Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Many Years Cycling. How many crashes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 05:06 PM
scared_cyclist

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well

Let's have a survey. Please copy the 4 questions below and answer them:

How many years have you been cycling?
How many crashes?
Describe each crash.
What lasting injuries did you get?

For example:

How many years have you been cycling? 4 years.
How many crashes? 2 crashes.
Describe each crash. 1 minor crash with a pothole. Second crash was fairly serious where I hit a pothole and did not see it. Thrown from the bike and almost broke my thumb. Helmet
tapped the ground, and I was dizzy for a few minutes afterwards.
What lasting injuries did you get? Thankfully none.
Old 05-24-24, 05:17 PM
HectorStorm

Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
How many years have you been cycling? 3
How many crashes? 4 crashes, all happened within the last year.
Describe each crash.
1: Shoelace got caught on pedal, fell off slowly uphill onto grassy verge
2: Crashed into man playing cricket on a path
3: Crashed into curb on fast road, handlebars went 180, flew off onto grass verge at speed
4: Crashed due to overspeed on gravel path turn, bike went over on right side

What injuries did you get?
1: Brambles impaled forearm
2: No injuries
3: Broken arm, smashed in face, sprained wrist/hand
4: Grazed hands, crushed chest, sprained hand

I decided to list all injuries than just major ones.
Old 05-24-24, 05:24 PM
bboy314

Liked 1,095 Times in 546 Posts
It strikes me as odd that you visit Bikeforums just to share your hysteria at the dangers of riding a bike.
Old 05-24-24, 05:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,924 Times in 2,987 Posts
A&S, please.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-24-24, 05:45 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Liked 949 Times in 470 Posts
My worst injuries came from…

drumroll…

yep…

assploding carbon fiber.

cant be true according to bike forums experts!!!
Old 05-24-24, 05:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
Alcohol related or non alcohol related?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-24-24, 05:55 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Liked 1,971 Times in 886 Posts
Well, mine have been...

*WHUMP* *SPLOMP*

"Don't answer the questions! You'll jinx yourself!"

"But what if I don't believe in jinxes?"

"Do you want to find out... the hard way?"

Hmmmm... I'll pass on answering.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-24-24, 06:01 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,715 Times in 1,957 Posts
I have been riding for .... 58 years? 55 or so in traffic .... Waaaay too many crashes.

First off dirt bike crashes are in a different category because off road I sometimes try to conquer obstacles which are a little beyond me .....

On the road .... the smarter I got, the less I crashed. The more I crashed, the smarter I got.

Then I got clipless pedals and fell over a few times.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-24-24, 06:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,271 Times in 2,851 Posts
scared_cyclist STOP seriously stop. Cycling is not generally dangerous. People ride their bikes daily all over the the world with no crashes and no issues. The number of issues people have in comparison to the ones they don't have is a tiny tiny tiny number. Yes you could have any number of hypothetical situations happen. You could ride and a piano could fly off the back of a truck and hit you in the face, it is not likely to happen in any situation but you could come up with all sorts of stuff like that and let fear control you. Don't do that.

Get out and ride if you want to ride, the more you worry the more likely you will be to have issues. Don't worry, just ride. Be situationally and spatially aware as you should be generally in all facets of life but DO NOT let it just turn to fear just keep it as awareness and be smart with it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-24-24, 06:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,715 Times in 1,957 Posts
I got a bike and the first time I rode it I crashed fatally.

Don't Ride Bikes.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-24-24, 06:46 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Liked 2,361 Times in 1,141 Posts
I've been cycling long enough that I probably don't remember all the incidents I've had, but they most likely can be counted on one hand. I did have a minor spill about a year ago that resulted in a broken wrist, and at my age, I damn sure I don't heal well.

Old 05-24-24, 06:58 PM
13ollocks

Liked 231 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by scared_cyclist

How many crashes?
Describe each crash.
How many years have you been cycling? ~50 years
Describe each crash. 1981 - hit some gravel on a descent, took significant skin off shoulder. 1988 - JRA and hit the ground for reasons unknown. Walked to local ER with scalp wound, kept in overnight with suspected concussion. Bought my first helmet soon thereafter.
What lasting injuries did you get? Some scarring on arm and shoulder.
Old 05-24-24, 07:05 PM
HectorStorm

Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

Don't Ride Bikes.
But was the bike ok?
Likes For HectorStorm:
Old 05-24-24, 07:16 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Liked 272 Times in 160 Posts
I have been riding for .... 58 years? 55 or so in traffic .... Waaaay too many crashes.

First off dirt bike crashes are in a different category because off road I sometimes try to conquer obstacles which are a little beyond me .....

On the road .... the smarter I got, the less I crashed. The more I crashed, the smarter I got.

Then I got clipless pedals and fell over a few times.
This is pretty much my story, timeline and all, probably written in more detail than I would’ve included. I will say I bleed more when I bounce off pavement than the dirt.

edit..Did I mention the two cracked helmets?

Last edited by Wileyrat; 05-24-24 at 07:36 PM.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 05-24-24, 08:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,119 Times in 3,124 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
It strikes me as odd that you visit Bikeforums just to share your hysteria at the dangers of riding a bike.
Insufficient evidence to substantiate claim of hysteria. Objection overruled.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-24-24, 08:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

them:

How many years have you been cycling? Started at age 5 and crashed a lot then. As a dedicated (non-serious) cyclist, 40 years.
How many crashes? As a mountain biker, more than I can count, but one serious crash into a tree. As a road biker, 2 crashes.
Describe each crash. Descending single track at speed did not react quickly enough to avoid upturned stump tree root. On road bike, was taken out at speed by another cyclist whose rear wheel slipped on wet railroad tracks, taking out my front wheel. Slipped about 30 feet in the wet. The other was being forced into a curb by a car and luckily landing on grass.
What lasting injuries did you get? Took about 8 months to rehab my shoulder which struck the tree. The road bike slide only involved painful showers for a week or so. Uh, grass stains?

Old 05-24-24, 08:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
Road bike, maybe 4 crashes in 35 years, one a wipe out in a turn on a wet road, another as a collision with another cyclist on a MUP, then a cyclist cut me off on the NYC Century, broke a rib on that one, then a car left hooked me, that was a very long time ago.

I’ve had many more crashes in a mt bike,

No major injuries, other then a rib and other rib injuries, banged the crap out of my back once when I hit a tree.
Old 05-24-24, 08:46 PM
bboy314

Liked 1,095 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Insufficient evidence to substantiate claim of hysteria. Objection overruled.
Exhibit A:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-thoughts.html
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-24-24, 08:50 PM
badger1

Liked 1,240 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by scared_cyclist

How many crashes?
Describe each crash.

For example:

How many years have you been cycling? 4 years.
Describe each crash. 1 minor crash with a pothole. Second crash was fairly serious where I hit a pothole and did not see it. Thrown from the bike and almost broke my thumb. Helmet
tapped the ground, and I was dizzy for a few minutes afterwards.
What lasting injuries did you get? Thankfully none.
What is your point? What do you hope to accomplish by means of this informal 'survey'? Anyone on here who has been cycling actively for more than a few years will have had a few incidents, some major, some minor. So what? Thinking of your previous thread, are you still having an internal debate as to whether you should be riding a bicycle or sticking to 'running'?
Old 05-24-24, 09:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by bboy314
Objection sustained.

Old 05-24-24, 09:37 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Liked 1,894 Times in 1,077 Posts
Cycling for a long time: 1 crash, broken shoulder, 5 surgeries to fix it, some lasting damage with nerves being close to the bone and surface of the shoulder.

Motor_cycling.... also a long time, too many to count as most was while doing motocross, some roads, broken bones here and there, but nothing major.

Old 05-24-24, 09:50 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Liked 272 Times in 160 Posts
Our buddy Lance Armstrong once said if you we’re afraid of falling off your bike, you’d never get on it in the fist place.

Or something like that.
Old 05-24-24, 10:17 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Liked 1,742 Times in 993 Posts
OK. Entertaining the idea that the guy with the name "scared cyclist" is actually scared and trying to rationalize an irrational emotion founded in a lack of real world experience with which to form a more informed risk assessment:

How many years have you been cycling? Since kindergarten...41 years.

How many crashes? 3.

Describe each crash.
1) Unleashed dog from a negligent owner leapt up from the side of a gravel path to attack my front tire. It succeeded. As it had a firm grip on my front wheel its head twisted around as my front tire drove over it's neck at 21 mph. It was carried up to the fork crown and wedged itself between the front tire and the frame. The sudden deceleration sent me over the handlebars. I tucked and rolled to find an irate Karen screaming in my dazed face about her dead dog. A week worth of tank tops and nasty stinging showers followed. Head imprint inside of helmet. $60 well spent. New clear plastic display window covers for the shift levers set me back a dozen dollars or so.

2) My front wheel left the paved path edge at speed. (23mph) Bike went right, body carried left. 6 foot stripe of shoulder skin on pavement. Broken helmet. Couldn't talk or think right for a week. Again, Tegaderm, stinging showers & $60 well spent.

3) I was cruising along the local MUP at my usual 20-ish mph. When I came across a family so I slowed to the speed limit as I passed the Mom & Dad calling out "On your left" loudly and forcefully several times. Ahead was a 7-9 year old on a razor scooter. I was coasting, moved to the extreme left, slowed and to about 12mph and covered the brakes when I realized he was non-responsive to my repeated calls. Suddenly in the instant before I was to pass, he decided to make a 90 degree left turn directly in front of me. I was already covering the brakes as I used my last inch of pavement on the left side of the path doing my level best to pass in a safe and appropriate manner. We collided at about 7 mph. He was knocked down, I went over the bars. I stood up & apologized to the displeased parents who rightfully took the blame for their child's action. The kid was fine; more shocked than anything. The parents got a real life lesson on trail ettiquette. I.E. "All trail users keep right." The braking forces combined with the sudden stop put a crack in the paint of the OEM carbon fork at the crown to carbon leg junction on the brake caliper side.From then on the OEM fork was kind of squirrelly when I used the brakes firmly. So I used it as an excuse to upgrade.

What lasting injuries did you get? None.

It should be noted that in every single incident I grasped the bars firmly and stayed with the bike until forces beyond my control forcefully separated us. In every instance the Shimano SPD pedal cleats unclipped exactly as they should and I came to a rest next to the bike.

OP: Learn how to brake emergency style. Learn how to "shove around your gyroscopes" and any dangerous situation can be avoided. From there, you need to ride long enough and often enough to form a habit of anticipating the actions of others. This means developing an active brain and being fully engaged in the activity.

Bicycles are not dangerous. Whoever told you that is wrong.

Would you like a list of car "accidents" (collisions) that have happened to me over the years? The way cars are driven by drivers is dangerous.

Here in A&S we love statistics. Cycling is one of the safest healthiest, longest living, highest quality of life as you age things you can do. Put your fear away. It is unfounded and irrational.

Last edited by base2; 05-24-24 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-24-24, 11:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,004 Times in 1,423 Posts
How many years have you been cycling? 70
How many crashes? 2
Describe each crash. Descending on a paved shoulder, saw a pedestrian in front of me, had to leave the shoulder. I forgot that the concrete pavement had a 1" high lip on it. Went down on my side, kept my hands on the bars, pressed my helmet into the pavement and slid for a while. Hole in jersey, lost a little skin on that shoulder which took a week or so to heal. No other injuries.
The second time, I was just starting a ride near my home, riding on the edge of the road while starting my computer. I went off the pavement into the grassy ditch and fell on the grass at about 5 mph. No damage.
That doesn't count my many falls when I was 7 and riding a 26" bike which I could only ride standing. The only way I could dismount was to fall over, which I did on someone's lawn. I had to mount from someone's front porch. No injuries.

What lasting injuries did you get? Zero

Otherwise, everything Base2 says, I echo except that I've never been in an automobile accident. I ride and drive fast but aware and actually cautious. Awareness is everything.
Old 05-24-24, 11:37 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,053 Times in 1,646 Posts

Don't Ride Bikes.
Are you a ghost or a haunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.