Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When did cycling gloves go out of fashion?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When did cycling gloves go out of fashion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 03:08 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Ah yes, the dreaded "glove stank". I have conquered mine with the following method. After every ride:

While rinsing out my bottles in the kitchen sink, I remove my gloves and drop them in the sink, letting the water run on them. Then I give them a couple squirts of hand soap, smush them around for a few seconds, rinse throughly under the tap, and wring them out. Then I hang them in the water heater closet. Next day, they are dry without even a hint of "stank".
That happens with most any accessory not deemed clothing. Hats/caps, the pads in your helmet, the sports watch you wear, your sunglasses, etc, etc. I usually try to wash that stuff while I'm taking a shower
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-22-24, 03:09 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 573 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
That's not a center stand/kickstand - it's a crank arm. The low resolution of the photo makes it impossible to see details, but since pro bikes don't have kickstands, that must be a crank arm with the pedal angled downward, in line with the crank.

You probably meant to type "Batcycle" (or whatever it's called), not "Batmobile."
Yes I was joking, I know race bikes don't have kickstands. I also thought it should be a crank arm.

I recall from the first of Nolan's Batman series, while driving the Batmobile, Batman rotated from conventional sitting reclined, to some "battle mode" where he was on his stomach, head forward, which didn't make sense to me but looked cool. It wasn't until one of the later movies that the Batcycle separated from the Batmobile (a pretty good engineering trick in reality, whereas most of the other things in the movie, were more reality based).
Old 05-22-24, 03:21 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 573 Times in 462 Posts
"Stank" on anything: Normal washing works fine, but if less possible, a spray with dilute ammonia will often kill, it's a simple antibacterial. This is basically just window cleaner without any blue dye or a tiny bit of soap as a surfactant to make the liquid spread out and not ball up. I use dilute ammonia as a general purpose cleaner, 9:1 diution in a spray bottle, a bit higher concentration if needed. A couple sprays in sport shoes and leaving overnight can do wonders, sometimes you don't need to totally wet, the evaporating vapors also can work. For any carpet or upholstery cleaning, dilute ammonia is great, as it requires no separate rinsing, it just evaporates, whereas any kind of soap or detergent requires a lot of rinsing. I'll spray on spot, then wet larger area (for carpet I use a garden sprinkling can with hot water and some ammonia), then suck off with a wet vac (shop vac, cleaned out, filter removed). Spots that don't clean, hit with a stronger cleaner (like citrus cleaner for drops of oil from bike). Usually I buy the lemon-scented ammonia at the big-box home/construction store, dirt cheap, like$1.50 for a gallon IIRC. Always check small hidden spot to make sure cleaner is safe for what you are cleaning.
Old 05-22-24, 03:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,636 Posts
In my racing days I made a conscious effort to remember to not let go of the handlebars until after I hit the road. But after that, glove leather was nice sacrificial stuff to have.

The pros now and gloves? Some (both pros and amateurs) never liked gloves. Some never go without. Many follow the trends. Gloves will come back. Someone will figure out an advertising angle and reap the growing market. Get their gloves on a rider who's seen. The benefit of gloves in crashes will never go away.
Old 05-22-24, 08:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked 1,991 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
He probably wishes he had worn gloves at this point.

Yeah, never ever, ever put your hands out like that when you go down. Holding onto the bars in his case not possible, but tuck and roll! Most of the guys I ride with have that tell-tale broken collar bone bump from doing approximately this.

One of the riders in my group was a no-gloves guy. You know, one of those riders who just never goes down, right? But then he did, and right in front of me and did put his hands out. It's fine thing until it isn't.
Old 05-22-24, 10:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 6,105 Times in 3,115 Posts
Pedantry alert: "callus," not "callous" (i.e., uncaring disregard for others).
With his gloves off, the Grammar Police busts yet another. No one is safe out there, so mind your Ps and Qs boys and girls.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-23-24, 03:05 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked 3,227 Times in 1,843 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
With his gloves off, the Grammar Police busts yet another. No one is safe out there, so mind your Ps and Qs boys and girls.
As George Carlin said, everyone who cares less about grammar than I do is an idiot, and everyone who cares more than I do is a maniac.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-23-24, 04:17 AM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 54 Posts
I like gloves because I use white bar wrap. It keeps the wrap cleaner for longer. Just wash your gloves frequently. Also, they are great for wiping sweat off your brows.
Likes For EJM73:
Old 05-23-24, 05:10 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yeah, never ever, ever put your hands out like that when you go down. Holding onto the bars in his case not possible, but tuck and roll! Most of the guys I ride with have that tell-tale broken collar bone bump from doing approximately this.
Very few people (including pros) would crash often enough to reliably make conscious decisions like this. Unless you are a stuntman crashes are very unpredictable one-offs with no guarantees and very little conscious thought processing.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-23-24, 05:25 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked 3,227 Times in 1,843 Posts
Very few people (including pros) would crash often enough to reliably make conscious decisions like this. Unless you are a stuntman crashes are very unpredictable one-offs with no guarantees and very little conscious thought processing.
Another guy on Bike Forums said that if he raced, even in the Pro Tour, he'd easily avoid crashes because he'd once taken a motorcycle handling course.
Old 05-23-24, 06:36 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 161 Posts
Another guy on Bike Forums said that if he raced, even in the Pro Tour, he'd easily avoid crashes because he'd once taken a motorcycle handling course.
And I could kick his ass because I watched a couple episodes of Walker Texas Ranger.

Crazy that this topic popped up - a few of us were talking about this last week. Right now, my finger is bandaged (stitches) and I can't get a glove on. So, I'm riding without gloves. Even in the cool temps, the morning dew and humidity makes the bar tape feel slick. In the summer, the sweat makes it even more slick. For me, it has nothing to do with protecting my hands when I crash and everything to do with keeping a comfortable grip and NOT crashing.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 05-23-24, 07:58 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 143 Posts
I only wear gloves when riding in cold weather.
Old 05-23-24, 08:47 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked 1,991 Times in 1,417 Posts
You're right - no conscious processing. Google "training by watching". Our DNA is a lot smarter than most folks realize. This goes all the way back to knapping flints. If we watch someone do something, our "shadow fibers" learn the activation sequence so that we can do the activity ourselves for the first time and succeed. We can also train these fibers by imagining ourselves doing that thing. Performers do this all the time. It works. I've done that for falling, training myself to do the right thing by imagining myself falling as I rode. The first time I ever fell, I went down with my hands on the bars, landed on my shoulder and pressed my helmet into the pavement to take some of the weight of my shoulder as I slid on the asphalt. Needed a little Tegaderm but no other damage. Same thing with my other couple of falls. No damage. "Tuck and roll" works and you don't even have to practice it on mats in the gym, though that does help. I've also fallen onto concreter from a scaffold. No damage, same thing.

Strongly advised for everyone.
Old 05-23-24, 09:21 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked 2,109 Times in 1,188 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
I only wear gloves when riding in cold weather.

I’m at the other end of the scale - always wear gloves and most times full finger gloves (even on hot days)

possibly because I’m accustomed to wearing gloves / full gloves on a motorcycle

often wear the gloves pictured above - $7 per pair …good inexpensive glove … available on Amazon and eBay … when they get trashed or smell I throw them away and move on to the next pair
Old 05-23-24, 09:30 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 1,173 Times in 445 Posts
With a background in motorcycle riding/racing, wearing gloves just feels natural to me. That being said, I'll sometimes go gloveless on shorter rides...no really good reason, I'm just trying to address the tan lines at my wrists. My identity as a smug cyclist means I take pride in my tan lines at the sleeves, however, even I think the wrist line looks weird.
Old 05-24-24, 01:13 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 486 Posts
My oval tan spots with the tan freckles on my knuckles were a fashion statement in high school.

In my mind, at least. ;-)
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 05-24-24, 02:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10659 Post(s)
Liked 12,327 Times in 6,308 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
That happens with most any accessory not deemed clothing. Hats/caps, the pads in your helmet, the sports watch you wear, your sunglasses, etc, etc. I usually try to wash that stuff while I'm taking a shower
So, you get into the shower wearing your helmet, gloves, sunglasses, watch, etc, but no clothes? That must be a sight.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-24-24, 07:56 PM
ArgoMan

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts
May 3, 2003. A guy named Frank from South Jersey started the trend.
Likes For ArgoMan:
Old 05-24-24, 09:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Fredo76
My oval tan spots with the tan freckles on my knuckles were a fashion statement in high school.

In my mind, at least. ;-)
Reminds me of the original cycling gloves. I sported ovals on the back of many hands for years.

Old 05-24-24, 09:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by genejockey
So, you get into the shower wearing your helmet, gloves, sunglasses, watch, etc, but no clothes? That must be a sight.
Don’t need that visual.

Old 05-24-24, 10:01 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts
Can’t wait until helmets get dumped…..who needs em…..
Old 05-26-24, 07:20 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 57 Posts
I ride in the Florida heat. Those times I’ve forgotten to put my gloves on I’ve regretted it - sweaty hands makes for an uncomfortable slippery grip on the bars and hoods. Also, when I ride my 70s bike with skinny high pressure tubular tires, I like to wipe the tires while I’m riding with my gloved hand after going through a gritty patch of road. And then there’s that hand protection thing in case of a crash or fall (it’s happened).
Old 05-26-24, 08:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by jadmt
Fortunately they are UCI mandated.

Last edited by rsbob; 05-26-24 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Had to change spelling before the Police bust me again.
Old 05-26-24, 08:31 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Fortunately they are UCI mandated.
the racers need a stronger union.....
Old 05-27-24, 03:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
How would it affect your personal choice if the pros did stop wearing helmets? I presume you don’t wear a helmet anyway.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.