Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 08:24 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Liked 934 Times in 543 Posts
Helmets

For an average rider like myself (300 - 400 miles a month), is a $300 helmet going to make that much of a difference over a $82 helmet? What exactly are the advantages of the $300 helmet? They are both rated highly. My guess is the ventilation? For the record I've never owned a helmet that cost over $110.
Old 05-23-24, 09:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,016 Times in 3,450 Posts
No, the independent testing of helmets for protecting your head has shown that there are ones that protect well and those that don't protect as well at all the different price levels.

Regardless, I'll believe that between all of them whether rated good or bad, they protected well enough. So get what you want. Or look up what some of the better rated helmets are and choose from them. Though the independent testing is a little behind and won't have some of the newer models included in their most recent tests.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-23-24, 09:22 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 596 Times in 449 Posts
It's all to answer with that level of detail. What's the exact brand and model of each? What exactly are you looking for, ventilation, aero gains or a mix of the two? And are they both MIPS?
Old 05-23-24, 09:32 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,229 Times in 3,227 Posts
The more expensive helmets are usually lighter and have better ventilation and or aero. Protection ratings vary independently of price to some extent. Fit is King with helmets and again the more expensive helmets often have more sophisticated fit adjustment systems. But you might find that a cheaper model just happens to fit your head better.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-23-24, 09:48 AM
NVFlinch 

Liked 125 Times in 57 Posts
(Said in my best fake New Jersey accent) Wassa matter, you got a cheap head?

Do yourself a favor and consider safety and helmet rating first. I did and got a highly rated helmet for not that expensive. Check out the Virginia tech helmet safety ratings at: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html

Be SURE your new helmet has MIPS.
Likes For NVFlinch:
Old 05-23-24, 10:41 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Liked 1,721 Times in 1,107 Posts
Just get that head covered. Helmets are a disposable item. One fall, one hit, one knock around and ya trash um. Spending allot of money on a helmet would probably cause you to keep a helmet that should be disposed of.

If you dont have a helmet then get one. A decent WarMart helmet can be had for 20 USD. Even in California.

I am not a mandatory helmet guy. But I am still around because I wear a helmet...

By the way, I have a big head and this one fits: Amazon: Bike Helmet, Basecamp Bicycle Helmet with Rear Light & Detachable Magnetic Goggles Lightweight Cycling Helmet
Old 05-23-24, 10:45 AM
seypat

Liked 2,585 Times in 1,536 Posts
Try to find last year's model of the helmet you choose on clearance.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-23-24, 10:51 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Personally I found that spending around $150.00 gets you MIPS plus light weight plus lots of ventilation.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 05-23-24, 08:31 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
My guess is the ventilation?
Pretty much. Aerodynamics and fashion/brand reputation are also factors. Living in the San Fernando Valley I'll spend a bit more for ventilation, but sometimes ignorance is bliss when almost every helmet available today is better ventilated than the one I had 30 years ago.
Old 05-23-24, 09:38 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Liked 1,725 Times in 784 Posts
A $20 helmet saved my noggin. My new helmet was five times that, has better ventilation and looks cooler.
Old 05-23-24, 11:34 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Liked 2,133 Times in 1,124 Posts
I had to borrow a helmet for a ride recently; it was a Lazier with more vents than my helmet. But what I really appreciated was the better sightline from how it sat on my head. When down on the drops, I didn't have to tilt my head quite so much to see down the road. That was a real quality of life enhancer on a 300km ride.

Just saying, vents and looks aren't the only thing that matter.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-25-24, 05:39 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Liked 1,575 Times in 1,090 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The more expensive helmets are usually lighter and have better ventilation and or aero.
This is generally true but the level of ventilation afforded by a $300 helmet still cannot match that of the Ram Air helmet shown below:

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 05-26-24 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Redaction
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-25-24, 06:38 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Liked 620 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by NVFlinch
(Said in my best fake New Jersey accent) Wassa matter, you got a cheap head?

Do yourself a favor and consider safety and helmet rating first. I did and got a highly rated helmet for not that expensive. Check out the Virginia tech helmet safety ratings at: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html

Be SURE your new helmet has MIPS.
As NVFlinch posted worth the review if you value your head.
Old 05-25-24, 07:09 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Liked 934 Times in 543 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Basically it boils down to Safety rating, style and weight. You pick the price.
Old 05-25-24, 08:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Thanks for all the input. Basically it boils down to Safety rating, style and weight. You pick the price.
Style and weight for sure. the Va Tech stuff is, IMO, a bunch of marketing hoopla with inconclusive test methodologies.
Old 05-25-24, 11:51 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Liked 1,599 Times in 569 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure it fits and is comfortable. Different people have different shaped heads. I found Smith helmets fit me well but cant tolerate a Bontrager for a second.

I recently purchased a Kask cause I wanted something not made in China (there are very few) and I love it. Expensive, but extremely comfortable and the ventilation is far better than any other helmet I've tried. I had a 20% coupon that made it easier to justify.

As someone else mentioned, look for sales on discontinued models or less popular colors.
Old 05-25-24, 02:56 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Style and weight for sure. the Va Tech stuff is, IMO, a bunch of marketing hoopla with inconclusive test methodologies.
What do you think Virginia Tech is marketing? You may question their test protocols, but they appear to be independent and not selling any helmets.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-25-24, 02:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Thus Sy Reene begat the VA Tech. x MIPS conspiracy.
Old 05-25-24, 03:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,712 Times in 1,955 Posts
I deleted my "Where's the popcorn" comment but I am keeping an identical version ready ..... this could go nowhere ... but it could be a good one.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-25-24, 03:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

What do you think Virginia Tech is marketing? You may question their test protocols, but they appear to be independent and not selling any helmets.
They're not selling helmets, but they're surely selling something

Old 05-25-24, 04:06 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Do you feel the same way as you do about VA Tech.'s bicycle helmet testing about, for example:

1. The Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS-HLDI)?
2. Underwriter's Lab (UL Solutions)?
3. The Michelin Guide (MICHELIN Restaurants – The MICHELIN Guide)?
4. Moody's Ratings (Ratings.Moodys.com/ratings-news)?
5. Energy Star ratings (Homepage | ENERGY STAR)?

And if you answer yes to all of the above, are there any certification or ratings entity that is not selling something?
Old 05-25-24, 04:13 PM
Koyote

Liked 11,447 Times in 4,886 Posts
You’ve offered an insinuation, but no evidence to suggest that the ratings are not valid. You haven’t even given a speculative suggestion of how Virginia Tech would profit from publishing invalid results.

It’s fine to not understand how university research works… All the protocols, checks and balances, and etc that are in place to ensure it’s validity. But when you post this sort of nonsense on the Internet, you really only embarrass yourself.
Old 05-25-24, 04:27 PM
PeteHski

They appear to be encouraging helmet manufacturers to exceed the minimum safety standards by competing for their highest ratings, which can only be positive. A bit like Euro NCAP vehicle crash test ratings.
Old 05-25-24, 04:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

They appear to be encouraging helmet manufacturers to exceed the minimum safety standards by competing for their highest ratings, which can only be positive. A bit like Euro NCAP vehicle crash test ratings.
Are you sure there's no licensing fee to use their logos and star ratings?
Old 05-25-24, 04:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Koyote
You’ve offered an insinuation, but no evidence to suggest that the ratings are not valid. You haven’t even given a speculative suggestion of how Virginia Tech would profit from publishing invalid results.

It’s fine to not understand how university research works… All the protocols, checks and balances, and etc that are in place to ensure it’s validity. But when you post this sort of nonsense on the Internet, you really only embarrass yourself.
If we get into the test protocols, and how these originally came out when MIPS was being introduced, there are simply in my mind, more questions than answers.
MIPS' selling point, is primarily I believe based on reducing concussion incidence from rotational impacts, with the MIPS liner providing some rotation give that can prevent that. However, then why have a test protocol that eliminates all of the pre-existing mitigators of rotational impact when testing a helmet, such as:
1. Humans (most) have hair.. this moves
2. Humans have necks, the heads on top of them bend and rotate
3. Humans have a scalp/skin -- which slides a bit over the cranium underneath
4. Humans often wear helmet liners or thermal caps for sun protection and/or insulation in cold weather.

Rather, the test protocol is strapping a helmet strongly to a somewhat tacky, hard, and bald immovable head form. Given that Va Tech at least for other sports, seems to actually test those helmets with bendable neck forms, this seems very strange. With VaTech's test methodology, it does support MIPS, as it MIPS does introduce a slip plane to a test object that has none of the normally naturally-occurring ones that aleady exist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.