Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Summer Bike Helmet

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Summer Bike Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 05:26 PM
MikeDeason

Liked 79 Times in 47 Posts
Summer Bike Helmet

I am rapidly discovering that although well-ventilated, my trusty black Giro Fixture absorbs excessive heat on afternoon rides.

I want a white or silver helmet for summer riding and have it down to a White S Works Prevail 3 unless there's some magic cooling helmet I passed over?
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 05-21-24, 07:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,234 Times in 2,831 Posts
My favorite helmet has been the Lazer Z1. Very very light and very well ventilated and extremely comfortable. Mine is black and blue and my new one will probably be similar but a lighter color could help. I know they had at one point cooling replacement for the liner which worked nicely in the couple times I used it. I would also recommend a nice cycling cap dipped in cool water that can help quite a bit and also keep the helmet cleaner.
Old 05-21-24, 07:37 PM
MikeDeason

The Lazer also looks good. I figure just going from black to white should help.
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 05-21-24, 09:59 PM
Camilo

Liked 1,284 Times in 819 Posts
I always wear white helmets, no difference for summer or winter. For visibility and less heat absorption from the sun.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-22-24, 01:43 AM
hidetaka

Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Oh look! A 3-page thread 'debating' the impact of helmet colour on temperature:
And on this forum no less.
TLDR: People here love arguing
Old 05-22-24, 04:24 AM
MikeDeason

I missed that ^.

Common sense (and science) dictates white will absorb less heat.
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 05-22-24, 04:58 AM
Ron Damon

Liked 667 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
I am rapidly discovering that although well-ventilated, my trusty black Giro Fixture absorbs excessive heat on afternoon rides.

I want a white or silver helmet for summer riding and have it down to a White S Works Prevail 3 unless there's some magic cooling helmet I passed over?
The Giro Fixture comes in a light grey, off white color too. I should know for I own one.
Old 05-22-24, 05:02 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,558 Times in 1,022 Posts
Abus Airbreaker - excellent air cooling, and very lightweight. Not going to get into debate if there's any proven value to MIPS but this helmet doesn't have it and am not bothered by that fact in the least.
Old 05-22-24, 05:03 AM
lawren dawson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My helmet's color is pearl and it's a reflective color, so it doesn't absorb heat. perfect for summer.
Old 05-22-24, 05:04 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,123 Times in 7,570 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I always wear white helmets, no difference for summer or winter.
+1. Who cares about the whole not wearing white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day convention?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-22-24, 06:10 AM
Koyote

Liked 11,390 Times in 4,864 Posts
Common sense (and science) dictates white will absorb less heat.
As far as whether wearing white is cooler, science actually dictates something rather different. You can Google it.
Old 05-22-24, 06:17 AM
big chainring 

Liked 751 Times in 358 Posts
On hot sunny days a damp cabbage leaf under the helmet keeps you cool.

Last edited by big chainring; 05-22-24 at 09:56 AM.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 05-22-24, 07:10 AM
hidetaka

Originally Posted by big chainring
On hot sunny days a damp cabage leaf under the helmet keeps you cool.
And you always have an emergency snack!
Likes For hidetaka:
Old 05-22-24, 07:56 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Liked 403 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
On hot sunny days a damp cabage leaf under the helmet keeps you cool.
Ah, you're old school! I remember in the late 1950's during a heat wave, Baltimore Orioles players were putting cabbage leaves under their caps to keep cool.
Old 05-22-24, 10:15 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Liked 619 Times in 427 Posts
In Southern AZ white with a bill. Hope you never do but if you have had a basal cell carcinoma remove you will have a bill with your sun screen.
Old 05-22-24, 10:32 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,112 Times in 3,121 Posts
Love my white Lazer Z1. Super light, good airflow and better visibility than a dark color. Won’t get into the color vs heat debate which will ultimately follow. But have to say the research surprised me.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-22-24, 02:44 PM
MikeDeason

It has been proven numerous times that black vehicles heat up faster and cool down slower than white or silver. This is one reason fleet vehicles are usually white.

don’t see why it wouldn’t apply to a helmet but perhaps it doesn’t.
Old 05-22-24, 04:35 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Liked 650 Times in 393 Posts
Not a lot of glass in cycling helmets.

I haven't done a scientific study, but I was swayed by the argument that all that foam between one's head and the shell makes the color a minor consideration. If I'm wrong, so be it. Also, I did the research Koyote mentions and recommend it. 'Science' ... 'scientia' ... 'knowledge'.

Last edited by philbob57; 05-22-24 at 04:41 PM.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 05-22-24, 04:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by hidetaka
Oh look! A 3-page thread 'debating' the impact of helmet colour on temperature:
And on this forum no less.
TLDR: People here love arguing
Yes but why was that brought up here. It wasn't the OP involved in that argument and to be fair the thread started in 2018 and got zombied in 2023 so technically 2 pages and then another one years later with I think almost if not all different people. Plus 3 pages in 5 years isn't much heck we can have 3 pages in a day. Also this is an online forum so kind of the whole point of this place is to talk about bikes and bike related topics of which helmets are one.

I mean complaining that an online forum is an online forum in an online forum is an odd one. I could understand if it came to blows and got shut down by the mods that is where arguing goes to far but a normal debate on cycling stuff is daily business for a cycling forum.

Also would not want to eat helmet sauerkraut. Not my kinda snack. Though pickles are delicious and pickle juice is phenomenal while riding but I will keep that off of my head thank you very much : )
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-23-24, 01:48 AM
hidetaka

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes but why was that brought up here. It wasn't the OP involved in that argument and to be fair the thread started in 2018 and got zombied in 2023 so technically 2 pages and then another one years later with I think almost if not all different people. Plus 3 pages in 5 years isn't much heck we can have 3 pages in a day. Also this is an online forum so kind of the whole point of this place is to talk about bikes and bike related topics of which helmets are one.

I mean complaining that an online forum is an online forum in an online forum is an odd one. I could understand if it came to blows and got shut down by the mods that is where arguing goes to far but a normal debate on cycling stuff is daily business for a cycling forum.
I linked it because I was seeing the same points being repeated pointlessly and the discussion was inevitably going into the same loop. As to the highlighted section, should I start next daily thread about disc brakes/tubeless/carbon or leave it to someone else? Why should I want this forum to be stuck in a Groundhog day loop of endless 'debates'? What if, and that's a crazy thought, we try to do a bit better instead of becoming a less popular version or Red-dit (which, hilariously, is a banned word here >.>)?
Old 05-23-24, 04:17 AM
Pratt

Liked 524 Times in 312 Posts
Far be it of for me to spoil everybody's enjoyment of a juicy internet argument, but people have actually studied the heat transfer/retention of bicycle helmets. Although I have not reviewed all the literature intensively, to seems that air flow and hair are bigger influences on heat retention than color.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-23-24, 06:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,868 Times in 2,968 Posts
Another old school is raw steak in the chamois. Now there's a snack!
Old 05-23-24, 09:48 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by hidetaka
I linked it because I was seeing the same points being repeated pointlessly and the discussion was inevitably going into the same loop. As to the highlighted section, should I start next daily thread about disc brakes/tubeless/carbon or leave it to someone else? Why should I want this forum to be stuck in a Groundhog day loop of endless 'debates'? What if, and that's a crazy thought, we try to do a bit better instead of becoming a less popular version or Red-dit (which, hilariously, is a banned word here >.>?
I can see that but it wasn't a heavy discussion on it, it was pretty short and over and then got briefly zombied and over but with different participants. It is one thing to have the exact same conversation re-hashed by the exact same people over and over but different people with different ideals even if similar is not really a Groundhog Day situation. However I thought Groundhog Day was a hilarious movie and need to re-watch it, it has been a looooong time. Better the movie be "Groundhog Day" then "Leprachaun 5: In The Hood". There are only so many topics in cycling that haven't already been hashed for decades but that is the fun to a degree so long as it isn't totally just the same people back and forth each time.

I think the reason the Redd is banned because they are also home to adult Triple X content not suitable for a bicycle forum. It might be frustrating but in the end makes sense because there isn't a separate site for that content it is all part of that so you either leave it all in and get the content you don't want or you filter it out completely and no need to worry. While probably a majority of the posters here are over 18 in actual physical age the ease of which we can devolve into pubescent or prepubescent creatures is easy (as I am sure the moderators can attest to, and to which I have never taken part )
Old 05-23-24, 10:06 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts

The prevail ROCKs for this, I'm as sweaty as it gets and it kills it in the Summer.
Old 05-23-24, 10:52 AM
KerryIrons

Liked 665 Times in 373 Posts

You are confused about the heat issue. Yes, the black plastic absorbs more heat than white plastic, but the foam of the helmet is a great insulator and combined with the wind blowing through, in a blind test you would not be able to tell the difference between a black or white helmet. We all want cooler helmets, but it is about ventilation, not color. Physics is phun.
Likes For KerryIrons:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.