Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Canyon Stack+ and Reach+

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Canyon Stack+ and Reach+

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 04:37 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts
Canyon Stack+ and Reach+

Canyon's geometry specifications for their Aeroad and Ultimate include Reach, Stack, Reach+ and Stack+. While the former 2 agree with all other bicycle manufacturers measurement methodology, Reach+ is defined by Canyon to be the horizontal distance from the bottom bracket to the centre of the handlebar tops (where your stem clamps to your bars). Stack+ is defined by Canyon to be the vertical height between the bottom bracket and the top of the handlebar tops. 

Now I have been looking at both the Aeroad and the Ultinate in a size L. Stack and reach are listed as 580mm and 401mm respectively. Canyon goes on to state that Stack+ and Reach+ are respectively 656mm and 490mm. Canyon claims their integrated stem/handlebar is effectively a 110mm stem. O.K. there's an angle involved, but wouldn't one expect Reach+ to be measuring more than 76mm greater than Reach?
Old 05-20-24, 04:58 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4629 Post(s)
Liked 1,776 Times in 1,162 Posts
It's correct because the steerer angles back 73 degrees, so you lose 3cm horizontally for every 10cm of height.
Old 05-20-24, 08:46 PM
gkamieneski

Then I may be able to calculate reach+ on my current and prior bicycle that had 120mm stems.

What about stack+? Any formula for that as well?

thanks
Old 05-20-24, 09:42 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4629 Post(s)
Liked 1,776 Times in 1,162 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Then I may be able to calculate reach+ on my current and prior bicycle that had 120mm stems.

What about stack+? Any formula for that as well?

thanks
Stack or stack+ is just a vertical measure. But reach is goofy because it relates to stuff that is constantly modified by the angled steerer when you compare two bikes, raise your stem, etc.
Old 05-21-24, 07:20 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
Everyone should have a drywall square Measure the distance from the floor to the bb shell center and then measure from the floor to the handlebar tops.

Do they reference the handlebars because they have integrated stem/handlebars?
Old 05-22-24, 01:42 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Everyone should have a drywall square Measure the distance from the floor to the bb shell center and then measure from the floor to the handlebar tops.

Do they reference the handlebars because they have integrated stem/handlebars?
I can see this as an easy means of measuring Stack+, however I don't know of a similar easy way to measure Reach+.
Old 05-31-24, 11:04 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
I can see this as an easy means of measuring Stack+, however I don't know of a similar easy way to measure Reach+.
Then compare virtual top tube dimensions. Look, there are always fudge factors in how far you're going to reach for a handlebar, anyway--stem stack, stem angle, stem spacers and compression cone height, handlebar reach, width, and sweep, the brand and model of your control levers, and where you prefer to sit on the saddle.