Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Giro stage 2 - question

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Giro stage 2 - question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 05:02 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,966 Times in 2,288 Posts
Giro stage 2 - question

I read that Tadej's flat tire resulted in the tire coming off the rim and contributed to taking a little spill.

Have yet to see the incident myself, but (if true) wondering what tire/rim was in use. And how big a pothole he hit?

edit: The team is supported by ENVE wheels and Continental tires. Still wondering Tadej's tire/wheelset.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-05-24 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-05-24, 08:59 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Liked 643 Times in 480 Posts
He was running tubeless and he tried taking a turn when it was flat, so it ended up slipping off the rim. A bunch of sealant came out and he slid on that along with the tire popping off the bead, from what I could tell. I've really considered putting an insert into my front tire - it's concerning how quickly tubeless can deflate, though I've never had an instant loss of pressure.

I have almost slid out like Tadej has, when my front wheel had slowly lost pressure. In a straight line with tubeless it's difficult to tell when the front tire is getting really low IMO; and I went to make a sharp correction and had the tire fold under me slightly. Lucky for me the bead held and stayed seated!
Old 05-05-24, 11:28 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Liked 3,207 Times in 1,730 Posts
tubeless or tubed...both have their advantages and disadvantages. always helps when you've got a team car that nearly runs you over in the haste to change out the bike.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-06-24, 05:57 AM
seypat

Liked 2,583 Times in 1,535 Posts
The dude tried to do a 90 degree turn on a flat tire. He jerked his handlebars hard to one direction and went down. Rider error.

Look under the "Thomas Degent No Fan of Hookless" thread in Road. The incident video plus some discussion is there.

Last edited by seypat; 05-06-24 at 06:20 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-06-24, 10:03 AM
rando_couche

Liked 191 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The dude tried to do a 90 degree turn on a flat tire. He jerked his handlebars hard to one direction and went down. Rider error.
Except that, in the account I heard, Tadej requested a bike change before the corner and the DS said, "No, wait til after the corner." And in the video I saw, he was like "OK, I did what you said and I fell down. Now give me a new bike."
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 05-21-24, 07:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,966 Times in 2,288 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat

Look under the "Thomas Degent No Fan of Hookless" thread in Road. The incident video plus some discussion is there.
I think I read that Enve and Goodyear Tire have jointly developed a tire for their hookless rim. That's a big wow, for me. Needing a specific tire to 'guarantee' a safer ride. Hookless is not my thing.
Old 05-22-24, 04:54 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,186 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
it's concerning how quickly tubeless can deflate, though I've never had an instant loss of pressure.
At least they deflate much slower than tubed tyres in most cases. In this case Pog had been riding on the flat tyre for a while and was just caught out by the sharp turn.