Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do You Carry Books?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Do You Carry Books?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 06:40 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 312 Posts
Do You Carry Books?

When on tour, do you take reading material along?
Old 05-22-24, 06:51 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 182 Posts
I take a Kindle.
As far as books go, rarely unless it is something that doesn't render well e.g. a Lonely Planet guide when the black & white Kindle edition is poor but reading material uses the Kindle.
Old 05-22-24, 07:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,096 Times in 7,558 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
i take a kindle.
+1.
Old 05-22-24, 08:08 PM
Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1.
+2 Kindle all the way. Books are toooooooo heavy

DA
Old 05-23-24, 12:17 AM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 417 Posts
I take the Kindle app on my navigation device, my smartphone.
Old 05-23-24, 12:31 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 465 Posts
Have you seen Platoon (1986)?
Old 05-23-24, 12:43 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 111 Posts
No, but not primarily because of the weight, but typically at the end of the day, when I normally read, I am so knackered from riding all day, that I’m happy if I can make food before heading off to the Land of Nod 😴
Old 05-23-24, 03:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Typically no. But on my last tour with an old friend, on past tours there were times he needed a full day of rest, so my last tour with him a year ago brought two. Read one and a half. No for next tour which is solo.

If I am wind bound for a day or two and start to get bored, I may hunt for some wifi and try to find out what is going on in the world.
Old 05-23-24, 03:39 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 488 Posts
I used to until I found audiobooks to be a suitable alternative.
Old 05-23-24, 04:25 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Dark Arrow
+2 Kindle all the way. Books are toooooooo heavy

DA
Heh. BITD I lugged For Whom the Bell Tolls around Andalucia for much of my 7 week tour. I felt compelled to tear out and toss pages I had read.
Old 05-23-24, 04:30 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 54 Posts
I always have a paperback with me. Only weighs a few ounces and you can trade them out everywhere.
Old 05-23-24, 04:37 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 570 Posts
I carried paper backs in the distant past. I have also carried a kindle. More recently I have been more likely to just listen to audiobooks. If I want to on a whim I can alway pick up a paperback along the way, but it seems to pretty much never happen.
Old 05-23-24, 12:04 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
I take the Kindle app on my navigation device, my smartphone.
I have a Kobo, which uses similar e-ink as kindle. The experience with it is better than with a smart phone. The screen is bigger and there's no flicker that you'd get from the constant refreshing of a led screen.

Also the kobo is waterproof so taking it to a bathtub is not a problem.
Old 05-23-24, 12:40 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 6296 Post(s)
Liked 4,332 Times in 2,428 Posts
Heh. BITD I lugged For Whom the Bell Tolls around Andalucia for much of my 7 week tour. I felt compelled to tear out and toss pages I had read.
“For Whom the Bell Tolls” isn’t particularly long. The Iliad is about a bit longer (580 vs 460 pages) and I didn’t feel like even that was very long. It was a loooooooooooooong read but not that large a volume.

Yea, I carry actual an actual book. Just one. I pick up something else when I finish one. Depending on the book, sometimes I blow through them in a couple of days.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-23-24, 01:56 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cyccommute
“For Whom the Bell Tolls” isn’t particularly long. The Iliad is about a bit longer (580 vs 460 pages) and I didn’t feel like even that was very long. It was a loooooooooooooong read but not that large a volume.
My version was large and heavy. It was before the days of UL books.

Today’s paperbacks are really light. I’d take one on a week long trip if it weren’t for the fact that I have old man eyes and need the backlight of my Kindle to read even before dark. I got tired of burning through headlamp batteries reading for hours.

It’s been one of the hardest things I’ve had to accept about aging. I used to have great vision, especially at night. While I was in prep school I was usually on point when we snuck around in the woods to party because I could see any potential trouble well before my friends.
Old 05-23-24, 02:33 PM
str

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 255 Posts
again?

I talk to locals
Old 05-23-24, 04:09 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 54 Posts
I got tired of burning through headlamp batteries reading for hours.
These little collapsable/packable solar tent lanterns make perfect reading lights.
Old 05-24-24, 04:05 AM
staehpj1

It’s been one of the hardest things I’ve had to accept about aging. I used to have great vision, especially at night.
Are you a candidate for cataract surgery? For many it restores vision to as good or even sometimes better than what it was in their youth. I remember my mom having great eyesight in her 80s and into her 90s after her cataract surgery. After seeing her results back then I looked forward to when I was ready for the surgery. Now at almost age 73, I am hoping for good results from my upcoming cataract surgery. The doc claims my eyesight should be excellent post op.

Maybe something to consider if you are a candidate for cataract surgery.
Old 05-24-24, 05:23 AM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I have a Kobo, which uses similar e-ink as kindle. The experience with it is better than with a smart phone. ....
The experience of carrying no additional weight or bulk is better.
Old 05-24-24, 06:44 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
The experience of carrying no additional weight or bulk is better.
There are trade offs. The display on the phone isn't as nice and it requires a lot more battery usage which may be an issue depending on where and how you tour. I never found reading on the phone app particularly satisfactory, but it is lighter since you are likely carrying a phone regardless. I can see it as an great option if you can read it comfortably and charging isn't a big issue. For me it was a fail. I may or may not change my mind about the phone display for reading after my cataract surgery. The battery issue will remain though.

For me it is more likely to be an audiobook app so the battery usage is much less with no need to have the display on.
Old 05-24-24, 08:08 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 6296 Post(s)
Liked 4,332 Times in 2,428 Posts
My version was large and heavy. It was before the days of UL books.
So you were touring in 1841? That's when paperbacks were invented. Of course, in 1841, the weight of the book would have been minor compared to the bicycle of that era.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-24-24, 08:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Are you a candidate for cataract surgery? For many it restores vision to as good or even sometimes better than what it was in their youth. I remember my mom having great eyesight in her 80s and into her 90s after her cataract surgery. After seeing her results back then I looked forward to when I was ready for the surgery. Now at almost age 73, I am hoping for good results from my upcoming cataract surgery. The doc claims my eyesight should be excellent post op.

There are several reasons for loss of night vision with age. So don't get your hopes too high. You have three years on me. That said, you could end up with great daytime vision afterwards.

I am trying to delay cataracts as much as I can. When I go outside, I always have some form of glasses on to reduce UV, even on overcast days I will be wearing something on my eyes. Ten years ago my ophthalmologist told me cataracts were probably ten years away. Now she predicts five more years.

I got laser treatment (PRK) nine years ago, and had 20/20 for a while, but now am wearing glasses again for distance when I drive although I am legal to drive without glasses.
Old 05-24-24, 08:53 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
There are several reasons for loss of night vision with age. So don't get your hopes too high. You have three years on me. That said, you could end up with great daytime vision afterwards.
My night vision is actually pretty good. I trail ride with a helmet mounted headlamp and do fine. Night driving I have some glare issues, but they aren't that bad. Strangely, my glare issues are more of a problem riding in the early morning low angle sunlight. I do have a bit of loss of contrast in low light.

My cataracts are at a 2 and a 3, so ready for surgery, but could wait if I wanted to. It does seem like the change gets faster as time goes on and I definitely noticed a bigger change in the year that lead up to my decision to get the surgery. One eye went from a 2 to a 3 in that year and kind of confirmed my impression. The doc seemed inclined to take my lead on the decision with no particular push as to just how soon to go ahead. The real deciding factor was when I got to the point where I come around corners on the trail in the early morning and be completely blinded by the glare.
Old 05-24-24, 09:38 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cyccommute
So you were touring in 1841? That's when paperbacks were invented. Of course, in 1841, the weight of the book would have been minor compared to the bicycle of that era.
I invented bike touring.

I mean today’s paperbacks are noticeably lighter than they were 25 years ago. I’ve actually done some comparisons with older ones I have.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-24-24, 09:41 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by staehpj1

I have one small one. I’d prefer to not have anyone cut into any part of my eyes if I can help it. My body had undergone more than its share of cutting, especially recently.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.