Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire stuck on rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire stuck on rim

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 04:21 PM
jesnow

Bikes: Pinarello Prince

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Tire stuck on rim [solved]

New-ish fulcrum rim, Pirelli P-zero tire. The bead of the tire is stuck so firmly to the hook of the rim that I can't squeeze it into the middle with my hands, and my plastic pliers did nothing. The bead is so stuck up into the hook that the tire lever won't wedge in between, I even tried jamming a flat screw driver and turning it, but that did nothing. It's not that I can't get the bead levered, it's that I can't get the lever between the bead and the rim at all. The air is all out of the tube. I've been changing tires for 50 years, easily thousands of them and never run into this.

What am I missing?
Jon.

Last edited by jesnow; 05-22-24 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-22-24, 04:59 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 2,952 Posts
Secure the wheel on the floor and mash the bead off with your heel.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-22-24, 05:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,976 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by jesnow
New-ish fulcrum rim, Pirelli P-zero tire. The bead of the tire is stuck so firmly to the hook of the rim that I can't squeeze it into the middle with my hands, and my plastic pliers did nothing. The bead is so stuck up into the hook that the tire lever won't wedge in between, I even tried jamming a flat screw driver and turning it, but that did nothing. It's not that I can't get the bead levered, it's that I can't get the lever between the bead and the rim at all. The air is all out of the tube. I've been changing tires for 50 years, easily thousands of them and never run into this.

What am I missing?
Jon.
That you've bought into the modern view of how bikes are dealt with... I wonder if a pair of Bicycle Research or Park tire seater pliers would help out. Andy
Old 05-22-24, 05:54 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Might try heating the tire with a hair blow dryer on high to see if it makes the tire more pliable. Have no idea if this will work, but nothing to lose by trying.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 05-22-24, 08:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5995 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,627 Posts
It shouldn't be this way, but sadly is.

Many years ago I had a tire that dry rotted and glued itself to the rim. Fortunately, I like oysters. My oyster knife* bailed me out. I tapped it in radially, then alternately twisted and advanced until I'd "cut" my way all the way around the rim.

*For those who don't know, oyster knives are pointy but dull, made for prying rather than cutting.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-22-24, 09:13 PM
jesnow

Bikes: Pinarello Prince

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Finally solved. That was a b*tch! In the end I used the "perch it on the edge of a 2x4 and stand on it" method, as recommended by youtube videos on how you change a car tire by hand. It seems that I am indeed failing to adjust to "how things are" in the modern world. It used to be that bike tires were engineered to be field-replaceable, but that is no longer true, at least not for road-tubeless. That's just how it is. They fit very tight on the rim, almost impossible to mount with regular tire levers, and you need compressed air to seat them. Once they're on they require special tools to unseat. Or a 2x4 and some patience. I'm sure I can make a press that will squeeze the bead off the rim (like you do for a car tire) by modifying an existing tool of some kind.

But just forget fixing a flat road tubeless tire in the middle of nowhere. Back in the day tires *had* to be field serviceable because there were no cell phones and the nearest pay phone might be miles away.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions!
Likes For jesnow:
Old 05-23-24, 04:33 AM
oldukbkr 

Bikes: '59 Rory O'Brien, 49/72 Holdsworth Trike, '66 Bates BAR, '74 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
I had this same problem with a newish tubeless rim at the co-op recently. Really difficult to break the seal with the rim. Turns out it was a square bead/bead hook which I had not seen before. Head mechanic with gorilla hands finally got it free for me. Then replacing it was a bit like a car tire, used lots of soapy water all around the rim and the air compressor and you could hear it snapping back into the bead hook as the air pressure increased. I learned something new but in no hurry to work on one of these again.
Old 05-23-24, 08:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6387 Post(s)
Liked 4,982 Times in 3,430 Posts
On tubeless rims there is usually a bump on the inboard side of the bead seat. Combined with rim tape overlapping it, I'm sure it makes for more difficult bead breaking and perhaps bead seating too in some circumstances.
Old 05-23-24, 08:53 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked 2,109 Times in 1,188 Posts
this is why I now often curse the tubeless world
Likes For t2p:
Old 05-23-24, 02:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3367 Post(s)
Liked 2,198 Times in 1,246 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
On tubeless rims there is usually a bump on the inboard side of the bead seat. Combined with rim tape overlapping it, I'm sure it makes for more difficult bead breaking and perhaps bead seating too in some circumstances.
It does indeed. That tubeless “ledge” is what helps a tubeless tire seat and hold air. Useless if using a tube. You have to make sure the bead of any tire is sitting in the middle channel when mounting or removing, tire will not go on or come off if your don’t do this. I like my tubeless systems, but the ledge design sure does make it a royal pain.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-23-24, 03:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6387 Post(s)
Liked 4,982 Times in 3,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
It does indeed. That tubeless “ledge” is what helps a tubeless tire seat and hold air. Useless if using a tube. You have to make sure the bead of any tire is sitting in the middle channel when mounting or removing, tire will not go on or come off if your don’t do this. I like my tubeless systems, but the ledge design sure does make it a royal pain.
You don't have to tell me why it's there. I guess you were using my comment as a segue.
Old 05-23-24, 03:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Iride01
You don't have to tell me why it's there. I guess you were using my comment as a segue.
Others might read the thread and wonder what it does. Yes, just adding to the knowledge base.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-23-24, 06:28 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 369 Posts
I've had my HED Ardennes+ wheels for 9 years. They are "tubeless ready", with a channel for the bead. When I pump up a new tire and the pressure reaches about 50-70 psi, the bead snaps into the channel with a loud, startling Pop! (the bead stayed in the channel on each of the few flats I've had -- way better than a tire that completely comes off the rim.)

The older Continental GP5000 tires were reasonably easy to unseat, pulling hard with my fingers over the top from the opposite side.
Mounting tires is pretty easy, with just one lever.

But in the last few years (maybe 4 years now?), the 5000 tires are very very difficult to get the bead starting to unseat.
Hair dryers worked last year. This year, I just couldn't get the tire off -- a stronger rider pulled it loose before one of our group rides.
There's no room to slide anything under the bead, like a putty knife or small screwdriver. They will damage the tire and/or rim and still not get under the bead.

It's still not hard to mount the tire. One Pedro lever, lifting less than an inch at a time, then slide it over slightly and repeat. That's fast and efficient.

Wood tools for tire bead removal.
Adapted from a youtube demo. (Another mechanic used one of those wood clamps that have two fat wood arms and two threaded rods to tighten them.) I have a couple of scrap wood pieces now, to try the next time. a 1x4 to rest the rim on, with the wheel laid flat on the ground. And a 15 inch 1x2 with the end sandpapered a bit rounder, to lay on the tire just above the rim, and use body weight to pop it loose. I haven't had to try this yet.
Old 05-23-24, 08:04 PM
Steve B.

The wheels on my new Emonda are Bontrager tubeless ready. When I installed some Conti GP5000 S TR tires, initially with tubes, they were a royal PITA to get onto the rims. I have one of those Kool Stop install tools which worked, but I don’t carry that on the road and pondered how to fix a flat. That pushed me to run tubeless, as the sealant at least helps prevent flats and then I (maybe) won’t need to put a new tube in,
Old 05-23-24, 10:04 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by jesnow
Finally solved. That was a b*tch! In the end I used the "perch it on the edge of a 2x4 and stand on it" method, as recommended by youtube videos on how you change a car tire by hand. It seems that I am indeed failing to adjust to "how things are" in the modern world. It used to be that bike tires were engineered to be field-replaceable, but that is no longer true, at least not for road-tubeless. That's just how it is. They fit very tight on the rim, almost impossible to mount with regular tire levers, and you need compressed air to seat them. Once they're on they require special tools to unseat. Or a 2x4 and some patience. I'm sure I can make a press that will squeeze the bead off the rim (like you do for a car tire) by modifying an existing tool of some kind.

But just forget fixing a flat road tubeless tire in the middle of nowhere. Back in the day tires *had* to be field serviceable because there were no cell phones and the nearest pay phone might be miles away.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions!
"...any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex..." as they say.
Old 05-23-24, 11:57 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Liked 1,875 Times in 1,041 Posts
I don’t know how it is on a Fulcrum wheel, but on a Mavic Crossroc wheel, there is a break in the bead ledge, right opposite from the valve hole:

^ You can see the bead ledge has been milled flat at this spot. This is where you start pushing the bead off the shelf. Pushing anywhere else is an exercise in frustration.
Old 05-24-24, 12:08 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5995 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,627 Posts
Clincher tires have improved greatly since i started riding tubulars in 67. I was getting fairly close to moving back to clinchers, but this, and so many other reports of mounting/discounting issues will prevent that.

I'm routinely way too far from home, and sometimes civilization on tours trade away field servicability.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.