Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Zipp 404 rear wheel failure

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 01:22 PM
hugh ashworth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. Hi all, I had a problem with my Zipp 404 rear wheel this week.
  2. when climbing a steep hill, near the top I lost drive completely.
    never had an issue before. I couldn’t get and drive going up hill or when pressure applied to the pedals it just pushed through with no traction. Don’t think it is the freehub, it feels like something has stripped.

any ideas? Have i posted this in the right place?
Old 05-23-24, 02:01 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 197 Posts
Suggest you post it to "Bicycle Mechanics" subforum instead. Does the gear cluster turn when you turn the pedals?
Old 05-23-24, 02:10 PM
hugh ashworth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cranky old road
Suggest you post it to "Bicycle Mechanics" subforum instead. Does the gear cluster turn when you turn the pedals?
yes it does turn when i apply pressure with bike stationary
Old 05-23-24, 02:13 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 197 Posts
Probably is a faulty or gunked-up ratchet mechanism in the freehub then, but folks on the Bicycle Mechanics subforum are likely to have more expertise than I.
Old 05-23-24, 06:09 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked 6,852 Times in 3,918 Posts
Thread moved from Introductions to Mechanics.

Old 05-23-24, 06:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5995 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,627 Posts
Freewheel ratchets are binary. They tend to either engage solidly or not engage at all. However some freehubs don't use ratchet systems. Some designs, like roller clutches, can hold at low loads and slip at higher loads.

That said, I doubt it's a slipping freehub clutch. If you only experienced this once when climbing, it's possible that the particular sprocket has cut through the freehub body and caused the problem.

Otherwise, ir might be where the freehub attaches to the shell.

I'd start by pulling the cassette and examining the splines, both freehub body and sprockets. If they're OK, I'd improvise a torque test by, for example, protecting the FH body, and turning it with a large pipe wrench.

The results will point you in the right direction.
Old 05-25-24, 03:44 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by hugh ashworth
  1. Hi all, I had a problem with my Zipp 404 rear wheel this week.
  2. when climbing a steep hill, near the top I lost drive completely.
    never had an issue before. I couldn’t get and drive going up hill or when pressure applied to the pedals it just pushed through with no traction. Don’t think it is the freehub, it feels like something has stripped.

any ideas? Have i posted this in the right place?
Not sure how it could be anything but the freehub. Pawl spring failure comes first to my mind, but it could be that the pawls are so gunked up they won't engage. That is not likely as things would have to be really gunky. Pull the cogs off the freehub and then remove the freehub from the wheel. Things should be pretty obvious at that point. You MIGHT be able to find a pawl spring, but most likely only source would be Zipp.