Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

If I eat, I will want to eat more....

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 11:43 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Liked 3,079 Times in 1,902 Posts

Everybody knows that one of the challenges in weight management is between-meal eating. Also, for many of us, having a snack leads to another snack and another....

Some of you have great self-control or follow very regimented diets, which avoid this pitfall. For me, if I am not vigilant, I can fall deeply into this trap. Irrespective of whether the snack is a "good" and "well-earned" snack or not, if I go to the kitchen to eat something, I very well might end up eating 3 things. Or 4.

For me, intermittent fasting (discussed at length in other threads) helps with this - particularly in avoiding late-evening eating. Another strategy that also works for me is to have that "good", "well-deserved" snack just before I leave the house, so that afterwards the temptation is not accessible. And a third, when the thought of eating something occurs to me, is simply to tell myself

"If I eat, I will want to eat more".

I find this a great aid to limiting between-meal snacking. It reminds me that having that first thing won't satiate me, but rather will make me want something else even more strongly.

(There are those who point the finger at carbohydrates this way - saying that they stimulate people's appetite, but I find it could be any food - nuts, plain yogurt, you name it - that can send me down a path I want to avoid.)

YMMV
Old 05-24-24, 11:50 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Liked 3,095 Times in 1,545 Posts
eating/

comes down to if having that spare tire around your waist or under your saddle suits you.
Old 05-24-24, 11:54 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,234 Times in 3,230 Posts
I find the best strategy is to not have snack food in the house. If it’s not there then you can’t eat it!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-24-24, 11:56 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by '02 nrs
comes down to if having that spare tire around your waist or under your saddle suits you.
Not so. I have nothing near a spare tire around my waist. To all appearances, I am extremely thin. yet, at times I get 5 or 8 lbs. above my ideal fastest riding weight and it is work to get those last few pounds off.

Some people reading this subforum would like to lose a lot of weight. Others are quite trim, but are still concerned with managing their weight.

Like I said, YMMV
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-24-24, 11:57 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I find the best strategy is to not have snack food in the house. If it’s not there then you can’t eat it!
True. But not all of us live alone and it's more difficult to make that decision for others.
Old 05-24-24, 01:55 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Not so. I have nothing near a spare tire around my waist. To all appearances, I am extremely thin. yet, at times I get 5 or 8 lbs. above my ideal fastest riding weight and it is work to get those last few pounds off.

Some people reading this subforum would like to lose a lot of weight. Others are quite trim, but are still concerned with managing their weight.

Like I said, YMMV
Same here. Losing those last few kg can be hard work. My BMI naturally hovers around 23 and getting down to 21 takes some discipline for me.
Old 05-24-24, 01:57 PM
PeteHski

True. But not all of us live alone and it's more difficult to make that decision for others.
I know what you mean. My wife is lucky that she can eat unlimited snacks without putting on weight. Fortunately she usually eats them all before I get a look in!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-24-24, 06:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,004 Times in 1,423 Posts
I have some powdered drink stuff, BCAAs, electrolytes, an OK flavor. Oddly, if I have a tall glass of this stuff, I'm not hungry for an hour. ~5 Cal. My other tactic is to have a handful of walnuts, about an ounce. Both choices, blood sugar stays steady, no impulse to eat more. Some years ago, I'd snack with a slice of bread and cheese. Opposite effect, made me hungry.
Old 05-27-24, 11:11 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,419 Times in 6,353 Posts
For me, there are two aspects to this that run counter to each other. My self-discipline around food is like an on/off switch. I can't eat just a little. If I have a pint of ice cream, I'll either not eat it at all or I'll eat the whole thing in one sitting. When I was dropping 30 lbs, back in 2020/2021, I simply didn't buy snacks, so it wasn't an issue. Now it's more of a problem because family members keep buying snacks. So I have to exercise discipline again.

The other aspect is that I've found if I ride after work - which is really the only time I reasonably can ride, midweek - if I don't eat something between 3 and 4, my performance suffers and I don't enjoy the ride as much. So I'm trying to find the right sort of snack to eat at about 3 or so, while not providing myself with so much snack food at the office that I start pigging out randomly.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-27-24, 03:36 PM
RH Clark

Liked 519 Times in 290 Posts
Everybody knows that one of the challenges in weight management is between-meal eating. Also, for many of us, having a snack leads to another snack and another....

Some of you have great self-control or follow very regimented diets, which avoid this pitfall. For me, if I am not vigilant, I can fall deeply into this trap. Irrespective of whether the snack is a "good" and "well-earned" snack or not, if I go to the kitchen to eat something, I very well might end up eating 3 things. Or 4.

For me, intermittent fasting (discussed at length in other threads) helps with this - particularly in avoiding late-evening eating. Another strategy that also works for me is to have that "good", "well-deserved" snack just before I leave the house, so that afterwards the temptation is not accessible. And a third, when the thought of eating something occurs to me, is simply to tell myself

"If I eat, I will want to eat more".

I find this a great aid to limiting between-meal snacking. It reminds me that having that first thing won't satiate me, but rather will make me want something else even more strongly.

(There are those who point the finger at carbohydrates this way - saying that they stimulate people's appetite, but I find it could be any food - nuts, plain yogurt, you name it - that can send me down a path I want to avoid.)

YMMV
Are you actively trying to lose weight? A very low carb diet, so low as to keep insulin very low will virtually eliminate cravings. It won't happen though with just a few days eating low carb. High carb diets will drive hunger because of the insulin needed. You can drop weight on either depending on calories burned VS calories consumed, but you will be hungrier on the high carb diet, especially when exercise is added. You could get your fasted insulin tested to see if you would benefit from this strategy.

If, however, you are super fit and would like to lose just a few pounds. to look like a movie star, then you may not want to limit carbs so much as to hinder max performance. I might suggest slower absorbing carbohydrates that have less glycemic impact. A large baked potato without all the butter and cream is quite satisfying and still relatively low calorie, better yet sweet potato.
Old 05-28-24, 12:54 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Are you actively trying to lose weight? A very low carb diet, so low as to keep insulin very low will virtually eliminate cravings. It won't happen though with just a few days eating low carb. High carb diets will drive hunger because of the insulin needed. You can drop weight on either depending on calories burned VS calories consumed, but you will be hungrier on the high carb diet, especially when exercise is added. You could get your fasted insulin tested to see if you would benefit from this strategy.

If, however, you are super fit and would like to lose just a few pounds. to look like a movie star, then you may not want to limit carbs so much as to hinder max performance. I might suggest slower absorbing carbohydrates that have less glycemic impact. A large baked potato without all the butter and cream is quite satisfying and still relatively low calorie, better yet sweet potato.
Thanks, but I wasn't looking for advice. There are times when I want to drop a few pounds, and it takes some discipline to do that.

Also, I cannot live with a very low carb diet. If I do, I don't have the power and stamina I need on long hard rides. This time of year, I'm 14-16 hours/week on the bike. Can't do centuries without carbs.
Old 05-28-24, 12:57 AM
MinnMan

To those who are responding to the OP posting about carbs and stuff, sorry, but that's not me. This isn't about carb cravings, at least personally. If I start eating, I am tempted to eat more, and it isn't about carbs. Plain yogurt, a handful of nuts, etc. Low carb foods have the same effect on me.

But to be clear, I was telling people what WORKS for me. I wasn't asking for help.
Likes For MinnMan: