Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Powermeter choice (and questions regarding magene)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 03:22 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts

I'm searching for a powermeter but also I don't want to break the bank.
The product that took my interest are:
  • Magene pes p505 299.99 euros
  • Favero Pedals Powermeter Assioma Uno 409.99 euros
  • INPEAK POWERCRANK-E for Ultegra r8100 (my currently crank) at 389 euros
THe magene seems the more accurate, I can keep the currently bottom bracket and chainring, also seems pretty valid for the future in case I want to put on another bike. But I'm not sure about it, the inpeak seems not so accurate with the 2% tolerance and also the installation time seems quite long (I had to ship and wait).
Also I'm not sure regarding the pedals, I came from keywin and wahoo pedals but those types I never tried even once.
For me the pedals are less worth since they request even more maintenance...

Has anyone tried the magene?
Do you think will be a wrong choice?

​​​​
Old 05-23-24, 04:39 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 778 Posts
I've used the Magene rear light/radar for a year and it has been excellent.
Old 05-23-24, 05:37 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I've used the Magene rear light/radar for a year and it has been excellent.
YEa that's why I'm interested, the brand looks very good and improved a lot since it came out.
Probably they are going to became another big Chinese brand soon
Old 05-23-24, 06:13 AM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
I have a P505 Base on order and have done extensive research. I am willing to take a chance. The direct swap w/ Shimano definitely help and the fact that I can use my own chainrings.
Old 05-23-24, 06:17 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 468 Posts
The pedals can be moved from bike to bike - for me that is a big advantage over crank based products.
Old 05-23-24, 06:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3270 Post(s)
Liked 1,811 Times in 1,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
The pedals can be moved from bike to bike - for me that is a big advantage over crank based products.
Yeah, that’s why I have Assioma Duo. I’ve been using them for years, and reliability has been excellent; I maybe replaced bearings once, but it only takes about 15 minutes so I don’t even remember. Cleats wear out, too, but I move the Assioma across a few bikes, so that versatility (and consistency in the numbers) is supremely valuable to me.
Old 05-23-24, 06:58 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
I have the Magene, so does my wife. Love it. Prior to this I used 4iii and Stages. Absolutely excellent product.
Old 05-23-24, 08:17 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
As long as the BB is compatible, moving a crank-spider-based PM is simpler and faster than moving two pedals (if you have the right wrench): there's only one fastener to undo and tighten, rather than two. But in either case, we're talking a difference of maybe 90 seconds for replacing a crank spider PM and maybe 3 minutes for replacing two pedals, so the difference is pretty unimportant.

Here's a video of my friend swapping a spider-based PM (in this case, a Quarq, but others are similar):
Likes For RChung:
Old 05-23-24, 09:07 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 1,173 Times in 445 Posts
I have the Favero Assioma Duos (w/Shimano pedal bodies) and I'm totally happy with them. They seem fairly accurate and just work without any issues. Unlike my Garmin pedals for my MTB and gravel bike, that require use of a torque wrench to even get somewhat accurate readings.
Old 05-23-24, 10:30 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 442 Posts
How much maintenance did you read that PM pedals need? I've never done anything other than change the batteries on my PowerTaps and have used them on multiple bikes since 2018.
Old 05-23-24, 11:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by RChung
As long as the BB is compatible, moving a crank-spider-based PM is simpler and faster than moving two pedals (if you have the right wrench): there's only one fastener to undo and tighten, rather than two. But in either case, we're talking a difference of maybe 90 seconds for replacing a crank spider PM and maybe 3 minutes for replacing two pedals, so the difference is pretty unimportant.
I don't know about that...but if so, that's assuming one keeps their other bike(s) sitting around without cranksets *and* that the crankset you want to swap is set to your front derailleur *and* is compatible with that derailleur *and* that the crankset you want to swap is the crankset you want on the other bike. That's a lot of stuff that needs to line up in order for a crank swap to be easier than pedals! I just use different pedals for different occasions, and have bikes that use different length cranks, 1x and 2x chainsets, standard, mid, and compact chainsets... There's no way crank swapping would work for me, and certainly not faster or easier than pedal swapping.
Old 05-23-24, 11:46 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by surak
How much maintenance did you read that PM pedals need? I've never done anything other than change the batteries on my PowerTaps and have used them on multiple bikes since 2018.
Somewhere someone said that pedal must be disassembled every 6 months.
But now thinking I do almost the same maintenance on my speedplay.
Old 05-23-24, 11:46 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
I have the Favero Assioma Duos (w/Shimano pedal bodies) and I'm totally happy with them. They seem fairly accurate and just work without any issues. Unlike my Garmin pedals for my MTB and gravel bike, that require use of a torque wrench to even get somewhat accurate readings.
Interesting that I can use Shimano body, what are the advantages?
Old 05-23-24, 01:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
It’s just a cleat compatibility thing. The Favero pedals are only compatible with Look cleats.
Old 05-23-24, 01:13 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I don't know about that...but if so, that's assuming one keeps their other bike(s) sitting around without cranksets
Ah. I had not realized that you keep your other bikes around without pedals and you only have one single set of pedals that you use for all your bikes. In that case, nevermind.
Old 05-23-24, 03:23 PM
CrowSeph

Update.
I've done some comparison with the weights.
My currently pedals are the wahoo that's weight 334g (cleats included).
The assioma (1Pm/1normal) Weight on total 345g.
That's not an huge weight penalty compared to the 50g of the crank set spider of the magene. Also seems hard to find any lightweight alternative to the currently Ultegra r8100 chainrings.

Plus swapping the assioma pedals body with the Ultegra version will reduce 77g for pair.
If I done my calculations right seems super good for a weight pov.

This made me overthinking more haha

​​​
Old 05-23-24, 03:31 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 3,200 Posts
Update.
I've done some comparison with the weights.
My currently pedals are the wahoo that's weight 334g (cleats included).
The assioma (1Pm/1normal) Weight on total 345g.
That's not an huge weight penalty compared to the 50g of the crank set spider of the magene. Also seems hard to find any lightweight alternative to the currently Ultegra r8100 chainrings.

Plus swapping the assioma pedals body with the Ultegra version will reduce 77g for pair.
If I done my calculations right seems super good for a weight pov.

This made me overthinking more haha

​​​
I wouldn’t sweat those kind of weight differences. Actually you could sweat 50g just thinking about it 😂
Old 05-23-24, 04:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by RChung
Ah. I had not realized that you keep your other bikes around without pedals and you only have one single set of pedals that you use for all your bikes. In that case, nevermind.
Ha! Well that’s not quite the case, but is closer to reality than the notion that I have bikes sitting around without cranks and only have one single crankset to share between them!
Old 05-23-24, 04:32 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2824 Post(s)
Liked 3,422 Times in 1,793 Posts
Longtime powertap user that went to Favero Duo so I could have power on race wheels, especially in TT. The Faveros are great. The only maintenance I do is remembering to charge them. The charge lasts a while. They read a few percent lower than my powertap, and a few percent lower than my Saris Hammer H3, but really that doesn't matter as long as they are consistent. I'm a fan 5/5 stars and I will never go back to powertap.
Old 05-23-24, 04:33 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2824 Post(s)
Liked 3,422 Times in 1,793 Posts
I do swap them between three bikes (2 road bikes 1 TT bike) which is sort of annoying. I'm considering a dedicated crank-based PM for my daily driver TCR so that it's just ready to throw a leg over and ride all the time. I swap the pedals at least once a week and I'd rather not have to do that,
Old 05-23-24, 09:20 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 1,173 Times in 445 Posts
For me, it was to not introduce another pedal system into my quiver. I already had a couple pairs of Shimano SPD style pedals across a couple of different road bikes, so it made sense to get the Faveros that came as a spindle only. The Faveros really only get used on 1 of my road bikes, as my other has a 4iiii crank arm power meter.

It depends on the rider, but the Faveros with the Shimano pedal bodies can either be a positive or negative. They have an increased stance width/Q-factor compared to standard Shimano pedals or the Faveros with the Look-style pedals. Standard pedals are too narrow for me, so that was a benefit in my case.