Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24, 12:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10660 Post(s)
Liked 12,332 Times in 6,310 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
That’s what we had, and then the wife picked up an air fryer at a moving back north sale. Her daughter and her sister convinced her she could not live without it. We still have the gas cooktop though
From what you've said, it sounds like the air there could work like an air fryer all by itself.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-25-24, 12:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Everything is coming together for the LeMond project. I have all the bits but one - well, two really. The cable stops for the shifter bosses should arrive today.

Yesterday I got the tool for removing and installing Shimano cartridge BBs, so I pulled the old one, which came with the bike back in 1997. I was pleased that the cups came out pretty easily - a bit of grunt to get them unstuck, but then they came out easily. a little surface rust on one side, presumably on the bottom of the BB. Luckily only surface rust in the shell that mostly came out by wiping with a paper towel.

I tested the threads with the new BB's cups, and boy, I can see how you could really screw up! I did the usual "turn backwards till it drops into the threads on the NDS, and it spun in a turn or so and stopped. Not being an idiot, I backed it out. Third time it engaged the threads right, and just spun in with very little effort.

The last tools I'm waiting for are for the headset. I didn't realize it but changing a headset requires 4 tools - one to remove the lower cup and upper race from the head tube; one to remove the fork crown race; a press to insert the new lower cup and upper race; and one to install the new fork crown race. I went with "cheap and cheerful", figuring this isn't my profession and I didn't need to spend $400 on the top-of-the-line Park Tools version. I tried to source them from the US, but it turns out that at least one of the sellers is a Chinese company, even though the listing says the item is in St Louis. I'm curious to see where it arrives from. Of course, I do expect cheap-and-cheerful tools to come from China originally, but I didn't want to wait on the vagaries of international shipping.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-25-24, 05:08 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I suspect the price would be less of a problem if they worked better.
Mrs. Dan took Humira for about 5 years for RA. She was one of the first patients treated with it in the US. The numbers from Europe indicated almost 30% of patients went into remission at some time. She was one of the fortunate 30%.

The M-Deities here wouldn't believe that she had formerly been an RA patient, but it was in her records... Yes, we spent a lot of money on it, and our insurance spent even more. But it did work for her.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 05-25-24, 05:18 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
From what I've read, in order to work on an induction stove, a pan has to be magnetic, i.e. it's not enough that it be stainless. I tested all my stainless skillets, and only one was magnetic. It's also got a copper core, so it should be perfect for induction. The others, a magnet wouldn't stick to at all. All my saucepans and stockpots are aluminum, and I have some heavy copper saucepans and sautoirs, which absolutely won't work.
Yes, to work correctly the pans used on an induction stove must be magnetic. We packed up the ones with copper or aluminum bottoms and sent them to our daughter. One was the Cuisinart griddle that has a couple of pounds of copper in the base. I bought is as a gift for my mother, then inherited it from her. Now her namesake grandchild has it.

Our induction stove can make a wok glow red hot to make wonderful stir fry. Boils a tea kettle faster than anything I have seen before, and on the lowest setting with the correct pan can melt chocolate and hold it at under 120F.

I firmly believe that people should be able to buy whatever type of stove they want. I have a wood fired oven in the back yard. But inside my house I am not wild about an open flame, unless you can arrange a way to suck all the combustion gases outside.
Old 05-25-24, 05:36 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3332 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,222 Posts
A question:
I have the mountain bike up in the stand , looking for an intermittent rotational click. While attempting to pull the nds crank arm I found this plastic gizmo. When it comes out, this nice steel cap screws in. On the ds I don’t know how to get the plastic thing out, but it appears to be only a thread protector.
Another question:
When I get the bolt out, does the crank come off with a run of the mill peanut butter wrench?
And another.
Checking all bolts for tightness,I’m finding movement in many places. Is there a torque value on the bolts that fasten the stem to the fork tube? Or can I just crank them down? Surprisingly the four chainring bolts were less than fully tight. And the handlebar bolts. I was gonna change the pedals for the second time, but that wouldn’t be much of a scientific test. Vamos a ver.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 05-25-24 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-25-24, 06:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Yes, to work correctly the pans used on an induction stove must be magnetic. We packed up the ones with copper or aluminum bottoms and sent them to our daughter. One was the Cuisinart griddle that has a couple of pounds of copper in the base. I bought is as a gift for my mother, then inherited it from her. Now her namesake grandchild has it.

Our induction stove can make a wok glow red hot to make wonderful stir fry. Boils a tea kettle faster than anything I have seen before, and on the lowest setting with the correct pan can melt chocolate and hold it at under 120F.

I firmly believe that people should be able to buy whatever type of stove they want. I have a wood fired oven in the back yard. But inside my house I am not wild about an open flame, unless you can arrange a way to suck all the combustion gases outside.
When we replaced the crappy electric "over and under", Avocado Green stove with a gas one that Mrs. GJ found at a garage sale, she also found a two-blower Viking range hood. We had to pay a bit to get a gas line run to the stove and to get the hood and stack installed. We discovered that not only will it suck out all the combustion gases from the gas stove, if we had a fire in the fireplace, it was strong enough to suck the combustion gases from the fire INSIDE. I don't think it quite reversed the draft up the flue, but it did reduce it enough that you could really smell woodsmoke in the house!

Old 05-25-24, 06:40 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 1,271 Posts
First real money century in…4 years?

Planned for 85, on my way back down one of the climbs I ran in to some folks I know heading out on an 8 day bikepacking trip so I ended up riding with them for 3 miles or so going to opposite way I was headed.

Felt great up through mile 80 or so, decided to tack on another 6ish miles to get to the full 100. Legs and back blew up right at mile 90 so the last little bit was pretty miserable.

8/10 ride though. 6500 feet or so in the middle 80 miles. Would do again.

Must have bought sweet instead of dill inadvertently. No other reason I can think to discard a full jar.

Big Trek Travel group at my water refill stop.

Old 05-25-24, 06:50 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8449 Post(s)
Liked 9,408 Times in 4,624 Posts
Did my friend's birthday ride. 5 of us, 3 e-bikes and 2 regular bikes. 76 miles with 5600 feet. Had some wind but got lucky with tailwinds for most of the long climb and more tailwind on a section of rollers where we expected head wind. Of course, we had vicious headwind on the 10% section which my friend said made it feel 4% steeper. 30mph gusts and swirling wind on the long descent. Long day.
Old 05-25-24, 07:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,100 Times in 7,560 Posts
It’s raining in camp. I’m bushed. I was the only on in the fastest group carrying their gear. My computer battery died before the start, so I can’t say for sure how fast we were going, but it was certainly more than the 12 mph it was supposed to be. I joined up with a slower group after the stop at mile 23, and even they weren’t exactly slow. And it was quite warm. 38 miles in all, with a couple of nasty hills at the end. It was nice to push myself to at least try to keep up.
Old 05-25-24, 07:27 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by abshipp

Planned for 85, on my way back down one of the climbs I ran in to some folks I know heading out on an 8 day bikepacking trip so I ended up riding with them for 3 miles or so going to opposite way I was headed.

Felt great up through mile 80 or so, decided to tack on another 6ish miles to get to the full 100. Legs and back blew up right at mile 90 so the last little bit was pretty miserable.

Must have bought sweet instead of dill inadvertently. No other reason I can think to discard a full jar.

Big Trek Travel group at my water refill stop.

Kudos.It always feels *ood until mile 80, ime. It has been a long time since I did a century. I might have done my last.
Pretty country.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 05-25-24 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-25-24, 09:37 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29002 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,365 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Mrs. Dan took Humira for about 5 years for RA. She was one of the first patients treated with it in the US. The numbers from Europe indicated almost 30% of patients went into remission at some time. She was one of the fortunate 30%.
I took Humira for a couple years or so. Stopped it not due to remission, but rather because it stopped working. Sad.
Old 05-25-24, 09:37 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Quoted: 29002 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,365 Posts
Old 05-25-24, 11:39 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 13052 Post(s)
Liked 7,980 Times in 4,248 Posts

So you didn't eat any pickles?
Old 05-26-24, 05:10 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 8988 Post(s)
Liked 3,154 Times in 1,813 Posts
Tuesday is moving day. Yesterday the wife and I took 3 trips each to the new house with our SUV's loaded with totes full of junk. We will repeat the same today and tomorrow. With an almost 1 hour round trip it took 6 hours hauling that from our basement to the cars then up to the attic of the new place. After we were done we showered and ate pizza at about 3:30 PM. When I got back, I slept from around 5 until 7:30.

Just to confirm my suspicion, I got on the scale and I've lost 10 pounds in the last month or so. Back at 171 but I'd still need to lose 30 pounds before I wasn't too fat for this sport.

I hope I make it through today and tomorrow. I've got to cut the grass today at the new place, thank God it only takes 25 minutes. Rain 80% chance for tomorrow.

#NoRestForTheWicked
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 05-26-24, 06:07 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 11039 Post(s)
Liked 4,783 Times in 2,180 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Just to confirm my suspicion, I got on the scale and I've lost 10 pounds in the last month or so. Back at 171 but I'd still need to lose 30 pounds before I wasn't too fat for this sport.
I'm a stress eater. Guess what I stress about the most? Gaining weight.

Old 05-26-24, 06:11 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 11039 Post(s)
Liked 4,783 Times in 2,180 Posts
Rain this morning. Rain starting again mid morning. Rain again this afternoon and again tonight. It's going to be one of those days where it looks like it's going to dry up enough for a ride and then it rains.

Errands and Netflix day.

Old 05-26-24, 06:41 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Quoted: 12045 Post(s)
Liked 6,840 Times in 3,563 Posts

Half sours are my preference.
Old 05-26-24, 06:51 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Quoted: 12045 Post(s)
Liked 6,840 Times in 3,563 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Tuesday is moving day. Yesterday the wife and I took 3 trips each to the new house with our SUV's loaded with totes full of junk. We will repeat the same today and tomorrow. With an almost 1 hour round trip it took 6 hours hauling that from our basement to the cars then up to the attic of the new place. After we were done we showered and ate pizza at about 3:30 PM. When I got back, I slept from around 5 until 7:30.

I hope I make it through today and tomorrow. I've got to cut the grass today at the new place, thank God it only takes 25 minutes. Rain 80% chance for tomorrow.

#NoRestForTheWicked
OMG Brings back memories of 2 years ago when we moved. The older you get the worse the nightmare. Hang in there.
Old 05-26-24, 06:55 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 11499 Post(s)
Liked 4,914 Times in 2,839 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Rain this morning. Rain starting again mid morning. Rain again this afternoon and again tonight. It's going to be one of those days where it looks like it's going to dry up enough for a ride and then it rains.

Errands and Netflix day.
They *may* get the Indy 500 in today. Once the cars start going around the track, the vortex may come into play. It works better at Bristol, and other short tracks, but does come into play at the superspeedways, to some extent.

#vortextheory #DarrellWaltrip
Old 05-26-24, 07:40 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Kudos.It always feels *ood until mile 80, ime. It has been a long time since I did a century. I might have done my last.
Pretty country.
I had actually forgotten that my body doesn't like mile 90 for whatever reason. On most of the 200k rides I've done that mileage marker has been a pretty dark time mentally and physically for me.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
So you didn't eat any pickles?
Looked to me like all the juice was gone. Nobody wants a dried out pickle.

Originally Posted by BillyD
Half sours are my preference.
Can't say I've ever had those.
Old 05-26-24, 07:43 AM
seedsbelize2

Well well well. A deep subject. I spent the whole ride going through the list to try and isolate the noise. It, or the bulk of it is resonating through the frame. Getting out of the saddle doesn’t do it. Backpedaling either. Coasting stops it. And then in the last half km it dawned on me. I’m not clipped in and I have a steady tick tock on each down stroke. It has Truvative mtb pedals on it, with the spikes, so with effort and concentration I can pedal circles. And that silenced it. But it’s not a solution I can live with. It’s a start though.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 05-26-24 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-26-24, 07:47 AM
abshipp 

Oh dang that was sub 7h moving time. I felt really slow but that was by far the fastest 100 I've ever done, and the hilliest by about 3k.

Of course, those other long rides I did were back when I was all in on 650b mid-century constructeur bike cosplay. 20lb road bike is a bit easier to push than 30lb vintage steel with a lunchbox on the front.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 05-26-24, 08:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8449 Post(s)
Liked 9,408 Times in 4,624 Posts

Kbd · Ride with GPS

Last edited by big john; 05-26-24 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-26-24, 08:19 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2837 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 1,797 Posts
SCNCA district TTT champs, 4 man 140+ combined age division: 3rd/3 teams. Time for the 40k was 50:52, but that should have been 90 or so seconds faster.

We missed a turn while I was on front… oops. I’d raced it several times before too. No biggie, we recognized it quickly thanks to a No Outlet sign (lol) and got back on course. Checking Strava Flyby, it may have been up to 90 seconds. That might have been good enough for second, the first place team was just too fast with a 48:23.

This year was totally wild due to a 20-23 MPH prevailing wind from West to East. I knew that as well on the weather report… should have brought a different front wheel. I was on a 90 mm wheel and the lightest rider.

TBH I was only able to put out my full intended power on the tailwind stretch of the rectangle (which gets ridden twice); during the other three lengths I was mostly focused on not crashing haha. I felt pretty sketched out in our echelon on the crosswind lengths. A teammate rubbing against my disc wheel once didn’t help. On the final, second tailwind straight, I had tons of gas left and was doing 1 minute turns at 320-350 watts, not often you get to go 32 MPH up a rolling false flat! I heard “DOWN, DOWN” a couple times when I was trying to empty the tank .

But most importantly – we had fun! Good energy and vibes out there and great communication, we were really in sync. This year, I was the team captain, strongest workhorse, and the only rider with prior experience in the discipline on our team. We now have three new TTT riders that are absolutely stoked on next year’s race – I call that a win in my book!

at the start line, I'm the closest rider (in the blue kit)

obligatory team photo on the box. I'm the smaller of the two on the top step with the blue socks

Last edited by TMonk; 05-26-24 at 08:25 AM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-26-24, 08:24 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2837 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 1,797 Posts
Oh dang that was sub 7h moving time. I felt really slow but that was by far the fastest 100 I've ever done, and the hilliest by about 3k.

Of course, those other long rides I did were back when I was all in on 650b mid-century constructeur bike cosplay. 20lb road bike is a bit easier to push than 30lb vintage steel with a lunchbox on the front.
Sub 7 for a solo century with that much climbing ain't no slouch! Nice ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.