Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mixing Components, DA BB and Ultegra crank...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 09:59 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts

Hey all. I was going to get a new Shimano R9100 BB (Dura Ace), but I have a new Ultegra R8000 crank. Are they compatible? Maybe I should just get the Ultergra BB?

Also, in researching this issue on the Google machine, I learned that Shimano had a recall on Ultegra and Dura Ace cranks? WTH was wrong?
Old 05-23-24, 10:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
It should work fine. If you want to upgrade consider Kogel for Ceramic or my general go to of Wheels Manufacturing. However if you are just replacing DA is fine

Yes they recalled some older cranks for a few delimitation issues. Basically keep an eye on your cranks if they fall into the recall and if something is awry they will send you a new one. So far my old 6800 cranks are just fine and I haven't made plans to replace them yet and haven't noticed issues and I am not a small rider. However that doesn't mean much because it is purely anecdotal and I have a bunch of bikes and haven't ridden that one in a while but have had the cranks since 2016 I think maybe before.
Old 05-24-24, 06:54 AM
ArgoMan

Thanks, Vegan (I just noted the "Clark W. Griswold" name...best Christmas movie of all time!) The crank is new and Shimano has a guide online to determine if it's one of the affected cranks. If so, they'll replace it.
Likes For ArgoMan:
Old 05-24-24, 08:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6393 Post(s)
Liked 4,989 Times in 3,434 Posts
You should note that there are some differences among the speed groups. 12 speed Shimano road cranks have a chain line of 44.5 and 11 speed cranks are 43.5. Just a Benson&Hedges silly millmeter longer thing. But for older versions of the groups that have fewer speeds will be even more difference.

The chain rings between the 3 groups, 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace will interchange, but color, finishes and the profiles might not quite match if you worry about how they look.

And you can always go to these documents if you want to see what Shimano has to say.....

https://productinfo.shimano.com/en
Old 05-24-24, 10:05 AM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by Iride01
You should note that there are some differences among the speed groups. 12 speed Shimano road cranks have a chain line of 44.5 and 11 speed cranks are 43.5. Just a Benson&Hedges silly millmeter longer thing. But for older versions of the groups that have fewer speeds will be even more difference.
This is a concern of mine. I'm setting up a TT bike. To that end, I didn't want to go larger than a 10-speed cassette. Following that thinking, I purchased a Tiagra 4700 RD. It's designed for 10-speeds. I was going to go with a 105 5701, but I think the Tiagra will work out better for me. BUT, my Ultegra crank is advertised as an 11-speed. I don't think it will be a problem though. I plan on switching it out to a 1x. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!
Old 05-24-24, 10:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6393 Post(s)
Liked 4,989 Times in 3,434 Posts
I've no idea what might be the big concerns on a TT bike. However if precise shifting is one of them, then I'd keep all the major components from the same group and same version number of that group. But that's mainly because my days of wanting to experiment are long gone and over with. Perhaps mixing any of the groups together won't make that big a deal. But since I can't know for certain, ergo the advice on not mixing them.

Chain line of the crankset are fixed. But they are based on the expected position of the rear cassette of the same speeds the crankset is made for. Your build on that bike along with the wheel you select might have that cassette with a different chain line that is better or worse. Essentially... try it and see.
Old 05-24-24, 02:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Liked 1,571 Times in 1,087 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Hey all. I was going to get a new Shimano R9100 BB (Dura Ace), but I have a new Ultegra R8000 crank. Are they compatible? Maybe I should just get the Ultergra BB?
Both Dura Ace (BB-R9100) and Ultegra (SM-BBR60) bottom brackets would work with an Ultegra FC-R8000 crank, but they require different installation tools because their respective external cups are different sizes.
Old 05-24-24, 03:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22771 Post(s)
Liked 9,169 Times in 4,253 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Both Dura Ace (BB-R9100) and Ultegra (SM-BBR60) bottom brackets would work with an Ultegra FC-R8000 crank, but they require different installation tools because their respective external cups are different sizes.
Good point. Also annoying as it seems Shimano changes the size or spline pattern on their BB’s too often for my taste. I keep having to buy a new tool or a POS plastic converter. I can’t understand why.

But yeah, the spindle should fit ok.
Old 05-24-24, 03:38 PM
ArgoMan

Thanks all. I think I'll just get the Ultegra. I can't imagine that the DA BB will give me any significant advantage anyhow. Save myself the trouble!
Likes For ArgoMan:
Old 05-24-24, 06:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Liked 1,571 Times in 1,087 Posts
Thanks all. I think I'll just get the Ultegra. I can't imagine that the DA BB will give me any significant advantage anyhow. Save myself the trouble!
The BB-R9100 is most likely at least a whole gram lighter for not much more money. I chose it (over the SM-BBR60) for my CAAD4 build because its smaller external cups have a shorter diameter than the tube that forms the bottom bracket shell, which looks better than the other way.
Old 05-24-24, 07:23 PM
ArgoMan

Guys (and gals), bad news! The Ultegra crankset I have is defective! I got it "barely used" for a great price, and it clearly has some delamination. I'll see if I can address it with Shimano directly.
I have a new FC-RS510 crankset. It's kinda sharp looking with a glossy finish. Compact, 165mm. It was never subject to recall. In fact, I've read that it was produced in response to the recall issues. It seems very strong, but it's somewhat heavy. I'm thinking about using it on my build. It's marked as an 11-speed. Will it be compatible with my Tiagra 4700 (10 speed)? I'll only be using the RD in friction mode, if that makes any difference. If not, I can just jump for a new crank. I'm likely to convert the RS510 to a 1x anyway.
Old 05-25-24, 03:13 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4645 Post(s)
Liked 5,180 Times in 3,201 Posts
I have a new FC-RS510 crankset. It's kinda sharp looking with a glossy finish. Compact, 165mm. It was never subject to recall. In fact, I've read that it was produced in response to the recall issues.
This is not true, although it is true that it wouldn’t be affected by the recall. This is basically a cheaper version of the 105 crankset, which is also unaffected by the recall.
Likes For PeteHski: