Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-24, 02:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Liked 1,699 Times in 1,166 Posts
> 50 mi. and > 2,000 ft. elevation gain for the first time ever this morning.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-01-24, 04:51 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Liked 3,360 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
> 50 mi. and > 2,000 ft. elevation gain for the first time ever this morning.
congrats!
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-03-24, 12:05 AM
tigerdog

Bikes: Klein Reve X 2006, Klein Pulse 1986-ish, Vitus 979 1985, José Alvarez 1993

Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2seven0
Picked up a gallon of Chile Lime Pickle juice at the vendor booth for 20 bucks!
If anyone questions this being a Southern California thread, this line removes all doubt!

Last edited by tigerdog; 09-04-24 at 04:56 AM.
Likes For tigerdog:
Old 09-03-24, 01:57 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2022 Trek Supercaliber, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,957 Times in 4,199 Posts
Saturday...Montrose Ride (8:00, short). Speed in the first half of the was ride fast, but not nearly as ballistic as the week before. I felt comfortable with the few 30+mph surges. After the short/long split, the pace was energetic, but steady. I punched hard over the Winston climb, and had to dig deep to stay with the group in the chicane before Foothill. Heading uphill into SM, things got spicy, and I lost contact before the base of the final climb. Not my best day, but a good workout (46mi, 1400')

Sunday...MTB with a group of friends. The original ride plan was Lowe-Idlehour-Henninger, but the climb to Inspiration Point took way longer than planned (a disparity of climbing speeds in the group). We all agreed to return the way we came up, with the added fun of the upper part of Sunset Ridge Trail. It’s been 20+years since I’ve been on Sunset - that was a blast! I will be back again. Unfortunately, once back on the paved road descent, I over-cooked a corner, ended up against a bush, which yanked my handlebar hard, and put me on the ground HARD. It took me a while to get my body back under control, assess damage, and get going again. I’m thankful for my friends (a couple of them are HS coaches) who did a great job in helping me manage the situation, and I was able to finish the descent and ride home under my own power, including the final stretch of singletrack down to Chaney Trail. I’m scraped and bruised, and I think a couple of ribs might be cracked. It’s going to suck for a little while, but I’ll be okay. On first inspection, it looks like the only issue with my bike is a torn grip. I’m also going to need a new helmet. It doesn’t have major damage, but there are some ripples in the shell and foam. Other than the falling down part, it was a really nice ride with some good folks. (14mi, 3100')

Last edited by Eric F; 09-03-24 at 03:14 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 09-03-24, 02:01 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Liked 433 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Saturday...Montrose Ride (8:00, short). Speed in the first half the ride fast, but not nearly as ballistic as the week before. I felt comfortable with the few 30+mph surges. After the sort/long split, the pace was energetic but steady. I punched hard over the Winston climb, and had to dig deep to stay with the group in the chicane before Foothill. Heading uphill into SM, things got spicy, and I lost contact before the base of the final climb. Not my best day, but a good workout (46mi, 1400')

Sunday...MTB with a group of friends. The original ride plan was Lowe-Idlehour-Henninger, but the climb to Inspiration Point took way longer than planned (a disparity of climbing speeds in the group). We all agreed to return the way we came up, with the added fun of the upper part of Sunset Ridge Trail. It’s been 20+years since I’ve been on Sunset - that was a blast! I will be back again. Unfortunately, once back on the paved road descent, I over-cooked a corner, ended up against a bush, which yanked my handlebar hard, and put me on the ground HARD. It took me a while to get my body back under control, assess damage, and get going again. I’m thankful for my friends (a couple of them are HS coaches) who did a great job in helping me manage the situation, and I was able to finish the descent and ride home under my own power, including the final stretch of singletrack down to Chaney Trail. I’m scraped and bruised, and I think a couple of ribs might be cracked. It’s going to suck for a little while, but I’ll be okay. On first inspection, it looks like the only issue with my bike is a torn grip. I’m also going to need a new helmet. It doesn’t have major damage, but there are some ripples in the shell and foam. Other than the falling down part, it was a really nice ride with some good folks. (14mi, 3100')
Whoa - glad you're OK! Crashing sucks.

-Stupid hurts....ride safe

Old 09-03-24, 02:05 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Rode with a buddy for the first time in 40 years (He's now in San Diego area). Great route, great to ride with him again, even though I still can't keep up. 40 years ago we'd ride in the farm areas outside Idaho Falls. He'd be ahead 50-100 yards and wake up a dog sleeping on the porch of a house. Dog would wake up and chase after him, but never catch him. Dog would trot back toward the porch and I'd come along. Dog is now awake and halfway across the yard. Great sprint training! (Farm dogs have much, much better wheels than city dogs).

Likes For PromptCritical:
Old 09-03-24, 02:15 PM
jonathanf2

Liked 1,143 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Saturday...Montrose Ride (8:00, short). Speed in the first half the ride fast, but not nearly as ballistic as the week before. I felt comfortable with the few 30+mph surges. After the sort/long split, the pace was energetic but steady. I punched hard over the Winston climb, and had to dig deep to stay with the group in the chicane before Foothill. Heading uphill into SM, things got spicy, and I lost contact before the base of the final climb. Not my best day, but a good workout (46mi, 1400')

Crashing sucks! Neosporin on those scratches, Advil and a few beers should heal you up quickly!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-03-24, 02:20 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Crashing sucks! Neosporin on those scratches, Advil and a few beers should heal you up quickly!
Actually, my Doc told me neosporin causes scar tissue and slows down the healing. He recommended cleaning it up real well and coating it with Aquaphor. After 6 weeks of not quite healing, it healed in a week with Aquaphor. That was well after the risk of infection had passed.

Likes For PromptCritical:
Old 09-03-24, 02:21 PM
jonathanf2

Saturday, Sunday and Monday clocked in a total of about 73 miles on the gravel bike. Swapped out to an XD 10-42t rear cassette and I'm really digging the 10t cog. It allows me to pick up speed on the downhill and I'm able to pass up a few slow riding roadies on a 1x drivetrain while with a 38t front chainring.

Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-03-24, 02:24 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Saturday, Sunday and Monday clocked in a total of about 73 miles on the gravel bike. Swapped out to an XD 10-42t rear cassette and I'm really digging the 10t cog. It allows me to pick up speed on the downhill and I'm able to pass up a few slow riding roadies on a 1x drivetrain while with a 38t front chainring.
Yeah, that 10T cog makes a huge difference in gearing range. A 38x10T setup is almost as big a gear as we used to race criteriums with BITD (52x13).

Old 09-03-24, 02:26 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Actually, my Doc told me neosporin causes scar tissue and slows down the healing. He recommended cleaning it up real well and coating it with Aquaphor. After 6 weeks of not quite healing, it healed in a week with Aquaphor. That was well after the risk of infection had passed.
Both my elbows are so road rashed up from crashing, no amount of Aquaphor is going to cover up those cycling battle scars! On initial cleaning, I always bite onto something and disinfect the wound with hydrogen peroxide and alcohol. Better to be in pain for a few seconds than have it get infected!
Old 09-03-24, 02:30 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Yeah, that 10T cog makes a huge difference in gearing range. A 38x10T setup is almost as big a gear as we used to race criteriums with BITD (52x13).
I still prefer bigger chainrings for smoother drivetrain efficiency. With 1x in order to have decent low and high gearing, there needs to be some compromises made. Though I found I don't need to be in the 10t cog for very long. I'm now tempted to try a 9t cog!
Old 09-06-24, 02:12 PM
Gone in 60
Digging Bikes Again!

Bikes: Trek 930, Trek FX3, Electra Amsterdam, Electra Ticino

Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Another maiden voyage on the Santiago Creek trail. I had bought a pair of Electra Ticinos in rough shape a while back, and I rebuilt that beige one first for my wife. I started fiddling with the other one, which was a bit more beat-up - missing brake lever, fenders a bit more twisted up. Decided that if we were going to have "his and hers", they didn't need to match exactly, so I did this blue one up with shorty fenders and flatter bars to give it a more sporting look. Finished it up last night, and before Mother Nature closed the microwave door and hit the popcorn button, I got out on the trail and gave it a shake-down ride to fine-tune the gears and brakes.

Likes For Gone in 60:
Old 09-06-24, 03:46 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Liked 971 Times in 563 Posts
Road from El Dorado Park down to the Huntington Beach Pier. Left the house and 06:17 in order to beat the heat. It was a nice ride, fewer cars on PCH at that time.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 09-07-24, 12:53 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Liked 2,333 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Gone in 60
...before Mother Nature closed the microwave door and hit the popcorn button...
I heard it was almost hot there this week.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-09-24, 09:42 AM
Gone in 60
Digging Bikes Again!

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I heard it was almost hot there this week.
Yeah, but it's a dry heat. When you live in Arizona, triple-digits are part of the bargain. We don't deal with it as well. I work in a museum on weekends, and I was wondering if we'd see a spike in attendance over the weekend with people looking for indoor activities. Once the heat kicked in around noon, we were mobbed. I've been stir-crazy, and have been going out late at night to ride. Today's supposed to be the last day of this heat wave, and we're supposed to be in the high 70s by Wednesday, so I can start riding to and from work without stroking out.
Old 09-09-24, 10:18 AM
jonathanf2

Knocked out 23 and 26 miles this weekend. My lazy butt didn't wake up early enough so I left around 10am on both days. By noon, it was definitely in the 100s! By the time I start drinking my 2nd water bottle, it's like hot tea despite being filled with ice! On the bright side, I recently picked some lightweight 1100g disc wheels. The heat makes hill climbing more laborious, but the reduced rotational weight made it less painful!

Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-12-24, 02:29 PM
skidder

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1,680 Times in 1,145 Posts

California Earthquake Strikes Near Malibu, Felt Miles Away

I missed it as I was out on a bike ride! A pretty uneventful 30 miles, most of it on the Santa Ana River Trail.
Likes For skidder:
Old 09-12-24, 03:07 PM
Gone in 60
Digging Bikes Again!

Originally Posted by skidder

California Earthquake Strikes Near Malibu, Felt Miles Away

I missed it as I was out on a bike ride! A pretty uneventful 30 miles, most of it on the Santa Ana River Trail.
Huh. According to the news, the quake hit at 7:28. I would have been riding to work on the Santa Ana River Trail too, so I didn't feel it. But, my wife would have been home getting ready for work.
Now this is funny. Late last night we were shaken awake with rattling and a lot of noise. I went around the house to see what was going on. Turns out our next door neighbor, whose garage has an adjoining wall to ours, must have had a very badly balanced load of laundry going which was shaking the wall.

When I got to work, my wife had texted me saying the neighbors must have something wrong with their washing machine because she felt shaking again.
Likes For Gone in 60:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.