Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tipping mechanics

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tipping mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 06:35 PM
LarrySellerz

Liked 493 Times in 357 Posts
Bought a pizza for them when picking up my bikes today, was a bit messed up from riding it in but they were thankful.

I think the shoeshine boys liked the aristocrats who tipped them more than those that didn’t.. not to suggest a similar class dynamic is going on here.

I actually enjoy working for tips, it feels like I have an actual stake in the business, and my performance directly impacts my income. Working in food where I didn’t get tips was much more demoralizing than working for tips. There isn’t an incentive to care about doing a good job
Old 05-24-24, 05:18 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,107 Times in 1,875 Posts
“Don’t fry bacon while naked.”

Best tip I ever got.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-24-24, 08:55 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
While I don't have shops do a lot of work, I can't recall ever meeting the person who actually worked on my bike.
I don't tip my auto mechanic who has a lot more training and tool investment. I didn't tip the installers of my new windows/furnace/A/C. Who again have extensive training and tooling. I have offered water, soda, ice etc to these people.
No one ever tipped me for repairing the water main break.
Old 05-24-24, 09:00 AM
smd4

I never received a tip as a bike mechanic. Never expected one. Never made a lot of money, but as a bike mechanic, but I never expected to. I was just happy with the shop discount. I knew if I wanted more money, I'd have to take a different career path.

Isn't that the way this was supposed to work?
Old 05-24-24, 09:06 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
6 pack of beer or energy drinks depending on preferences.
Food gift cert would also be nice.
Using LBS supports those jobs and rewards show extra appreciation.
Old 05-24-24, 11:37 AM
kcjc

Liked 53 Times in 38 Posts
When I was wrenching, a part-time summer job, beer o'clock on Fridays after closing was always welcomed. We have a few regulars that would drop off goodies. Besides drinks, one was a coffee roster and would drop off those that didn't make the grade but were fine to consume. If you appreciate their work, why not show it?
Old 05-24-24, 11:51 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by kcjc
If you appreciate their work, why not show it?
Does being a repeat customer not show appreciation?
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-24-24, 12:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,961 Times in 1,642 Posts
Eons ago a bartender friend explained how one of the hardest parts of his job was comping drinks.

It's good business to comp drinks for special occasions, or once in a while for a favored regular. But you need to be careful because if done too often it can become expected. Then instead of being appreciated for the drink you comp, you're resented for the one you don't.

It's the same way with tipping your mechanic. Unexpected tips are a lagniappe and appreciated as such. The expectation of tips is a curse that eventually defines the relationship.
Old 05-24-24, 02:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That's not a tip, it's a service charge.

The key difference is that a service charge is fixed and mandatory, while a tip is variable at the discretion of the patron, and voluntary even if customary.
FWIW, I've started to see restaurants in the US adding in a service fee now.
Old 05-24-24, 04:40 PM
kcjc

Liked 53 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Does being a repeat customer not show appreciation?
It depends. What drives the bottom line, and who's to benefit the most? Of the three shops I worked in college, I cannot say any of them are owned directly or indirectly by the "help." That includes the campus shop owned by the student union, which, theoretically, I was a part owner as a student and taxpayer of the state but the regents make all the decisions. Those "permanent" workers at the other two shops had no direct stake. The same goes for the shops I have interacted with since starting this sport in the mid-80s. I haven't met one owner who also wrenches, but I live, went to school, and grew up in the top 30 MSA of the US, so there is a lot of territory in between that operates under different business environments. The "LBS" I'm used to, those who wrenches are paid a set hourly wage corresponding to an agreed-upon level of effort, labor. A repeat customer doesn't influence that equation unless that is the tipping point for a shop to exist or to justify the position. FWIW, there were repeated customers that we dreaded.
Likes For kcjc:
Old 05-24-24, 05:21 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Liked 1,725 Times in 1,109 Posts
Come On Larry...

Bike Shop? We Don't Need No Stinking Bike Shop! ...Ha

Old 05-24-24, 05:28 PM
ScottCommutes

Liked 323 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Unexpected tips are a lagniappe.
Had to look that one up.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 05-24-24, 05:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Had to look that one up.

You give those if they work on your French bike.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-24-24, 09:18 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,961 Times in 1,642 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
You give those if they work on your French bike.
They wouldn't get it. It's a Creole word, commonly used in New Orleans, with no connection to French.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-25-24, 08:53 AM
RH Clark

Liked 519 Times in 290 Posts
I will usually bring a box of pastry for the guys or a 6 pack if I know them well and it's close to the end of the day. Same for my auto mechanics and barber.
Old 05-25-24, 09:11 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by kcjc
I haven't met one owner who also wrenches...
That definitely wasn’t my experience. In two of the three shops I worked at, the owners wrenched too.
Old 05-25-24, 09:46 AM
mattkime

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I always tip if I feel the mechanic went above and beyond OR, on occasion, I feel like the charge is ridiculously low for the value provided. While I'm sure they appreciate the money, I think its more about expressing value. Its always been well received.
Old 05-25-24, 04:57 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Liked 223 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
He is cool as hell and definitely deserves more than a Coca Cola. He wasn’t asking for cocain surely right?
Chef's kiss, great work as usual Larry.
Old 05-26-24, 01:15 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Liked 318 Times in 241 Posts
For perspective, I'm a career mechanic. I get tipped somewhat infrequently. I don't consider it a normal expectation in my region, but it's nice sometimes. I prefer this to jobs where it's either a normal expectation (most foodservice) and in my experience a semi-regular expectation that adds up to real income (ski instructor). Mostly it feels appropriate for additional care and thoughtfulness. Think of it as a personal thank you when you feel so inclined rather than part of normal part of the business transaction. I get tipped in beer a lot. This is fine for me--I drink most beer, but if you want to tip in this manner check in that the mechanic you're tipping actually drinks (and drinks beer or whatever). I've known a few mechanics who regularly got tipped in beer who didn't drink. Honestly I most appreciate it when people tip me in cash, or maybe homemade cookies etc. I can buy beer with cash if I want, or I can use it to provide for my family etc. Also if you have usable/desirable parts left over from a repair and have no intention to use or sell them, you could offer them to your mechanic--many of us have hoarding tendencies for bike gear (I know I do).

Also, like it or not, online reviews have a lot of impact these days. A positive review explicitly mentioning an employee can be really helpful for the business, and can reflect positively on the employee in the eyes of the employer. It also feels really nice, to be honest.

Pizza is a nice touch. I suspect it was appreciated (unless they're all vegans). I would welcome more pizza tips.
Likes For cpach:
Old 05-28-24, 10:27 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Liked 646 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Never tipped but was known to drop off a six pack of Fat Tire now and then
This.
In a shop I worked at cash tips were pooled and referred to as the beer fund.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506: