 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
Well off the record the owner of Panda Podium claims Big Rock is the manufacture who makes the Aethos for Specialized. Literally the Sohea is the same exact frame albeit slightly different hardware and paint.
Oh well in that case I’m totally convinced 😂. I was under the impression that most Specialized frames are made in Taiwan. So is this where Big Rock are based then or is the Aethos made in China?

I would have thought Specialized would have pretty close control over Aethos production and it seems unlikely that their manufacturing partner would be churning out identical frames under a different name.

Unless you know for certain, this is just a bold claim the Panda guy is making which is obviously to his advantage. Hardly a credible source.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-20-24, 03:52 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by runningDoc
that looks like a good/great deal for a new Aethos build under warranty. if it's the proper size and fit then its a great bike.

two underrated aspects of the Aethos is how much easier the bike can be to wrench on if needed. as long as you don't go fully integrated bar/stem combo then things like swapping out stem/handlebar/headset bearings or even things like bottom bracket (since its threaded BB) are easy and quick to do. the other underrated thing about the Aethos is how comfortable this bike is on top of being such a good handling bike especially since you can put up to 32c tires on it.

You're correct you're only a lighter wheelset to sub 16lbs and maybe also crankset away (ultegra or Dura Ace) to getting to even sub 15lbs build.

I've had an Aethos since March so not that long but it reminds me of my old favorite steel racing bikes felt but even more comfortable and high performance handling wise. It does have clearance for 32c tires (which on 25mm internal width rim actually measure 34mm wide).

I bought a used one for $5500 that was a 2023 S-works frame full sram red enve wheels/cockpit tricked out one built up as a Competitive Cyclist stable bike that they sold after the season ended. It was 14.7lbs so I just went the opposite way and put on bigger tires (from 28c gp5000s to 32c) to tackle some gravel paths on my usual road route.

I know that I would've been just as happy with any of the Aethos build offerings they have for retail too. If i got the 105 build you're looking at I'd be still smiling ear to ear before/during/after the ride.
That's exactly what I thought when I test rode the bike... it feels like a vintage steel bike. And that's the best compliment IMO...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 05-20-24, 03:55 PM
Caliwild

Picking up the bike today! So excited! The only other thing I may change now is the saddle, since it's apparently a 300 gram anchor (cheap, OEM version of the Power saddle). Any decent saddle will knock another 150 grams off. I'll post photos soon...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 05-20-24, 03:56 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 74 Posts
Oh well in that case I’m totally convinced 😂. I was under the impression that most Specialized frames are made in Taiwan. So is this where Big Rock are based then or is the Aethos made in China?

I would have thought Specialized would have pretty close control over Aethos production and it seems unlikely that their manufacturing partner would be churning out identical frames under a different name.

Unless you know for certain, this is just a bold claim the Panda guy is making which is obviously to his advantage. Hardly a credible source.
I’d have to assume it’s a bogus claim, as Merida which owns 49% of Specialized has their factory in Taiwan and at least in very recent history was producing Specialized carbon frames there.
Old 05-20-24, 04:06 PM
NumbersGuy

Not to spark a debate but the ignorance of people who think these big brands actually make their own frames and that Specialized or any big brand other than maybe Giant who does mostly everything in house is any better than an reputable Chinese brand is laughable. if the sticker and badge on the frame comforts you, then buy the big Western brand, but in my humble opinion even though I love my Aethos you are just throwing money away either because you are insecure or scared
In my humble opinion you have no facts and are the laughable part of the discussion. Just because two frames look almost the same means nothing other than the Chinese are very capable of creating manufacturing processes to copy things they may not even have anything more than photographs of….

There’s also the matter of ethics and not supporting the company that stole someone else’s patented design that they put a lot of investment into creating. But if you’re too selfish to care, then by all means buy a Big Rock.
Old 05-20-24, 04:16 PM
Jrasero

[QUOTE=NumbersGuy;23245127]In my humble opinion you have no facts and are the laughable part of the discussion. Just because two frames look almost the same means nothing other than the Chinese are very capable of creating manufacturing processes to copy things they may not even have anything more than photographs of….

There’s also the matter of ethics and not supporting the company that stole someone else’s patented design that they put a lot of investment into creating. But if you’re too selfish to care, then by all means buy a Big Rock.[/QUOTE

the laughable part is that besides me and a few other people on this sub, very few people have an Aethos let alone have ridden one. It’s true I can’t verify if Big Rock actually makes the Aethos but I can contest the difference between an Aethos and Sohtea is literally zero because my friend just built one up.

who is to say they “stole” anything plus when have round tubes become patent technology. You just come off as a Western gatekeeper and borderline racist. Read a book
Old 05-20-24, 04:59 PM
NumbersGuy

the laughable part is that besides me and a few other people on this sub, very few people have an Aethos let alone have ridden one. It’s true I can’t verify if Big Rock actually makes the Aethos but I can contest the difference between an Aethos and Sohtea is literally zero because my friend just built one up.

who is to say they “stole” anything plus when have round tubes become patent technology. You just come off as a Western gatekeeper and borderline racist. Read a book
Oh, so since your friend just built up a Sohtea, you’re qualified to say there is zero difference. And since you say the owner of Panda Podium claims Big rock is the manufacturer of the Aethos, that’s to be taken as fact as well.

There is a lot more to frame design than tube shape, but perhaps that is your bar for determine whether two frames are exactly the same.

I’ll decline to respond to your other completely inappropriate personal attack as it just gives more insight into the level of person making the comments.
Old 05-20-24, 05:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked 5,773 Times in 2,913 Posts
My apologies

I regret that we've hijacked OP's thread about his nice new bike into yet another yap yap about generic Chinese carbon. Especially since OP specifically requested we not. I've gone back and deleted my OT posts, maybe others will do the same.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-20-24, 06:17 PM
PeteHski

So exact same tube profiles, transitions etc. What about the carbon spec and layup design? Have you measured the torsional stiffness of both frames? How would you be able to verify any of that was the same? To keep costs down they could have cut a lot of corners and simply lied about the carbon spec. It’s not like they have to worry about standards and lawsuits.

It might well be a decent quality frame, but I doubt it will be the same as an Aethos, which is a cutting edge design in terms of stiffness/weight. The Aethos forks are ultra-light too and I certainly wouldn’t fancy taking my chances with a knock-off version of those at that weight.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-20-24, 07:24 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Picking up the bike today! So excited! The only other thing I may change now is the saddle, since it's apparently a 300 gram anchor (cheap, OEM version of the Power saddle). Any decent saddle will knock another 150 grams off. I'll post photos soon...
And?

😜
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 05-20-24, 07:39 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 197 Posts
There sure is!
https://www.pandapodium.cc/brand/bigrock/
If I was building again today I would just get the Sohea tema Edition since it basically is a one for one copy of the Aethos SWORKS at $1700!
Close is only really good with horse shoes and hand grenades, and that isn’t really all that close. Different BB, fork, it’s noticeably heavier, I quit looking at that point.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 05-20-24, 08:07 PM
Jrasero

So exact same tube profiles, transitions etc. What about the carbon spec and layup design? Have you measured the torsional stiffness of both frames? How would you be able to verify any of that was the same? To keep costs down they could have cut a lot of corners and simply lied about the carbon spec. It’s not like they have to worry about standards and lawsuits.

It might well be a decent quality frame, but I doubt it will be the same as an Aethos, which is a cutting edge design in terms of stiffness/weight. The Aethos forks are ultra-light too and I certainly wouldn’t fancy taking my chances with a knock-off version of those at that weight.
let me cut open my $3K frame to look at the weave to examine the layup. Again none of you have seen or ridden a Sohtea let alone very few of you have ridden an Aethos. This is like someone giving their feedback on a Mercedes but they drive a Corolla.
Old 05-20-24, 08:10 PM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Oh, so since your friend just built up a Sohtea, you’re qualified to say there is zero difference. And since you say the owner of Panda Podium claims Big rock is the manufacturer of the Aethos, that’s to be taken as fact as well.

There is a lot more to frame design than tube shape, but perhaps that is your bar for determine whether two frames are exactly the same.

I’ll decline to respond to your other completely inappropriate personal attack as it just gives more insight into the level of person making the comments.
Actually yes. I can say for certain you don't have any of these bikes so you are 100% not qualified to give any quantifiable answer to this. There is a lot more to frame design than tube shape but when my Aethos literally rides a 1 to 1 to a Sohtea dare I say it's an amazing clone or the exact frame. Again you ride the two and get back to me but until then you have no clue what you are talking about.
Old 05-20-24, 09:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4018 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,030 Posts
A kid tried to sell me a watch on the streets of Istanbul. I don't remember the brand, but he said it was made in the same factory as Rolex. At the time I didn't believe him, but now I see the error of my ways.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-20-24, 10:47 PM
Caliwild

OK, I just weighed the bike... With Dura Ace pedals (but no cages yet), she weighs 15.9 pounds! You can feel how lightweight it is just picking it up....
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 05-20-24, 10:55 PM
Caliwild

Here are a couple shots... I really, really like the paint on the bike. Looks like plain white from a distance, but up close it's really shimmery and has an iridescent shine. And the branding is so subtle that you can only see it very close up (see the head tube photo below). Makes my other bikes look like rolling billboards! I'm digging how the black wheels, tires, 105 groupset, and components play off the white frame. Very monochromatic... And I forgot how comfy the Supacaz bar tape is. Lastly, I'm glad it's a glossy paint. I can't imagine having a matte white frameset. Now on to the maiden ride soon...

Old 05-21-24, 03:07 AM
PeteHski

let me cut open my $3K frame to look at the weave to examine the layup. Again none of you have seen or ridden a Sohtea let alone very few of you have ridden an Aethos. This is like someone giving their feedback on a Mercedes but they drive a Corolla.
You are the one claiming that this Schtea thing is identical to an S-Works Aethos. I’m not reviewing anything. Just pointing out the obvious limitations in your comparison ie you have no clue about the materials, layup or QC involved.

Anyway that’s enough. This thread should be about the real thing, not your mate’s knock-off copy.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-21-24, 03:32 AM
NumbersGuy

That’s an awesome looking bike. I’m definitely with you on liking the very subtle branding. I think it was a great choice by Specialized to keep the branding to a minimum on the Aethos, and this specific white on white really lets the bike stand on it’s own beauty and simplicity. 15.9 lbs is awesome for very minimal changes. I hope you enjoy it thoroughly.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 05-21-24, 05:01 AM
PeteHski

I agree about the minimal branding. It actually makes the Aethos stand out from the crowd. I very nearly bought one myself a couple of years ago (Pro build), but they were out of stock across the UK at that time. It was also when Roval had their tubeless compatibility fiasco, which put me off that particular build. This build with a wheel upgrade actually looks like much better value.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-21-24, 05:40 AM
Jrasero

You are the one claiming that this Schtea thing is identical to an S-Works Aethos. I’m not reviewing anything. Just pointing out the obvious limitations in your comparison ie you have no clue about the materials, layup or QC involved.

Anyway that’s enough. This thread should be about the real thing, not your mate’s knock-off copy.
I am claiming this because I have seen and ridden both. Once you are able to do that I will take what you are saying with more value but until then you just come off as an old head
Likes For Jrasero:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.