Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Poll for club riders

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Will you go eBike as you age or stay purely mechanical?
eBike
26.83%
Mechanical
51.22%
Other
21.95%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Poll for club riders

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 09:09 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Poll for club riders

As you get older and slower, will you just slow down and stay on your regular bikes, or will you get an eBike to keep up with your younger/stronger buddies with whom you've been riding for years and years?

My club has some older riders in each camp.

I was talking to one such member last night. We are the slowest two in a faster group that gathers on Monday nights. He pulled me along last summer (my first with the club). Now, he has A-fib and is capped at 150 bpm or so by his meds. He's shopping for an eBike now and it makes me sad to see another guy buy an eBike just to keep up with the younger guys. (considering that our club has slower rides too)

Now don't get me wrong, I love eBikes and have 4 of them, but not to lie to myself that I'm faster than I really am or to keep up with the Joneses. (I also have four regular bikes)

It's like a woman dying her hair to appear younger rather than accepting her fate.

Yes, of course that's a personal choice, so leave your torches and pitchforks in the shed, please.

What will you do? How do YOU feel about it?
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 05-21-24, 09:13 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,169 Times in 2,014 Posts
i'll just drive a golf cart
Old 05-21-24, 09:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4641 Post(s)
Liked 5,175 Times in 3,200 Posts
I'm open-minded about it. It would depend on both the group I wanted to ride with and the terrain. Some of our local rides feature 20% climbs and I would rather choose an e-bike vs walking up them. Unless you are racing, what does it matter whether you are using an e-bike or not? If A guy 20 years older than me needs an e-bike to keep pace then fine. I would only complain if younger guys had them lol
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-21-24, 09:59 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 532 Posts
Why is that not a legitimate reason to buy an e-bike? Seems closed minded.

Also don’t know why you’d have an issue with women dying their hair but that’s obviously a whole different conversation…
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-21-24, 10:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6383 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 3,429 Posts
How should I know what I'd do in the future when likely other things will have bearing on the decision than I probably even realize now.

I learned a long time ago that saying "never" will come back to haunt me later when friends point out my change of view.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-21-24, 11:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,094 Times in 7,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
How should I know what I'd do in the future when likely other things will have bearing on the decision than I probably even realize now.

I learned a long time ago that saying "never" will come back to haunt me later when friends point out my change of view.
Beat me to it.

After what I went through starting at the end of 2022, I won’t predict the future. For the first couple of months of 2023, I thought I might never walk again, at least not without a lot of trouble. Managed a grand total of 44 miles on the bike that year. I’m about to hit 500 so far this year and have already done a relatively easy (for the old me, anyway) self contained tour.

*searches photo library for “I LIKE WHERE THIS THREAD IS GOING” meme*

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-21-24 at 11:18 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-21-24, 02:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 5,829 Times in 2,946 Posts
I've recently faced this choice at age 75. I'd become one of the slower riders and was on track to dropping into the "short" group of 30 mile rides instead of the usual 50-60ish. A couple of guys my age had already gone to Ebikes, so there was precedent. I'd been riding with this group for over 15 years and enjoyed the camaraderie, the shared suffering on tough climbs and remote routes. The negatives were driving to the start and a couple of roads with bad traffic at the beginning and end of each ride. Also, what had been an invitation only group of about 20+/- has been publicized and now the usual group is 40 or more. I decided tagging along on an ebike just would feel odd and I wouldn't get any sense of achievement. An old guy desperately trying to hang on to youth. Anyway, I've been riding solo and changed to a gravel bike with stable geometry, fat tires and easy gears. I do miss the group rides and I'm really happy to have been able to participate for so many years. Riding short and slow in my dottage is OK but I can see that it won't be worthwhile if the rides get much shorter or slower. tl;dr I chose to accept the reality of not being able to hang with the group rather than pretend with an ebike.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-21-24, 03:06 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 414 Posts
Other than the winter mid week around the block shop races, I will never ride an e-bike. If I wanted an electric motorcycle or moped, that is what I would be riding now. I don't mind other folks doing it though, motor pacing behind old folks is part of my "training" routine these days...
Old 05-21-24, 03:11 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 357 Posts
The groups I ride with disallow e-bikes. There aren’t “official rules” but I’ve never seen someone come on an e-bike, and if they did I’d bet someone would say something.
Old 05-21-24, 03:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6383 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 3,429 Posts
To add some more to my earlier post, one should consider that just a little bit of leg muscle moving ones legs up and down will produce a definite cardiovascular benefit. The longer you can do it the better. And if I ever get too weak to not be able to pedal my bike at the speeds I like to keep to remain interested in cycling, then I will have a e-bike. One that I have to pedal to keep moving. Not one that is just a motor cycle by another name.

I've not found anyone on a e-bike here that I'd want to sit behind. They all go way to slow for me. However I can tell that they are enjoying themselves just getting out into the world. Perhaps in other places, people buy e-bikes as a last bastion of hope for a otherwise dwindling testosterone supply to give them a adrenaline rush.

While some of you said you'd never ride a e-bike... Well never say never. Perhaps this thread should be resurrected in 10 or 15 years and all of us prodded to come back and state what the new future has us doing.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-21-24, 03:26 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
i'll just drive a golf cart
Don't forget to buy a white belt to match your white shoes.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 05-21-24, 04:06 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Iride01
Perhaps this thread should be resurrected in 10 or 15 years and all of us prodded to come back and state what the new future has us doing.
This is BF. I’m certain some newb will resurrect it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-21-24, 04:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 6,098 Times in 3,109 Posts
Aging sucks and not being able to keep up sucks even more. For those who enjoy fast group rides there eventually is a turning point where the question has to be asked about still running with the big dogs. Speed can be addictive as well the camaraderie of well synched experience pace lines. There is no reason we need to go quietly into this good night when there are tools to keep people in the game.

I remember in my late forty’s when the group I rode with on Tuesday night rides kept adding new, younger and stronger cyclists. When the pace kept accelerating into the mid-20s I could not last after 10 miles. It was a real drag watching the gap grow larger and larger as they would eventually disappear. Eventually I stopped going since I just couldn’t compete and hated be dropped. If I had the option to go e-racing-bike then it would have put me into a real quandary as the OP appears to be in. I didn’t have the choice then, but he does now and it’s good to have choices.

If you value the group and will not be confronted by snobs looking down their noses and giving you a hard time, then why not? And even if they do look down their noses - to heck with them. Bet the rest - the worthwhile ones, would love to still have your company.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-21-24, 04:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 5,829 Times in 2,946 Posts
Reminder that OP was asking about group riding. While I wouldn't force myself into a group via ebike, I have enjoyed one in the past and may very likely have one in the future. Would be great for smell the roses excursions. I'd want throttle, step thru and maybe more of a scooter design so I wouldn't have to kit out for an hour or so puttering. Again, different from what OP is asking about.
Old 05-21-24, 05:17 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 781 Posts
I doubt that I will ever own an e-bike. Just doesn't appeal to me. I'll just ride my Triumph Street Triple to the pub.
Old 05-21-24, 06:35 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Quoted: 2081 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,086 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm open-minded about it. It would depend on both the group I wanted to ride with and the terrain. Some of our local rides feature 20% climbs and I would rather choose an e-bike vs walking up them. Unless you are racing, what does it matter whether you are using an e-bike or not? If A guy 20 years older than me needs an e-bike to keep pace then fine. I would only complain if younger guys had them lol
Exactly. I recently became the newest member of a no-drop group whose members have been riding together for many years for camaraderie and to train for an annual charity ride. On our last ride I realized one of the faster guys ride an e-bike when I noticed it has a huge rear hub. Does not make me think any less (or more) of him; it's not as though he is scooting around mowing people down. I am all for him riding whatever works for him to maintain his riding and his connection to the group.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-21-24, 06:51 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3073 Post(s)
Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
What's a club rider?
Old 05-21-24, 06:56 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by prj71
What's a club rider?
someone who rides with a club, so for around here, Alto Velo, Penvelo, Western Wheelers, and some triathlete thing.
Old 05-21-24, 07:00 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3073 Post(s)
Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
weird. I just ride with friends. no club involved.
Likes For prj71:
Old 05-21-24, 07:21 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3270 Post(s)
Liked 1,810 Times in 1,089 Posts
I can see myself going e-bike sometime in the future. But rather than trying to do mixed rides, I think I’d seek out an e-bike club.

My experience with e-bikes is pretty limited, but I’ve ridden them and they can do some pretty amazing things. Because of that, I’m not all certain bikes and e-bikes go together safely in a group ride scenario, particularly a spirited group ride. The disparity in capability betwen the two seems like it would breed risky, dangerous scenarios, but also, I rely on knowing my clubmates are, like me, prone to fatigue, and being able to make some strategic calls based on mileage or hard we’ve been working is part of the sport, and part of the fun. The run up to the closing sprint doesn’t mean the same thing if some of the guys literally have motors and feel 2x as fresh.

So yeah, maybe e-bike for me, but in an all-ebike group setting. I bet that would be a blast!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 05-21-24, 09:45 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by chaadster
I’m not all certain bikes and e-bikes go together safely in a group ride scenario, particularly a spirited group ride.
Yup, this is the reason they are disallowed in the rides I do.
Old 05-22-24, 09:03 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Reminder that OP was asking about group riding. While I wouldn't force myself into a group via ebike, I have enjoyed one in the past and may very likely have one in the future. Would be great for smell the roses excursions. I'd want throttle, step thru and maybe more of a scooter design so I wouldn't have to kit out for an hour or so puttering. Again, different from what OP is asking about.
One of my eBikes is just such a bike; it can do a little bit of everything.

A do-it-all eBike. Rack is integral and is rated for 130 lbs. It folds for easy storage. 20x3" fat tires for most terrain. Integrated lights, including brake light. Only downsides are weight (60 lbs.) and the seat post is too short to get full leg extension if you have more than a 31" inseam. (no affiliation)

https://ride1up.com/product/portola/

Originally Posted by bruce19
I doubt that I will ever own an e-bike. Just doesn't appeal to me. I'll just ride my Triumph Street Triple to the pub.
Those are fun, but then you'll get ZERO exercise and your fitness will go down the toilet. On an eBike, you can get as much or little exercise as you want or can handle.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Exactly. I recently became the newest member of a no-drop group whose members have been riding together for many years for camaraderie and to train for an annual charity ride. On our last ride I realized one of the faster guys ride an e-bike when I noticed it has a huge rear hub. Does not make me think any less (or more) of him; it's not as though he is scooting around mowing people down. I am all for him riding whatever works for him to maintain his riding and his connection to the group.
This is how the two regulars ride in my club. They want to ride with certain people at a certain pace. (which they cannot maintain any more) There are two others who do the same. I just recently met a guy in his early 30s riding an electric Domane. His father-in-law got him into cycling, but will not slow down so he can keep up and build himself up. (that's kind of sad to me) So now we are starting to have a generation who will never build the fitness in the first place; they'll just go eBike so they can keep up with the old guys (in this case, 50-something) with a better work ethic.

It's also worth mentioning that a large rear hub could also mean IGH, but I assume you knew that and figured out it was a motor hub. I get asked all the time if my Priority Apollo 11 is an eBike. (I assure you it's not because I'm that fast or a great climber...)

Originally Posted by prj71
weird. I just ride with friends. no club involved.
You're lucky to have friends who are cyclists. I didn't have any friends who are cyclists, so I joined the club, and now I have a LOT of friends who are cyclists; more all the time. I learned a lot, discovered new roads and paths, join social events. To me, it's like church or temple is for religious people.
Up in north central WI, people tend to be friendlier than down here in SE WI, so maybe you had an easier time making friends. Maybe start a club there, if there isn't one yet...

Originally Posted by chaadster
I can see myself going e-bike sometime in the future. But rather than trying to do mixed rides, I think I’d seek out an e-bike club.

My experience with e-bikes is pretty limited, but I’ve ridden them and they can do some pretty amazing things. Because of that, I’m not all certain bikes and e-bikes go together safely in a group ride scenario, particularly a spirited group ride. The disparity in capability betwen the two seems like it would breed risky, dangerous scenarios, but also, I rely on knowing my clubmates are, like me, prone to fatigue, and being able to make some strategic calls based on mileage or hard we’ve been working is part of the sport, and part of the fun. The run up to the closing sprint doesn’t mean the same thing if some of the guys literally have motors and feel 2x as fresh.

So yeah, maybe e-bike for me, but in an all-ebike group setting. I bet that would be a blast!
It really depends on the people and the general leadership and attitude of the club. We have a couple of older riders who were fast in their younger days, and can't bear to see their options getting limited by age and physical issues out of their control. With an eBike, they can ride with any group they want:
  • One guy is 70. Got a pacemaker installed 5 years ago. He was a velodrome racer when he was in his prime. He's very strong; just doesn't have a ticker in prime condition any more. He frequently offers to pull us when we hit a headwind.
  • Another guy is early 60s and has developed A-fib. He now rides with me in the B-group on the faster rides. He's thinking of an eBike too. He's the leader of the B-group and lets newbies draft him.
    ↑ These kinds of guys in my club get a friendly tease now and then, but are accepted. They're both on Domane+
  • There's a woman about my age (mid-late 40s) who also rides a Domane+. She just never got that fit to begin with. However, she's a great leader. (she's an assistant principal at a local high school) Her husband is one of the club's faster riders, so I think she got an eBike originally to be able to ride with him. Her bike is Class 1, so it only assists up to 20 mph. He loses her down the hills and she catches him on the climbs. They're quite the duo.
  • There's another woman in her mid-70s that is on an eBike. She's not about going "fast" any more and can keep up on the flats, but needs help with the hills. People also give her a pass.
  • There's another guy, he just turned 83. He's in TOP shape for 83; the kind of guy we all want to be. Retired Iowa farmer. Most recently rode a gravel bike in the Coffee Riders group. Decided he was OK with riding an eBike and got a hybrid. Believe it or not, HE is the one that rides off the front. When he realizes it, he turns off the motor for awhile until the rest of us catch up with him. He's not trying to show off or be fast, it's just that he's comfortable at 15-18 mph on the hybrid eBike when the rest of us in that group are comfortable at 13-14.
The guy in the 2nd bullet is a buddy of mine. He kind of "sponsored" me, taught me the ropes of group riding courtesy, drafting, double pace line riding; I've been chatting with him and I had a conversation with him:
Jeremy: "Are you looking at road-style eBikes then?"
Buddy: "Yep, Specialized."
Jeremy: "If it's going to be an eBike, you can keep up and keep your heart in the right range no matter WHAT the style. Did you consider something more upright, comfortable and practical, like an urban commuter style?"
Buddy: "No."
Jeremy: "Why not? On an eBike, you're not going to get the respect for keeping up with the fast guys anyway. May as well save your neck and wrists."
Buddy: (I forget what his answer was, but it amounted to he wanted to fit in with the look of the rest of the group)

If we had someone joining rides on an eBike and s/he was being unsafe or un-classy, s/he would get comments and the president would probably have a talk with him/her. It's a kind of social control.

If I joined on my Portola, I'm sure I would get some of this → or from a lot of members.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 05-22-24, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

^^Second time posting the same stock photo^*
Old 05-22-24, 12:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 713 Posts
This topic apparently split our great club apart while I was on a hiatus from cycling. It's a casual club and very few members race, so safety is the crucial point here. As long as they ride their e-bike safely, it's not a problem, aside from me being demoralized because I'm now one of the last riders to the top of the climb... which makes me wonder if I will eventually break down and get an e-bike some day.
Old 05-22-24, 12:43 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4641 Post(s)
Liked 5,175 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

If you value the group and will not be confronted by snobs looking down their noses and giving you a hard time, then why not? And even if they do look down their noses - to heck with them. Bet the rest - the worthwhile ones, would love to still have your company.
This is my view too. If some 20 something decided I was "cheating" I would just ask how fast they expected to be in another 40+ years. I bet they will all be riding e-bikes by then anyway.

I sometimes ride with a slower guy who has an e-bike (250W road bike, no throttle, proportional assist) and it's totally fine. It's actually quite useful as he is willing to do more pulls on the front, which works really well on shallow climbs or into a headwind. He's actually at a disadvantage on the flat as his motor cuts out at around 20 mph I think. He still often rides a normal road bike on flatter rides. But he weighs in at around 95 kg, so steep climbs are painful unless he uses his e-bike. I actually prefer it when he does, so I don't have to wait around for him.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.